Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts
Default XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing

Jaguar Bluetooth has been the subject of numerous threads. There are three regular issues:

1. identifying whether a particular vehicle is fitted with Bluetooth
2. determining which mobile phones are compatible
3. pairing a compatible mobile phone

The following guide covers these issues:

JAGUAR XK8 - Bluetooth Telephone Setup.pdf

Further information can be found in the Jaguar In-Car telephone Handbook which can be downloaded as a PDF from here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2003-a-67827/

The main limitation of the Jaguar system is that only one phone at a time can be paired. However, once the pairing technique has been mastered, switching default phones only takes a couple of minutes.

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
Andy Cox (02-12-2014), cgaechief (05-07-2021), frankc (10-10-2014), Terry Young (01-03-2013), xserty (10-07-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BT confusion

Graham,
I just read your pdf with interest, confused by a conversation earlier today with a local Jag dealer who stated that there was no bluetooth capability for my '03 XKR, yet your document suggests 2003>2006. I have taken the center console/armrest top off and see at the bottom center of the pix there is a unused yellow connector that presumeably allows said hookup but I am unclear as to what part number I should order for this adaptation?
Jerry

Attached Thumbnails XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing-phone-interface-connector.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 AM
GGG

Jaguar have never been entirely at ease with new technology and generally lagged behind other manufacturers in adopting. When they finally adopt, it tends to be already outdated.

Bluetooth is an example of this and their installation is barely adequate. It was offered with the introduction of the 4.2 in the UK but appears to be a rarely requested option. The reason for this is probably the small number of compatible phones and the unreasonable additional cost from Jaguar.

I can find references to earlier fixed Motorola installations being made available later for the US market but no similar information for Bluetooth. However, I've no doubt the dealer is correct and it was made available later than 2003 in the US.

The yellow connector in your pic is for the telephone but is likely to be for the earlier fixed type. Confusingly the same connector is used in both. Here is my 2001 which had been butchered by the PO for an aftermarket phone install. (I tidied this up and fitted Parrot CK3100):

And this is my 2005 with Bluetooth fitted:

The same yellow phone connector is used in both vehicles.

If my present XKR hadn't had Bluetooth, I definitely wouldn't have considered retro fitting the Jaguar equipment. I had removed the CK3100 from my earlier XK8 ready to fit to the 2005 before I found it had Bluetooth.

Jaguar Bluetooth pairs with a restricted, and largely outdated range of phones but the biggest downside is it can only be paired with one phone. If you have more than one phone, it can't be setup to pair with whichever one it finds - you have to go through the whole pairing process each time.

The yellow connector can be used to connect better aftermarket Bluetooth than the Jaguar system.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing-2001-telephone-connector-socket.jpg   XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing-2005-cubby-box-liner-removed.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
123go (07-19-2022)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I just became the proud owner of a 2005 xk8. It has a Motorola T605 Bluetooth. Been reading all the posts regarding the challenges getting the T605 to pair with your cell. I have an iPhone 4. I don't have any problems pairing the phone or with dialing out from the T605 or from the steering wheel. My problem is making contact. Specifically hearing the caller or them hearing me.
When I place the call, my radio volume doesn't lower, the called party hears my radio but not me. On my end, I hear no one (either from my phone or from the car).
Can anyone assist?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Jstephen
I just became the proud owner of a 2005 xk8. It has a Motorola T605 Bluetooth...............
This thread is about the factory installed Jaguar Bluetooth system and not aftermarket devices.

I suggest you start a new thread 'Motorola T605 Bluetooth - won't mute' to get advice on the T605 installation and configuration.

Congratulations on the 2005. Other than the phone issue, hope you're enjoying it.

Graham

Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion will do.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG_______ wont display

I read through your PDF. The first time through every thing seemed to be working. The head unit went through each step. When I tried to enter the first number I hesitated and double checked the number again. When I looked back at the head unit the screen was blank and I couldn't go any further. Now every time I try to redo the procedure the screen goes blank after the "No phone". I've tried everything but can't proceed any further. How do I reset the head unit to try the procedure again?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by khaskins
........When I tried to enter the first number I hesitated and double checked the number again. When I looked back at the head unit the screen was blank and I couldn't go any further........
It sounds like you have entered too many digits and hit the limit. At this stage, nothing displays.

To clear them, enter Discovery Code ##1#*# then press the C/TA button repeatedly. Ten presses is sufficient to clear all previously entered digits.

Graham

Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newbie with '04 XK8 convertible, interested in the bluetooth threads. (posting to get the points

Old 04-05-2014, 03:53 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by wsimoncm
Newbie with '04 XK8 convertible, interested in the bluetooth threads. (posting to get the points
Welcome to the forum wsimoncm,

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome, some useful advice about posting to the forum ........ and double your post count!

Graham

Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 XK8 phone system

I don't have a clue as to how I might make the in car phone system operational. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Thank You

Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by bernie f
I don't have a clue as to how I might make the in car phone system operational. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Thank You
Do you have a Jaguar phone fitted?

All vehicles have the phone button on the Audio head unit. Most also have the steering wheel phone buttons and the overhead microphone. However, very few have the factory installed Jaguar phone.

Graham

Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked, and no, my car does not have the Jaguar phone installed. Is there anything that I can do that would not be too difficult or for that matter, very expensive? Thanks for your help, I deeply appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
GGG

No need to feel you've missed out. Two things Jaguar are always behind in development is audio and telephone.

I fitted Parrot Bluetooth CK3100 in my 2001 XK8 which was the last model I had without factory Bluetooth:

CK & MKi Ranges - Parrot USA

It was low cost, a reasonably neat installation (circled in red) and reliable.

If I was looking for an aftermarket solution now, I'd be going for the one with phone and audio combined. Technology moves fast and members may be able to advise other options.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing-parrot.jpg  
bernie f (08-02-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Excellent article.

Do you know where the microphone is on the convertible? On the A pillar? By the mirror perhaps?

Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 AM
GGG

Not sure where it is on the convertible but this is what you are looking for (microphone circled in red):

XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing-microphone.jpg

Graham

Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Convertible is just a tad farther forward and maybe a bit closer to visor..

GGG (10-10-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I have been impressed by some of the latest Parrot devices. My opinions were clouded by Parrot systems of a few years ago.

Having seen so many on this forum going for that option I must admit they have improved quite a bit. I particularly like the voice activated options, always been the one for boys toys.

But all this is on hold until I have the Jag system in front of me, hopefully, next week.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth adapter in center console

Does anybody know the part number for the factory bluetooth adapter located the center console that connects to the large yellow connetor? I have been trying to get this from EuroJag for a year with no luck and thought I might try to order it from Jaguar direct. Thanks in advance for any information!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

To save me going out in the pouring rain to pull my armrest to bits can anyone tell me if all 2003 XKR have the yellow connector under there?

If it does what sort of connector do I need to install a Parrot system to the car so I can perhaps use the cars answer button on the steering wheel? Or is that not possible?

You guys are a mine of information on here. One day, hopefully soon, I will be posting more answers than questions

Ohh I have been in contact with Jag and I do not have a phone installed or had one from the factory.

Quick Reply: XK8/XKR Bluetooth - phone pairing