Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR problems

Hi

I own a mint 1998 XKR. One of the first off the line. I have owned it for 11 years now and it has run perfectly until recently.

I started to get a noise, something like a bearing rumble but from the engine.
I took it to a garage and the mechanic said, go up the road and turn around and come back to warm her up. The noise was getting worse so we pulled it into the garage. When I went to switch off there was a clatter and stutter from the engine and even though we have checked all the items listed below she will not start again.
First suspect was a supercharger bearing. Checked that and it seems to be turning smoothly. Next was the timing chain tensioners which were replaced two years ago with the uprated kit. Seems OK. We have stripped down the whole of the top of the motor and can't find anything.

Fuses have been checked, the diagnostic shows nothing, plugs changed. All the usual stuff and still nothing

We are wondering if the immobiliser has cut in as when I press the button on the key fob she beeps. Press again to set the alarm and she beeps twice more like a beep bop!! not heard that before.

Anyone know how to set the immobiliser???

Any ideas about the other problems greatly appreciated

Regards

Nick

Old 10-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Need a better description! By not restarting, do you mean it wont crank over or it cranks over but wont fire up? If you press the remote it should beep once. That confirms everything is locked and the alarm is armed. Upon unlocking, pressing once unlocks the driver door and trunk only. A second quick press unlocks the passenger door, but no beep. The locks can be programmed by a dealer to operate differently if desired. The owners manual should explain this.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Does the engine have compression?

Old 10-09-2016, 06:04 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting back to me.

The engine has good compression. We carried out a compression test on all cylinders.

The engine turns over but does not fire.

As I said if you press the unlock button once on the fob and the car beeps. Press it again and it beeps twice, but the second beep is not the same sound. Can't recall that happening before???

The noise seemed to be coming from the top of the engine which is why we thought it was the supercharger.
The top tensioners were replaced two years ago.
Is it possible the timing chain has jumped as the mechanic said that the left bank chain was slacker than the right..

I really appreciate your help..

Regards Nick

Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The knocking could be from the VVT’s. I would recommend that you use a stethoscope to pinpoint the problem.

As for the no start you should make sure you have spark and fuel you already said you have compression but you need all three. If you think the security system is the problem look and see if the security light is blinking on the console. I will add a link for a no start procedure. I hope it helps.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
Roger_B (10-20-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Have you checked for fuel pressure? Sounds like it could have been a failing and now failed fuel pump.

Gus did not notice it was an XKR, there are no VVTs on the XKR.

One trick is to remove the fuel pump #1 relay. This will force the fuel pump #2 into regular service (it normally is only used under high fuel demand situations) after about 6 restart attempts. This obviously would only work if fuel pump #1 is bad and fuel pump #2 is good.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Gus (10-09-2016), Jip (10-24-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

This is why its important to list year and type of car in your profile signature!

Old 10-09-2016, 02:30 PM

Hi Again

Thanks for all the tips. I now need to start working though all the possibles

Any other suggestions appreciated

Regards

Nick

Old 10-13-2016, 02:59 AM

Hi Again

More XKR problems

It seems that the guys working on my car have managed to activate the immobilizer code and now the car is in lock down.

Anyone know how or where to find this code , or where to go to ask for it.. Jaguar maybe????

Thanks again

Nick

Old 10-13-2016, 03:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Nick,

Two separate issues in this thread - the rumbling noise and the security system. It's always best to keep a thread on a single topic and start a new thread for a different topic.

I've added vehicle details to your Signature as you have been asked to do this several times but have failed to do so. This will appear automatically with your next post.

NOTE: the UK & European security sytem on the early XK8/XKR operates differently from the US system. In UK & Europe, unlocking with the key does NOT disarm the security system.

The second (different) tone you are getting could be the error tone. This occurs when the door, bonnet or luggage compartment is not properly closed. These may actually be closed but a faulty microswitch can give a false 'open' signal.

Not sure what you mean by 'activated the immobiliser code' ........

Graham

Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 AM

Thanks for that.
I did look to see where I could put the details, but I guess I'm a bit stressed out with this problem and I forgot..

All the advice I am getting is to take it to a Jaguar Dealer and soak up the cost..
I have had the car for 11 years without any problems and upgraded tensioners and services as required.

Time to bite the bullet..

Regards

Nick

Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by baliniere

Time to bite the bullet..
Or try and sort the problem yourself. Again, what do you mean by 'activated the immobiliser code'? There's no point going to Jaguar to fix a non-existent problem - it sounds like whoever is working on the car is out of their depth, but there's a wealth of info and experience on this forum that costs nothing.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 AM

I am OK on mechanics and can fix most things, but I don't have the expertise or kit to sort out the complicated electrical problems, or with the cars computers..
I really appreciate the advice and benefit of experience that you guys give and it is great to point somebody in the right direction, but I think what I need now is hands on expertise, with the right diagnostic kit.

Believe me .. I would much rather do it myself and save a shed load of money..

Regards

Nick

Old 10-19-2016, 12:29 AM

One thing I notice in your posts is a lack of engine error codes. You say "the diagnostic shows nothing", does that mean there were no error codes?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 AM

Hi

Thanks for your post.

That is correct. No error codes show up at all..

Weird!!!

Nick

Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

Are you certain that your mechanic is competent with these cars? I ask because I wonder if the lack of codes is due to a lack of ability to access them, and I was very suspicious of the suggestion of having 'activated the immobiliser code' because I don't think that's a real thing!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:18 AM

The garage specializes in sports cars of all kinds and has been talking to Jaguar to get their opinion. In addition I have been in contact with the Jaguar Enthusiasts club of which I am a member and the guys there know all there is to know

We have got the car cranking and the immobilizer light has gone off. and now think that the primary fuel pump in the tank could be the problem.
The noise we heard from the engine may have been 'pinking' form lack of fuel?????

Old 10-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

My friend, you keep using a term, immobilizer or immobilizer code. What does that mean ? Several folks have asked but I don't see the answer and I don't know what it means. Could you please tell us ?

Old 10-22-2016, 03:43 PM

On the XK8 XKR there is an engine immobilizer fitted operated from the Key Fob.
One of the suggestions that I got from Jaguar was that the key could have been dropped damaging the chip inside the fob

We checked this out by using the second fob and the valet key::

This is separate from the alarm system...

Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It could also be the exciter ring at the lock not reading the key.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Quick Reply: XKR problems