XKSS road going version of the D type 1957

D-type question: where did the Michelotti body go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D-type question: where did the Michelotti body go?

On XKD513 I read the story on the Michelotti bodied version built on the car after its LeMans crash by Michelotti but I got a little lost what happened to the Michelotti body. Was that put on another Jag or some other chassis and is out and about today. I don't put it in the same class as the Aston Martin Bertone Jet by Giugiaro while at Bertone but still it seems in retropsect, as far as value the car would be worth more as a one off Italian bodied D-type than as a D-type. Maybe one reason that Michelotti body doesn't get no respect is that it looks too Triumph-ish, Michelotti having down at least two Triumph production car designs. Any opinions?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

It is a mystery, I can't seem to find any information other than the body was sold and rebuilt with an e-type 4.2 chassis and sold. The last record I could find was 2011 but no information on it's whereabouts. The chassis was rebuilt with a proper D-type body and failed to sell at auction in 2009 (reserve not met) there is a good story here: 1955 Jaguar XK-D D-Type Images, Information and History (XKD) | Conceptcarz.com and some very good pics (unrelated but great C&D type images) here: Photo Gallery - Jaguar Club of Central Arizona these pics were apparently posted by Terry Larson
, the last owner of the chassis, and feature Norman Dewis!

Last edited by MarcB; 07-28-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surprised the D-type hasn't come up at auction since

I ran across pictures of the Michelotti body on the replacement chassis (missed that it was an e-type) now painted red, but though it was interesting, it seems to have details that are mix-and-match like taillights from some existing car, etc. I consider the value of that far below the D-type chassis, more like some cast off clothing of an actress, that had momentary fame in a movie scene. In fact that T-type might be worth more if it got its original body back.

Here's the website, thos rear taillight installations are laughably sloppy
COACHBUILD.com - Where is Michelotti’s D-type?

Interested in any opinions on whether this body is signiciant on its E-type donor chassis vis-a-vis a real D-type?