Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Question about 05 - x - Premium Sport Audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 05 - x - Premium Sport Audio

Hi - I am the proud owner of a Xtype 2.0d Premium Sport - bought in the UK. I have a few questions about the Audio System. Unfortunately the car didnt come with any manuals so I am unsure of a couple of things.

1. I thought the Premium came std with Amp and Subs? Reason I ask is there are no subs in mine and I cant find the AMP
2. What Head unit (HU) is installed? or how can I find out? The multi-changer looks like Alpine!
3. Can I install an AMP easily?
4. Does the HU have RCA's and how many?
5. If I need to get into view the HU please can you show me pictures on how to do it?
6. What size are the components in the front and back doors?

Thanks in advance

Del

Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: Question about 05 - x - Premium Sport Audio

del, send Aquill a personal message. He has (or recently had) a sport and is quite the audio officianado. He is a little busy with a brand new baby, but if you send him a PM, he'll get an email and most likely shoot you a message back helping you out. Good luck bud!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Jim,
If your car is -2004 then the amp will be under the rear parcel shelf buillt into the sub box.
If you car is 2004- then the amp will be in the boot behind the LH trimnext tothe side wall.
Name:  DSC01728.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  41.7 KB
Name:  DSC01732.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  49.8 KB
The HU and amp are connected to the speedo and if your car has a cd changer,voice control and satnav.All of theseunits are connected together using a D2b lead (fibre optic).All must be daisy chained correctly for the system and any of the components on the fibre optic system to function correctly.
To remover the HU see this link:-
http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=138
The components in the doors are 6.5"
A bit more info here:-
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_42905/tm.htm

Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I knew you would come thru Buck!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Hi Buck - Thank you for the info - my car is 2005 so the AMP should be over the CD Changer - unfortunately there is not one there and no subs either obvioulsly removed. I did see your install (looks good) but didn't know if that was the stock location for the AMP.

I don't have SAT NAV, and I don't think I have voice control, pressing the Voice button on steering wheel just mutes the stereo, the speedo works so everything works but I don't know what options are available to me for adding an amp and changing the speakers but could do with more advise please.

Is there any way to determine if the stereo has RCA's without stipping the console out? I was thinking of setting it up an 3 or 5 channel AMP across the back seats - as they are fixed. which would power two sets of components and a 10" sub. If RCA wasnt available I have seen some amps that accept High level input from spker cables - Although not the best would allow me to keep stock HU.

You state the front doors are 6.5" but are the back doors 6.5" aswell?

Your tweeter builds are custom builds are you aware of any aftermarket ones for the x-type or did you look for them?
I hope your build isn't copyrighted as I like what you did and I think I want to copy both door builds. I have the tweeter in the front handle surrounds so I just need to swap them over.

Lastly did you get an itemised bill of your install - I know the total build was 855gbp but do you know how much the actual sub enclosure would cost? I am just trying to compare cost with Ireland. I was thinking custom sub build or I would consider a 10" bazooka bass tube - I used to have one years ago in my ford fiesta - they were great and dont take up much space.

Lastly did you power directly off the Car Battery- I think I would have to considering this typ of build?

sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: del420t
Hi Buck - Thank you for the info - my car is 2005 so the AMP should be over the CD Changer - unfortunately there is not one there and no subs either obvioulsly removed. I did see your install (looks good) but didn't know if that was the stock location for the AMP.
I don't have SAT NAV, and I don't think I have voice control, pressing the Voice button on steering wheel just mutes the stereo, the speedo works so everything works but I don't know what options are available to me for adding an amp and changing the speakers but could do with more advise please.
Is there any way to determine if the stereo has RCA's without stipping the console out? I was thinking of setting it up an 3 or 5 channel AMP across the back seats - as they are fixed. which would power two sets of components and a 10" sub. If RCA wasnt available I have seen some amps that accept High level input from spker cables - Although not the best would allow me to keep stock HU.
You state the front doors are 6.5" but are the back doors 6.5" aswell?
Your tweeter builds are custom builds are you aware of any aftermarket ones for the x-type or did you look for them?
I hope your build isn't copyrighted as I like what you did and I think I want to copy both door builds. I have the tweeter in the front handle surrounds so I just need to swap them over.
Lastly did you get an itemised bill of your install - I know the total build was 855gbp but do you know how much the actual sub enclosure would cost? I am just trying to compare cost with Ireland. I was thinking custom sub build or I would consider a 10" bazooka bass tube - I used to have one years ago in my ford fiesta - they were great and dont take up much space.
Lastly did you power directly off the Car Battery- I think I would have to considering this typ of build?
sorry for so many questions.
Thanks
Thats the only location for the stock amp.
The rears are 6.5" too.
There headunit hasno RCA's.
When taking advice befor emy stereo upgrade I was toldby some audio installers they would need to tap into the speaker cables and add a diode??? to cut out unwanted frequencies????
My tweeter biulds were custom as the installer wreckoned they would give more depth and stage peresence to thesound dynamics in the car.
The original donor front door handle tweeters grills were then placed in the rear handle area to add tweeters in the back.Dont worry they are not copyrighted.
If I rememeber the sub box with Focal sub was around £300ish???
Im not sure if they took a cable straight from thebattery but I can ask them.
Maybe the custom wiring harness had all the neccessary wiring as others who have used the harness javent had to add an extra power wire, although I could be wrong??
Or if you want to ring theaudio installeryourself look on 192.com and their name is Bassmechanix,Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey del if you're considering getting the bass tube you should check into shallow mount pioneer subs. You can get a really small box for them and pretty much put them anywhere. I've heard the 12's in a silverado with a cheap ssl amp and they sound nice.

I can't remember what size fuse is inside the back panel in the boot but I think it was 20a-40a...if it's a 40a fuse you could run a mtx 2301 or this mtx amp with a 30a fuse LINK...

With those amps you could power these subs...

You could also go with a single 12/dual 12 and go that route.

You have a ton of options it just depends on what you want out of it and what you want to spend. The bazooka would probably be the least expensive of them all.

I was looking at adding this to the jag just because there is a power wire in the trunk and this only pulls 20 amps...LINK
I saw that exact sub at circuitcity on clearance for like 150-180 so obviously crutchfield wants a hefty chunk for it.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there just got your pm hopefully the post above helps!? Let me know if you need anything else! Buck would be a good source for pics and info about his install as well!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks guys - you have been a great help.

I understand I have to be careful of the Canbus system but can I just draw the high lvl inputs from the speakers and either go the cheap route and convert them using a speaker to RCA converter or use a line level converter - such as Audiocontrol LC6i - http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/pr...uct_Id=222456#.

Also Do the standard speaker come with Passive crossovers?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM

Hi Guys - Any further answers would be great. I have inherited most of the stereo upgrade from my brother - I forgot the equipment he had when he left for Australia. Result for me

I have a 4Ch Kenwood Amp - To power the Main speakers
I have a Class D mono amp- With a JL 10" Sub in enclosed Box.

No I need a set of Comps. Going for Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe.

I also have a Kenwood indash DVD if I can fit this but may keep this stock if the job is easier.

But I am still unsure of the wiring up. Do I need a separate wiring loom if so where can I get one in UK/Eire? Do I draw straight off the Speaker cables there and input into I line Converter such as the Audiocontrol LC6i.

Would this all work.

Thanks in Advance

Del

Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there del,
Just came across this thread. Do you still need help?

If so let me know...

Old 11-02-2008, 04:36 PM

Hi Aquill1

Yes I still need help please. I need help around using the stock HU and how I cable in the amps and speakers.

If I can do it myself I will I just need to understand the pitfalls.
would you have a wiring diagram of the stereo?
Also do you have experience of line out converter? if so do you rate the L6Ci?
do I need and other cables to add in the line converter?

Lastly would you put the converter under the stereo at the front and run RCAs to the rear or would oyu just run the spker cables to the rear with short RCAs? I have heard conflicting info maybe you can clarify this please.

Thanks Del

Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Let's get this thread back on the map. I have the same question as Del here since I've been looking at the LC6i and LC8i from Audio Control to facilitate an upgrade to my Bass. I have the 10 speaker Alpine Premium Sound in my '06, but the bass speakers in the back shelf just don't get enough power to sound worth a damn. So I want to upgrade the speakers in the back shelf without sacrificing the bells and whistles of the steering controls, Bluetooth, hands-free, etc... The LC6i/LC8i allows high level inputs to convert to RCA outputs so you can wire up an amp. I know that the LC6i or 8i will work, the only question is the talk in other posts about fiber optics or loss in functionality with the bells and whistles. It seems, from what I've read, that the wiring to the amp isn't as simple as implementing a high level to low level control unit so run subs or the inside speakers.

I think what I need clarity on, and maybe Del, is what's going to get screwed up by taking the speaker wires from the stock amp, or the stock HU, and routing them through a high level control unit? What are these fiber optics that have been discussed? Why can't simple things like wiring a stereo be rudimentary in these cars? I remember piggy backing off the wires on a stock stereo in my old OLD Oldsmobile (86) years ago and it never effected anything necessary. Of course that was a decades old car, lol!

Last edited by ugotmale; 12-12-2012 at 02:55 AM.