Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-23/)
-   -   My homebrew D2B aux input adapter (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-23/my-homebrew-d2b-aux-input-adapter-120940/)

veffremov 06-30-2014 03:26 AM

My homebrew D2B aux input adapter

Early stage, I'm able to play music via the aux in. The control is via PC at the moment, once I iron-out the issues would move it to a standalone micro-controller.

It should work with my Jag setup as well. I'll try it in the next few days.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2s&usp=sharing

anindyam 07-03-2014 07:20 PM

Sweet! When are you gonna sell me one so I can get away from the FM modulator I have in the car now? ;-)

veffremov 07-04-2014 03:45 PM

In a few months maybe. For the Jag the most difficult part to obtain is the optical connector. It's made by TYCO/AMP, but it's practically unobtainium as it's covered by some weird licensing restrictions.

I'm working on a model that can be 3d printed. I have some success, however I put that on hold until I finish the software for the device.

For the next version the plan it to be able to connect your phone via bluetooth; those are only plans though ;-)

veffremov 10-18-2014 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got it working with a Jag radio. Here is a pic of the radio playing CD1 from the phantom cd changer device.

anindyam 10-20-2014 12:57 PM

That's great! Put it in a box and sell it to me!

bucktooth 10-21-2014 01:27 PM

Congratulations,:icon_beerchug: maybe eventually you can write up a HOW TO sticky

veffremov 12-26-2014 05:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After about 6 months the project is finally ready for prime time. I got a nice 3D printed blue box.

Somewhere along the way it gained Bluetooth audio streaming, so I can finally listen to pandora in my jag.

bucktooth 12-30-2014 04:15 PM

Looking good veffremov, are you ready for install? "Luv that box"

veffremov 12-31-2014 09:45 AM

Here it is installed.

3 Attachment(s)
The bluetooth dongle is not very happy in the trunk. The phone works great if I put it in the passenger seat, but starts to hickup if I get it in the drivers seat.

I'll get a USB extension cable and put the bluetooth dongle on the back shelf, hopefully that would help.

PS: the box is covered in copper tape, not painted "gold" ;-)

bucktooth 12-31-2014 03:16 PM

Hows your USB interface working out. Sound quality? Just put it in CDC mode?

veffremov 12-31-2014 07:21 PM

If you look at the first picture in post #7, the device contains 2 boards. The green board is a raspberry pi A+, which handles the bluetooth streaming with a little software that I wrote. From the PI the audio goes over the second board that does the D2B protocol handling. The second board is all my contraption. The audio is digital all the way. The only quality loss is the bluetooth encoding, but that is unavoidable.

sfletc 01-04-2015 10:20 AM

Really interested in doing something similar - can you share anything regarding the D2B protocol handling? - I was hoping to manage most of this through the Pi - bespoke boards is over my head. BTW I though I'd salvage optical connector from an existing CD changer - is that going to work? - cheers in advance for any pointers / advice you can share

veffremov 01-04-2015 04:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
USB dongle found a new home - on the back shelf. So far reception is good, we'll see how it fares in the commute tomorrow morning.

veffremov 01-04-2015 04:24 PM

@sfletc PM me I'll send you the pinout for the CD changer optical board.

sfletc 01-07-2015 01:54 PM

veffremov, thanks - I can't send you a PM at the moment as I'm still 'restricted' having only just joined! Hadn't realised there was a 10 post rule, not to worry...I'll drop you a PM as soon as I can.

veffremov 01-21-2015 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The chip that handles the optical bus is OCC8001 codename Conan. To get information how to hook it up google for "be3300 schematics" - this is a head unit for Mercedes Benz. It uses the same optical bus, just different optical connectors.

I'm attaching the pinout of the flat cable of the cd-changer optical board. It it she same cable for Mercedes or Jaguar - again the optical board only difference is the fiber optic connector.

fullitorrrrrrr 02-05-2015 07:13 PM

this is a fantastic project you're working on there, and I'm extremely interested (2004 VDP), keep up the good work!

samm000 03-02-2015 05:20 AM

Nice work veffremov,

Could i get a how to guide from you? You can pm.

Thnx, cheers

Dz1rfj 09-03-2015 05:07 PM

veffremov,

Wow - You are a patient person, that's great. I just picked up a 2008 Xj8-L, and am frustrated by the lack of reasonably priced options. While I am not certain what market demand might be, there is a demand, and while I speak for myself, I could see spending $500 for kit to connect usb, and bluetooth to my factory controls....

Great project, wish I had your knowledge and patience, but I do not ...

Do you have any plans to sell a kit?

veffremov 09-03-2015 08:30 PM

Here it is:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...3/#post1231364

No USB or Aux-in, just bluetooth and music only.