Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

X150 audio saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts
Question X150 audio saga

Hello all

I've been into car audio for over 20 years now. I thought upgrading the system in my 2008 XKR would be no problem, boy was I wrong. I've been doing a ton of research here and other places, but maybe some of you can help me avoid some pitfalls. I'll try and keep all my ???s and journey contained in this thread.

I am mostly concerned with audio input at this point. I want to get my phone talking to the factory head unit. I do not have the ACM module, and can't seem to find one anywhere. My ideal end goal would be displaying track info on the stock screen while retaining full steering wheel controls. Apple Carplay would be AMAZING. This is what my media stack looks like:

X150 audio saga-uv6wnsm.jpg

Top unit is Sat Radio, middle is obviously the NAV DVD, I'm not sure what the bottom one is.

So far I see my options as:

1. Wait for a stock ACM to turn up on EBAY. I'm not patient enough for this. Also, the price for one seems to be high for what you get. I'm reading that the Denison Gateway 500 for the Mercedes may be the same unit but can't find anything concrete that it will work.

2. Use an FM transmitter. This is my last resort, I REALLY would prefer a wired solution.

3. NavTools. The demo videos online look impressive, but the price is a bit high and I hear the company as a whole is less than reliable. I'm also not sure if, in my application, the touch screen would work or I would need to navigate with their add on knob.

4. Not use the factory unit for audio. AXXESS says their AWSC-1 can interface with the Jag steering wheel controls. Then, I could install an aftermarket head unit in the glove box or somewhere and completely re-wire the car with a redundant sound system.

I want to try the NavTools setup but there just isn't enough info out there, especially in my particular video. The Navtools setup emulates the NAV DVD player. I wish there was a unit that would emulate the XM Radio device and allow for Ipod control, but I don't think such a device exists.

I'm still doing a bunch of research, but I'm going to need something soon because this crappy AM/FM isn't cutting it.

Any tips or advice are appreciated!

-Beau

Also, yes I'm aware the exhaust sounds good.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:44 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Option 5.

Update the touchscreen and gateway software to the 2009 version, add the factory iPod/USB hardware, add a WMA1000 and have bluetooth streaming from your phone, with track info via the iPod menu.

Only problem is I don't know anyone in Seattle who can help you with the programming.

The following users liked this post:
guy (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Option 5.

add the factory iPod/USB hardware,
This seems to be the hard part of that option.

I found this. My volume on the steering wheel would still work, but not track forward / back.

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT15...or-jaguar.html

Old 04-16-2019, 07:59 PM

I just found this. Jag isn't on the compatibility list but land Rover is. I'm going to send them a message.

M2.Connect MOST | mObridge

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts
Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I've read that thread before. What this tells me is I need to find an ACM kit... somehow.

*edit

This guy? NavTV MOSTAUX-JAG

https://www.nav.tv/products/jaguar-a...ut-mostaux-jag

Last edited by Beau M; 04-16-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-16-2019, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'd go this route if you can:

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...rom_vin_b00379

This is the ACM you need. Install DIY is about 30-45 minutes. You still need to have it activated using SDD. Dealership would probably charge you an hour labor to activate.

Last edited by Sean W; 04-16-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I'd go this route if you can:

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...rom_vin_b00379

This is the ACM you need. Install DIY is about 30-45 minutes. You still need to have it activated using SDD. Dealership would probably charge you an hour labor to activate.
Good news! www.rimmerbros.com say they have 5 more in stock, I bought one and it just shipped. When it gets here I'll toss it in then go bend over for the dealer to activate it, then get the bovee dongle.

Hopefully that will sort out getting a signal in to the stereo and I can have have fun with the signal going out.

Where are you guys tapping into speaker level signals for an LOC? At the amp under the passenger floor?

-Beau

Old 04-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Wow, local dealerships want $300 or so just to program, and they say they haven't done it in a while so it could take longer.

I don't know if I want to pay $170 an hour for these guys to fumble around with it.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Beau M
Wow, local dealerships want $300 or so just to program, and they say they haven't done it in a while so it could take longer.

I don't know if I want to pay $170 an hour for these guys to fumble around with it.
'd go higher up the food chain on that one. Nothing wrong with turning a profit but activating ACM is a 15 minute task. I'd expect a reasonable charge to be 30 minutes but some may charge a minimum of an hour. Are you sure they weren't also quoting the install?

Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM

I have acquired a ACM, I have not installed it yet.

Here is what I have been thinking of.

Bovee connected to ACM, iphone connected via bluetooth to Bovee. I know this will work, and give me limited control (track and volume) from the steering wheel.

To make it complicated, I'm considering mounting a small android tablet to the dash. Connected to that via USB will be a CarPlay dongle, which my iphone will plug into.

My issue is I don't know if the steering wheel controls will still work (via Bovee) if the phone is connected to CarPlay and the Bovee at the same time.

I still have some research to do.

Wait, what if I connect the Android phone to the Bovee via bluetooth? hmm.

Last edited by Beau M; 04-24-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: new idea
Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

I did something close to what you're attempting but used an android media player and connected it to the touchscreen. I had google play at the time and if I recall the steering wheel controls worked but memory is fuzzy. I used Android Auto, not CarPlay. That worked with the touch screen but not perfect. You spend too much time looking for crap on the screen and not on the road.

see this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...camera-179570/

and this one is built off the first one:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-auto-194608/

Good luck

Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 PM

Progress

Today I installed an ACM connected to a Bovee 1000. I was able to use the VM SDD and a chinese mangoose to enable the aux input myself, that was a bit scary but it works.

Now I have streaming from my phone, with steering wheel controls intact.

Next I will build a phone mount so it acts as a second screen with android auto.

I'm also installing a subwoofer. To keep with the Alpine theme I ordered an 8" Type R and MRV-500 amplifier.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:22 AM

Here is the phone mount I made. I'm not 100% in love with the looks, but it works really well. The phone is in the perfect position while driving, easy to see and navigate. I have the phone set up to launch Android Auto whenever it connects to the Bovee via Bluetooth. The mount is made out of wood and an old mud flap. The hole is for cable clearance to the USB charger.

X150 audio saga-3wbyapz.jpg

X150 audio saga-llzhcuk.jpg

X150 audio saga-elxfcgy.jpg

X150 audio saga-jkd83dc.jpg

Now that I have audio in, time for the fun stuff. Subwoofers

I've been playing with stereo gear for 20 years, and have build countless subwoofer boxes with MDF, fiberglass etc. This time I want to try something new, using a manufacturers pre-fab box. I decided to go with two of the Alpine SBR-S8-4 unit. They include an 8" dual 2ohm Type R and have good reviews online.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/sbr-s8-4

I had to rotate a woofer to match the logos, these boxes are really well made.

X150 audio saga-xvyrsnf.jpg

I have a couple goals for the mounting:

1. Easy to remove without tools for battery access
2. Look befitting of a Jaguar
3. Maintain access to spare tire
4. Maintain as much trunk space as possible
5. Modify the vehicle as little as possible

Here is what I've come up with so far. I made a couple brackets that bolt in to the stock trunk liner locations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XvyrSNF.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	225245

These bolt support the boxes and level them out, the stock battery cover is not flat.

X150 audio saga-kq1mcqi.jpg

X150 audio saga-2drklaw.jpg

In this configuration the ports both fire to the outside into the trunk walls, and there is plenty of room there for them to "breathe". Now I need to work on some more brackets to secure the boxes and trim panels to make it look nice. I also need to figure out where the amp will live.

Attached Thumbnails X150 audio saga-xvyrsnf.jpg  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Time to figure out where to put the amp.

Initially I planned on mounting it to the trunk side wall. Then I found there was a TON of room behind that panel, so it was going to live there. But it would be hidden and the controls would be inaccessible. So I decided it would live under the spare tire.

Here's the amp (sticking with the Alpine theme)

X150 audio saga-w8qs8nk.jpg

It's mounted to a circular board covered in carpet.

X150 audio saga-3fbtkmb.jpg

All wired up. Notice the new hold-down bolt I made. It both secures the amp board and provides a threaded end to secure the spare.

X150 audio saga-xjgcp7s.jpg

The wires run along the factory harness. Seriously, there is a ton of room back here.

X150 audio saga-rdcvqt9.jpg

The amp fuse lives on top of the multimedia stack.

X150 audio saga-qblavna.jpg

Here is the amp under the spare. It fits great. You can also see the knob in the lug hole that threads into my new hold down post. From stock, the spare is flipped over and moved to the right so it uses that lug hole instead of the center bore, which gives room for the amp. To do this I had to ditch the factory Styrofoam jack holder, but there is plenty of room to the left of the spare for the jacking accessories.

X150 audio saga-ttl9wks.jpg

X150 audio saga-t1mnewj.jpg

Getting close!

Last edited by Beau M; 06-11-2019 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beau M:
1 of 19 (06-11-2019), Sean W (06-11-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM

Done. Bumps pretty good.

X150 audio saga-7aje1b1.jpg