Paint for internal parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint for internal parts

Hi all - first of all apologies if this question has been asked a million times before. I tried to search but couldn't find anything useful.

I'm restoring an MK2 and planning to have the outside professionally painted. However, as I take parts out of the car I want to sand it down, put a primer on it and give it a black coat to prevent rust etc. I'm not looking for the super professional look. Just something which does the job!

Can anyone please give me advice on:
- Is primer and colour coat enough or am I missing something?
- What kind of primer should I use?
- What is the best paint to use?

I prefer to use cans instead of a spray gun because it's easier to do little bits and pieces. But happy to hear your thoughts!

Cheers

Vincent

Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brizzy Jag

Can anyone please give me advice on:
- Is primer and colour coat enough or am I missing something?
- What kind of primer should I use?
- What is the best paint to use?

I prefer to use cans instead of a spray gun because it's easier to do little bits and pieces. But happy to hear your thoughts!

Cheers

Vincent
Hi Vincent , for a cheap and cheerful colour coat you will need a aerosol of

Etch primer ( suitable the metals you are painting )

Grey Primer ( to go over the lightly keyed etch primer )

Finally the colour coat which will either be a straight colour or colour and clear coat.

The best paint/paints to use would be an epoxy etch primer with a few coats of 2k primer and good quality top coat from a pro paintshop supplier.
( though you need adequate ventilation and masks to use these materials )

Aerosols can produce a reasonable finish but generally lack the body and depth of "proper" refinishing materials.

Like all paint work though its largely about getting your prep of the item right.

What items are you looking to paint , then i may be able to be a bit more specific in my answer.

The following users liked this post:
Brizzy Jag (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Vincent,

I'd expect more members who have carried out early model restoration will see and respond if you ask this question in MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum model tech forum.

Graham

Old 02-28-2015, 05:07 AM

GGG , Some restoration folk drive X types :-) .
Although not a Jaguar here is One of my "Early" Restorations at Pebble Beach.

Name:  l2b%20sg_zpsr9ak6nwd.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  200.7 KB

Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Hi Vincent, I usually use a body filler first to get a blank canvas then use spray putty then primer, then a colour base coat before many layers of clear coat.
With all the prep and sanding done as Dr Youtube says of course.

All my aerosols are from Repco or Supercheap Auto ,nothing expensive. They have lasted many years on jobs I have held on to.

Preparation is the secret, get that right and paint will always look good.(DR Google and DR Youtube are your best friends).

Take your time, every time I try to hurry paint work I end up doing it again.

You can get amazing results on small parts. But if you are using a two pack paint that requires baking you either need an outdoor pizza oven or a really understanding wife.

The last pic is 11 time Australian Superbike and Supersport champion, Kevin Curtain giving his nod of approval.

Paint for internal parts-dsc_5544.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5567.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5570.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5604.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5660.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5720.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5721.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5722.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_5759.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_6217.jpgPaint for internal parts-dsc_7003.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 02-28-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Brizzy Jag (03-02-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=o1xjr;1172539]ur best friends).

You can get amazing results on small parts. But if you are using a two pack paint that requires baking you either need an outdoor pizza oven or a really understanding wife. [QUOTE=o1xjr;1172539]

Baking of 2 pack is not necessary , just use a suitable fast activator and maybe a couple of drops of rocket ( activator accelerator ).

If you go the 2 pack route be aware that it is illegal to use it in anything other than a controlled environment ie proper spraybooth due to the health risks associated with it.

Ideally you want to paint in no less than 21 degrees c , whilst it can be done in lower temps it makes the application a little more tricky.

o1xjr (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 07:11 AM

You can buy 2 pack here in aerosols and no warnings are given. I just bought it and painted in my yard. My brother who was a spray painter in the 80's & 90's said it should be baked for best results so I used "Her Indoors" oven.
results were near perfect for a novice.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Hi Clarke, Hope you don't think me to obstinate but the paint you were given was most likely single pack air dry acrylic.

A proper activated 2 pack in an aerosol would have a working life of hours before it went solid.

Just had a check and the paint health and safety regs are the same in your part of the world regarding the hazards of spraying isocyanate 2 pack material as they are here in the uk.

https://policies.anu.edu.au/ppl/docu...UP_000577#four

Guidance on working with 2-pack isocyanate paints

Btw , The Tank looks good

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Auto:
Brizzy Jag (03-04-2015), o1xjr (02-28-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Many thanks but still got questions

Reading through all the answers I got a little understanding but now I have even more questions

In terms of the order of application my guess is:
1. Sand to bare metal
2. Primer (+sand)
3. Body filler or spray putty (+sand)
4. Primer (+ sand)
5. Colour base (minimum 2 coats?)
6. Clear coat (minimum 2 coats?)

I think I'm correct by saying that I can't use any 2pk primer, base coat or clear coat unless I have a professional spraying booth and a lot of PPE. This leaves me with either aerosols or spray gun. Because I have many small parts (covers, plates, brackets, etc) aerosols will be the go I guess.

So I need a primer, filler, base coat and clear coat.... I think.

Primers
It's clear to me that there is no such thing as a 'standard' primer. I had a look at the local store and I found:
- Plastic adhesion primer
- Plastic or acrylic primer filler
- Acrylic primer surfacer

Filler
The same counts for a body filler. I found:
- polyester filler
- fiberglass filler
- stainless steel fiberglass reinforced filler

Base coat
The only paints I found were either acrylic or enamel.

Clear coat
The only clear coat I found was one suitable for acrylic paint.

Can anyone provide me with a workable combination??

Cheers

Vincent

Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 AM

If your are only painting internal parts and brackets I would not bother with body filler, maybe spray putty to cover small blemishes.

I have found enamel easier to work with and better results than acrylic. Super cheap Auto,Repco and Autobarn have a range of enamel aerosols.

If you want to go the next step in cost try Chris Ward at Industrial Paint Brisbane | Paint Rite, they are over at Archerfield Just off the Ipswich motorway.
They package whatever you want including two pack in aerosols. It comes down to how much you want to spend.

The steps I usually follow.

1.Paint stipper or Sand blast(for metal parts)
2.Body filler
3.Primer
4.Spray putty(as many coats as required)
5.Primer
6.Base coat
7.Clear Coat

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-03-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Brizzy Jag (03-04-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Old Auto
Hi Clarke, Hope you don't think me to obstinate but the paint you were given was most likely single pack air dry acrylic.

A proper activated 2 pack in an aerosol would have a working life of hours before it went solid.
Definitely 2 pac. It is not mixed until you press the button on the bottom of the can to mix the two components. Once you have done that working life is fairly short.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:14 AM

Apologies Clarke , they do indeed sell 2 pack in Aerosol. Unbelievable how so many of the sellers don't give a health warning. This stuff is lethal in the wrong environment.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Auto:
Brizzy Jag (03-04-2015), o1xjr (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Old Auto
Apologies Clarke , they do indeed sell 2 pack in Aerosol. Unbelievable how so many of the sellers don't give a health warning. This stuff is lethal in the wrong environment.
I always paint with it outside and wearing the appropriate PPE. Being a "WHSO" in the 90's I do indeed know the dangers. As well as having a brother who was in the trade to get advice from.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Brizzy Jag (03-04-2015), Old Auto (03-04-2015)