Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Australia - South / NT (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/australia-south-nt-95/)
-   -   Recomended trimmers in adelaide? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/australia-south-nt-95/recomended-trimmers-adelaide-110003/)

xj12s3 01-16-2014 06:38 AM

Recomended trimmers in adelaide?

Can anyone recommend a good/great trimmer in S.A. must be in leather

cat_as_trophy 01-16-2014 03:34 PM

Hi again Garth,

I have had very good work done in Adelaide, back when I lived around Mildura, but too long ago to venture a recommendation.

As I hinted in my welcoming post, and I am sure he won't mind, you are near one of our most respected forum gurus Grant Francis - and his addiction to all beasts V12 is almost legendary. With the Aus/NZ forum being rather quiet, I suggest that you PM Grant for his advice. If you need further help ... yell back to me.

With all this flurry of S1 & S2 XJs around, I am trying to sort and scan some pics of our S2 V12 Daimler VDP that we used (along with the E) to rack up some big mileages from Mildura to Adelaide or east to Sydney. I will post when done.

I hope this helps ...

xj12s3 01-17-2014 05:15 AM

thank ou for your info but I don't wish to put people out

Grant Francis 01-26-2014 08:39 PM

Fair Dinkum

PUT PEOPLE OUT?????? Thats almost Un-Australian.

How absurd.

I dont bite, I take the teeth out, that way your safe.

I have used, and would recommend, in NO particular order.

Spencer Motor Trimmers, Mullers Road Greenacres. OLD Phil is long gone (still alive I believe), but the son (forgot his name already) is as fussy as the old man.

Mikes Trimmers, private guy in Seaton. Used him for the headlining in the X300, and some leather work on the XJ-S that another NO NAME buggered up. I have his mobile if you want it.

Wiltshires in the city, but that was a looooong time ago.

There are others I hear of from time to time, but the current fleet needs no trim work, so not really up to date, but it will happen again I feel sure.

Anyway, back to the heat and a "hissy, female" XJ-S that cuts out at will, and starts again instantly. Nothing has fixed it 100% YET, but I will win, trust me.

cat_as_trophy 01-27-2014 05:48 PM

Hi Grant, and welcome back to the fray.

1. I was on the verge of recommending Spencer's - Phil did my E-Type's driver seat repair (red Connelly leather) back when, but it was so long ago - great to hear that he is still about;

2. How about some details and pics of your recent tour? 4500Km sounds impressive. Where did you go? What car?

Hi also Garth (xj12S3),

I did warn you that Grant is a specially friendly and Knowledgeable chap. Seems to me that the whole point of forum like this is to share hard won experience that other contributors can benefit from. Go for it!!!
Best wishes for 2014. :icon_toast:

Grant Francis 01-29-2014 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=cat_as_trophy;898943]Hi Grant, and welcome back to the fray.

1. I was on the verge of recommending Spencer's - Phil did my E-Type's driver seat repair (red Connelly leather) back when, but it was so long ago - great to hear that he is still about;

2. How about some details and pics of your recent tour? 4500Km sounds impressive. Where did you go? What car?

Ha, dont come in here much, maybe I should, might be a hoot.

BORING, we took the X300 (big block 3.2) to Canberra, wife got her duel citizenship back after 30 years. Govt agreed (how considerate), but we had to pay and go to Canberra to get it. Cheaper to drive than fly, so road trip ensured.

After Canberra we cruised into Sydney, then decided the coast road back to Adelaide sounded sweet.

No snaps, bad luck.

Then flew one way to Melbourne and spousy got the Silver S Type, and drove it home the long way, via Mildura, took 5 days HAHA.

Nov 2013, flew to Melbourne again, and I got the Black Beast, drove it home again, via all sorts of strange inland places, took 7 days this time.

Now she is looking at an XK8, HAHAHAHA.

Time for another round Australia trip me thinks, but alas NO XJ-S to do it in this time. Maybe the Black Beast is good enough, dunno.

4500kms is a small run for us, really.

Got bored a few weeks ago, so off the Renmark for lunch, 542km round trip. Nice grub at the Nanya bar.

xj12s3 02-01-2014 06:34 PM

Thanks guys and yes I will contact Grant if and when I need his advice which I feel will be shortly have a good one and keep cool

cat_as_trophy 02-01-2014 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 899965)
... Then flew one way to Melbourne and spousy got the Silver S Type, and drove it home the long way, via Mildura, took 5 days HAHA.
... Got bored a few weeks ago, so off to Renmark for lunch, 542km round trip. Nice grub at the Nanya bar.

Hi Grant,

Even sans V12s, you lead an interesting (touring) life. All this mention of Mildura and Renmark (my old stomping ground for many years( brings back many a memory ... especially onboard the E-Type or the family (read, Chrstine's) V12efi S2 Daimler VanDen Plas.

Your mention of a 540Km drive as a cure for boredome (LOL) reminds me of a pair of panoramic pics we had mounted into a common frame after a trip to UK - that place where the AA lists interesting "day trips" as anything around 20 miles! Both pan photos feature a solitary signpost, surrounded on all sides by ... nothing. Upper photo T intersection sign has left arm reading "Keswick 1 1/2 M" while right arm reads "Keswick 7M"- perhaps the latter is the scenic route. The lower photo was taken at a gravel turnoff on the main road west of Broken Hill beyond Radium in mid SA and is simply arrowed with "HS 350". For the uninitiated, its pointing to the nearest homestead - 350Km away!

Grant, I am guessing that your trip to Renmark slaked your thirst. I don't know the Nanya, but I know that our former locals like the Working Man's Club in main street of Mildura or the Tavern out at Red Cliffs were very cool and friendly places. Far more up-market was the Mildura Club with its punkahs flapping lazily back and forth on the ceiling.

Only really scary incident I ever had in the E-Type was between Waikerie and Bridgetown Roadhouse ... alone, flat out for many miles ... looked in mirror to find rear of car shrouded in blue/white smoke ... slowed immediately but slowly ... neutral ... when below 40-50mph, I could feel the rear end very lumpy and lurching around somewhat. Once stopped, I was able to confirm a RHS rear puncture. The tyre was just short of molten and I burnt myself several times just getting the wheel off. Scary? Yes ... to the extent that at top speed, centrifugal (centripetal?) force would have kept me blissfully unaware of the puncture until the tyre delaminated and shredded. Near new Pirelli no more.

Greetings again, xj12s3, and best wishes with your leather trimming project. Any pics to share?

As promised here earlier, I have found some pics of our V12 Daimler which I will post in a new thread.

Best wishes all. :icon_toast: