Greetings from Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from Melbourne

Hi All,
New to this forum, and new to Jag ownership, having just picked up my first x300 in December.
Good to see some other enthusiasts around, and hope you don't mind if I pick your collective brains from time to time!
Cheers
Michael

Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Welcome to the real world of motoring.

Pick away, we dont bite, so I am told.

That Alfa could be a collective challenge, but once we shoehorn a V12 in there, all will be sweet as.

The following users liked this post:
Ms1982 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Welcome Michael

Welcome Michael; and greetings from the Coffs coast; I'm sure that Dave (our regional co-ordinator) will be along to give you his welcome ... but geez, I'm not bashful ... so let me be the first to yell "Great to have you on board" ...

You certainly are among many kindred spirits here and I note that you have already delved into the User CP tab to provide your location and car model & year in your sig. When you get sorted, post up some pics of your beastie - we are all far enough away that our drooling won't show on the paintwork ... lol.

Like all the Jaguar vehicles here, their owners come in all shapes and sizes. Read around the threads and you'll find that most of us head off to the model-specific sections for sharing technical help ... but then gravitate back here to keep track of progress among our local friends. Wander about here and you will quickly get to know Cambo, Foibles, Grant, Garth, Deano, Kosta, Gippsland, Clarke, Brendan and a whole bunch more whose names I find more obscure.

I reckon we are a pretty friendly bunch - but don't be fooled by the Kiwis - they can be a quiet bunch but, just occasionally, they give us a glimpse of some absolutely stunning cars. Also, be on the lookout for what I call the "wannabee convicts" ... the well camouflaged Canadians, Poms and even Yanks who sneak in to our barbies, and try to pinch snags and "shrimps" ... I think they are drawn by our renowned hospitality, riotous behaviour and irrepressible sense of humour.
... or is it the free beer ... or maybe they are trying to sell us their cars?
Anyway, Michael, jump right in ... and yell if you need a hand.
Best wishes,

Ken

Edit - there, I told you we are a friendly bunch ... pipped at the post

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 02-25-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Ms1982 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default Welcome

Hi Michael,
Welcome, I too am a new member and bought my first Jaguar in December. They are a friendly bunch (should say "we" now) and don't bite. I have been picking their collective brains for 6 weeks now and I am sure Ken and Grant read every post,and always come back with helpful info.
I've already made over 100 posts, mainly with questions about my car and have got useful info given to me every time. My folder of technical stuff is already bulging.

Clarke

Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi I just found this section of the forum,
A local Australian area ..... cool
I have only recently become a member and owner of my first Jag.
So allow me to introduce myself here.

My name is Robert, I live in the Spencer Gulf of South Australia, for those of you who are familiar with this part of the state, specifically in Port Pire.
I recently bought an 88 XJ40 and am loving it, I have always loved Jags but have never been able to afford one until now
I have already been using the forums quite a bit as I am currently trying to restore her to her former glory.
Mostly she is in good nick but has silly little annoying problems that really aren't that hard to fix.

So far to date, I have fixed the blown headlights, both front door handles, the wiper return, and a few blown fuses.
I still have a few other things to get onto like installing the new brake pads and giving her a full service and tuneup.
I dare say we will be seeing alot of each other on here, and I hope that once I am more familiar with Jags and how they workI will be able to not only take advice but also give it
Regards
Robert

PS I do apologize for busting in on your thread MS1982.... I just realized I entered my greetings in the wrong spot.
Welcome to the forum

Last edited by red_101au; 02-25-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Robert ... and greetings to you also mate;

I won't repeat everything from my earlier post here, but again as you can see, you are far from alone in SA. There's plenty of good knowledge here that will help you sort your Jaguar - which from the one pic in your profile, looks a really nice drive. I'm starting to wish I was back in Sunraysia, pedaling around in one of the many Jags we owned there in the 70s and 80s.

One quick tip ... to make sure you get the best advice, it helps if you go to User CP and add year/model/engine and anything else that helps others to best help, to your signature. Otherwise ... same advice ... jump right in.

Best wishes Rob,
Ken

red_101au (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the welcome and advice cat_as_trophy.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

I promise to call you Robert ... if you agree to call me Ken ...

And no, this doesn't mean we are engaged ... lol.

Take care.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 AM

no worries Ken.
I managed to change my profile pic after a bit of hunting I found where it was lol
and I added a signature but I am not sure if it is coming up...
I think I did it right.... I posted my name, location and model

Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 AM

ok there it is..... I think I missed the tick box, show signature lol

Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Default hi

i have no idea what i am doing i own a 1988 xj40 which when u start it has a harsh knock down low behind or around the distributor, after a few minutes it stops i can vary the density of the knock by turning the steering wheel which makes me think it is the power steering but have no idea how to prove this before i purchase a new power steering pump
help
has anyone else experienced this problem
hopelss

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default problem help

Originally Posted by hopeless jag owner
i have no idea what i am doing i own a 1988 xj40 which when u start it has a harsh knock down low behind or around the distributor, after a few minutes it stops i can vary the density of the knock by turning the steering wheel which makes me think it is the power steering but have no idea how to prove this before i purchase a new power steering pump
help
has anyone else experienced this problem
hopelss
Hi Hopeless and welcome

You might have more luck getting help if you start a new thread with a short version of the problem like "knock at start up" as the title. If you ask a question like this, as a new topic in the middle of a thread it has limited visibility. If you create a new thread here everyone in vic/tas will see the topic when they first open the form. If you put it in the general XJ40 area , the whole XJ40 world sees it. Just sayin.

hopeless jag owner (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Default knock at start up with 88 xj40

knock at start up my 1988 xj40 has a terrible knock which appears to be coming From the power steering box and after idling the car for a few minutes it dissapears
i can alter the pitch of it by moving the steering wheel while standing still

Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum hopeless jag owner, when you get a minute post an introduction thread in the new members area for a warm welcome.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

If you post your questions in the XJ40 forum you get plenty of help from owners of your model.

XJ40 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 08-15-2014, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default nearly there

Originally Posted by hopeless jag owner
knock at start up my 1988 xj40 has a terrible knock which appears to be coming From the power steering box and after idling the car for a few minutes it dissapears
i can alter the pitch of it by moving the steering wheel while standing still

Nice try, right content in wrong place. If you are having trouble finding the other forums look near the top of this page. Just above where it says Australia Vic/Tas in bold, you will see Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Click on that and you will see the model specific fourums. Good luck

hopeless jag owner (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM

steve thanks i have no idea what i am going am completley lost but thank you