Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Australia - Victoria / Tasmania (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/australia-victoria-tasmania-94/)
-   -   Vic & Tas members, introductions please..Roll call (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/australia-victoria-tasmania-94/vic-tas-members-introductions-please-roll-call-119752/)

aussie_ser3 06-12-2014 07:23 PM

Vic & Tas members, introductions please..Roll call

Hi forum-goers,

Hopefully with this new sub forum us Victorians can stay in better contact and possibly meet up every now and then to compare cars, share advice and so on.

First I will introduce my self, My name is Jay and I have been appointed regional co-ordinator along with Gippsland (Neil) who I am sure will introduce himself as well.

Personally I live on the north of the Mornington Peninsula on a 'hobbyfarm' with my collection of old cars. The first being my burgundy 1982 Series 3 XJ6, second being my 1973 XJ12l (long wheel base series 1 v12, only about 750 were made which makes it one of the rarer jags, however it needs restoration). The rest of my cars being a combination of HQ / HX utes and a late model Ford Fairmont and Magna as daily drivers. I am currently studying Electrical Engineering at university and work at a local Jag workshop part time along with doing work on peoples cars from home.

Anyway, now it is your turn. Feel free to write as much or little as you want. A few pictures of your cars would also be welcome,

Regards,
Jay

Gippsland 06-14-2014 06:02 AM

G'Day all,
As Jay has explained we now have a sub forum around Australia. Jay and myself are hoping to hear from as many Victorian and Tasmanians as possible by way of a 'roll call'

Please feel free to re-introduce yourselves. I'm tucked away in the far east of Gippsland (Bairnsdale) and far as I am aware the nearest forum member is in Sale,70 K's away.
This is the area were 4x4's reign and I'm no different. Other wheels are 2 Patrols and a Forester. Other stuff tucked away include an XF van (that I brought new) and a Tickford DL LTD.

One of the perks living here are the amount of car clubs that travel through the area and most have a stay right here and use Bairnsdale as a base for a day or more. Vintage,Classic and Performance are regular sights. Mini Mokes were here last long weekend,I had forgotten they existed.

Cheers for now,'
Neil.

JimC64 07-07-2014 10:14 AM

C'mon guys, get those names added to the list....lets get this section moving, onwards n upwards

oldjagowner 07-14-2014 04:28 AM

hi to jay and neil I just joined the jag forums so am a bit slow on the uptake I have a xj6 ser3 1984 + bmw 525 1990 and a town car vt commadore wagon.have had two jags afew yrs ago but this one was cheap and thought it may be a good project car.

Aquacat 07-14-2014 07:17 AM

Well we are on a roll!
I have a pet Jag as a Sunday drive which has developed a gearbox fault that is a complete mystery. Due to the lack in faith to have anyone local to fix it, I am considering putting it on the boat and bringing it to Melbourne. Its too far to drive to Hobart if the gearbox is really faulty.

It has been coming up with 'gearbox fault' displayed on the dash and not changing up through 4 to 5th. Had some one put a computer scan on it but they didnt have the right program for the year model only for the 2000 model. But it came up with messages that identitfied the solenoids as a fault. Put a new battery in it drove it round the block (5kms) and seemed ok - On the second lap round came up with the gearbox fault again!

Sometimes when you select reverse it seems to jerk into gear. I have tried driving it 'manually' and changes gears ok.

Any ideas? should I charge the battery up and give it another go - its been 12 months off the road now. Or should I book it into a jag mechanic in Melbourne?

This is a car I inherited from my father 5 years ago at 64,000km - it had an average speed of 29kmh. It was used as the orchard utility and proved very handy for rabbit shooting with electric windows to line the rifle up on. I was cleaning out spent ammo for months after I first got it! I also have other stories about previous jag's and rabbits - perhaps another day.

Gippsland 07-15-2014 06:06 PM

Welcome aboard Oldjagowner (describes me too) and Aquacat. Good to have you with us.
You would be better off cutting and pasting your gearbox problem into the 'S Type' section for some answers Aquacat. That's the 'user CP' in the top left of page ---> scroll down to S Type.

And I hope you have better luck than me should you try to send just the gearbox to the mainland. I brought a gearbox online from Smithton a few weeks ago and after prolonged efforts to find a transport Co it has gone missing..3 weeks now.

Thanks again for taking the time to introduce yourselves,
Neil.

Aquacat 07-16-2014 07:55 AM

Thanks Neil,
I post something over the weekend. I'm going to the battery a charge over the weekend and see what happens.
A bit concerning that the freight has lost the parcel!
Hope it turns up soon.

yarpos 07-18-2014 02:26 AM

Hi

I just did a forum intro sounds like you want one here as well.

Up till now I have been interested in BMWs. Had an E30 (now gone) and still have a 635csi.

Bought an 83 XJ6 Sovereign recently. Its a pretty clean red/burgundy and looks standard outside. The engine is a small block chev and t350 trans. So not a purist I guess. Car brakes and handles very well, just working currently to get the carby sorted (havent touched one for 20 years) and getting maintenance up to scratch.

Also have a Subie and Hi Lux for daily drives and (it seems) maintenance responsibility for my daughters Subie.

Located in NE Vic near Alexandra.

Cheers, Steve

Gippsland 07-18-2014 07:01 AM

G'Day Steve and welcome.

The idea of these sub forums is so people in the more local areas have a 'home' as the Jag Forum is so huge. This way forum members can relate better with other members. IE. I was in Alex for the truck show a few weeks ago (and it was cold) also a good friend is/was involved with the Alex speedway.

And you have probably heard of Bairnsdale which would have no meaning to some-one in the USA. They wouldn't know what a Brumby is either,I have one of the targa roof ones that I use to grab some firewood,real handy, and the DD is a Forester.

Can you get to all the plugs in your Jagrolet ? Seen some conversions where you would need to pull the engine out. My daughter has moved to 'modern' and gets me off the hook,"you need the right thing to plug into it and I don't have one" Too easy!

"The older I get the better I was"...I'm hearing that!!
Thanks for the intro and good luck with the carby,
Neil

yarpos 07-18-2014 09:07 PM

Thats funny, we have probably passed each other on the highway at some stage. I came back through Bairnsdale from Sydney a few weeks ago and sometimes shoot at Sale.

Plugs look accessible with enough articulated socket attachments, although that may be famous last words I guess. At worst I can imagine loosening headers but engine removal hopefully can be avoided. There seems to be quite a few butchered versions of this conversion about which is a shame as it seems a nice fit unless you want to maintain the 100% Jag. I totally understand that approach as its what I do with my other car.

My main challenges at the moment is getting the carby replaced (just arrived Friday) and getting into a few electrical things and understanding the pommy approach vs germanic wiring that I have become used to.

Cheers, Steve

oldjagowner 07-24-2014 03:55 AM

to jay hi there I have a ser3 xj6 soverieng .as u work part time for a jag workshop do u know off any one that could refurbish a complete dash that's the main part and the lower panels

Gippsland 07-25-2014 06:24 PM

What part of the Dashboard are you looking to refurbish oldjagowner? The woodwork or the instruments or both?

Often cheaper to buy good second hand parts,there is a guy near me that has many XJ40 and similar jags in various stages of dismantling.

You have me wondering if you are an 'old' owner of a jag or the 'younger' owner of an old jag or like me it's both!

aussie_ser3 07-27-2014 08:05 AM

As Neil said I would recommend sourcing a good second hand one, you shouldn't pay any more then $100 for a good one. You will likely pay more for yours to be reconditioned from experience. If your car is an early series 3 that doesnt have the wooden door insets then i would just replace the dash with a second hand one because there is no need to color match it. If it is a post 84 one with door caps you will need to be a bit more specific in the replacement color.
You may have more luck with responses if you make a separate thread in the Vic / Tas subforum.

Regards,
Jay

oldjagowner 08-02-2014 06:45 AM

hi guys just got complete dashboard kit from myrtle products in uk for $675. includes door strips as well

Gippsland 08-03-2014 04:10 AM

hi guys just got complete dashboard kit from myrtle products in uk for $675. includes door strips as well"

That was quick. Is that a refinished kit or as was in good cond?
If that includes post it sounds way cheaper than getting yours done. Are you happy with it?

o1xjr 08-03-2014 04:16 AM

Hi Neil,I had trouble when trying to quote previous posts. Read the link below,it was a huge help.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...-posts-121167/

Clarke
:icon_beerchug::icon_beerchug:

oldjagowner 08-06-2014 02:21 AM

dash refurbish

hi neil have ordered the dash board takes 21days to process as they make them from scratch and postage about $50.00 to me plus cost of kit:icon_razz:

Terry Dyer 08-29-2014 08:11 AM

Hi to all Jaguar lovers. I live in Tasmania and own three XJ 6's. 1985 Sovereign, 1985 XJ 6. 1970 XJ6. All the very best to all Jaguar owners. Terry

yarpos 08-30-2014 01:12 AM

Hi Terry

Welcome! 3 XJ6's? they must keep you busy. All running or are there donor cars in there?

MikeyB10 09-29-2014 09:09 PM

Hi All Im in the south east of Melb and have also left an introduction on the main forum. Ive recently purchased a 95 xj6 (x300). Am loving the experience of driving her through traffic and am enjoying the random comments Im getting from people.
I also ride an 85 BMW K100rs and use an 86 skyline as the workhorse to work, Although Im not sure how log Ill keep her around now that I have the option of driving my Jag.
Im looking forward to using this forum for all the tech and maintenance info it offers and meetig like minded people.