Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Birkshire Automobiles in Markham (north Toronto)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Birkshire Automobiles in Markham (north Toronto)

Hello, I am the owner of a 1994 XJS Convertible (standard with the in-line 6) and a new member to this forum. I though it would be of public interest to post information about a garage and repair shop named Berkshire Automobiles in Markham Ontario that specializes in Jaguar, Rolls Royce and Land Rover. I would like to inform other members of the shady business tactics used by this garage. I also would like to know if other members in Markham or Toronto have been victims of such shady business tactics in the past. Here is my story in a nutshell:
I dropped my car for an oil change and minor electrical problems. They made me sign the usual estimate sheet before I left. Dan, the service manager had told me that it could take several hours, but that they could not start working on my car until later in the afternoon because they had 4-5 cars ahead of mine. At 3:30pm I spoke to him again and he told me that they were about done with the oil change. (They close at 5:30pm btw). At 4:25 he emailed me the estimate. Over $1,000! I called him back and said that I it was outrageous, at least twice what I was expecting. He told me: "I will see what what I can do". I trusted him (big mistake). He called me back at 9:30am the next morning to tell me it was just a relay and a switch to change. Nothing much. Parts would cost $30 and he needed half an hour to install it. I agreed. I was all happy and expecting that I would pay for the oil change ($200 which is not cheap already!) + one hour of work the day before (between 4:25pm and 5:30pm) + half an hour in the morning. To my surprise when I picked up my car they had billed me for 6 hours and 45 minutes of work! Of course they could not have worked 6 hours yesterday between 4:25pm and 5:30pm (one hour at most). Since I had only objected verbally over the phone and not in writing they knew they could squeeze me for the full amount of the estimate they had send me at 4:25pm the day before. Despite my verbal objections over the phone, they even added the extra half hour for this morning on top of the estimate! Bottom line $1,134 for an oil change a relay and a switch!!! I had not choice but paying, since in Ontario the law allows mechanics to keep vehicles until payment has been made ... I am considering taking them to Small Claims Court ... I would like to know if other members have had similar experiences. Thank you for providing your feedback!

Old 08-05-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with this outfit.
Regarding the small claim court option. I am sure that they have had the experience of being taken down this road before. As such they could drag it out over multiple visits by claiming that they disagree with the evidence that you have presented, this can go on for months. Even if you are successful the court cannot force them to pay. I would put it down to experience, put the word around as you have and move on.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Default I agree that SCC is not worth the time and efforts!

Thank you for the advice Paddy! I agree that Small Claims Court is not worth the time and efforts, considering the fairly small amount of money involved. I actually called the police to ask if I could press charges for fraud or something of that nature. They told me that it was strictly a civil matter. They confirmed that any mechanic in Ontario has indeed the right not to release a vehicle until the bill has been paid. They added that SCC was the only recourse, and when I told them that it would not be worth my time for such low amount ($500 to $1,000), they told me that the alternative was to post reviews on line. Thank you, once again, for your response! Michel.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

There are number of stories from members of the Forum. I talked to a person there about my 2004 S Type and decided the shop was not for me. I worked on a member's 2005 Vanden Plas after it was there for brake squeal. I replaced the pads with a good used genuine Jaguar set and the noise went away. The pads I took off were cheap aftermarket ones.

The following users liked this post:
michelbotman (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:45 PM

There are indeed better shops around that can be trusted and will often do the work before your eyes while you wait.
Thank you for your feedback!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Guys,

I actually took my car there last Spring and I did not have a negative experience. It was definitely cheaper than the dealer.

What other shops are you guys finding trustworthy enough to service your Jag in Toronto?