Canada All Canadian members please post here...

Considering the XF

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering the XF

Hello fellow canucks. I'm in the market to replace my old Mercedes and the XF is the lead contender. I'm looking at primarily 2013-2015 models with the SC V6 but will consider low KM 2009-2012 models (especially the XFR). What kind of issues should I be worried about (I know the dashes bubble up on the early ones, that they had water pump issues and battery drain problems)? How about regular maintenance costs? I see that parts can be very reasonable, especially after my Merc experience. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Richard Despres

Old 09-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Hi and welcome, might want to head over to the dedicated XF tech section, there's lots of answers to your questions already there.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:51 AM

How about average annual maintenance costs in Canada? More specifically on Vancouver Island. I have to prove to my wife somehow that my research behind the XF isn't wrong and that I can do normal annual maintenance for around $300 like my Jag dealer told me. She is trying to force me into a Chevrolet Malibu just like her mom drives and it's making me crazy!

Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

My advice above still applies. Won't get many answers in our regional section to such a specific tech question.

Very few owners use a dealer once the warranty is up due to cost. Like most cars.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Despres
How about average annual maintenance costs in Canada? More specifically on Vancouver Island. I have to prove to my wife somehow that my research behind the XF isn't wrong and that I can do normal annual maintenance for around $300 like my Jag dealer told me. She is trying to force me into a Chevrolet Malibu just like her mom drives and it's making me crazy!
I live in Victoria. The climate on Vancouver Island was made for Jaguars! Regarding yearly maintenance costs, a specific answer is difficult because there are so many factors to consider, beginning with how well the car you buy was treated in its former life, whether maintenance was neglected or deferred, etc. What I can tell is that my yearly maintenance on my XK consists of an oil and filter change and nothing else because nothing goes wrong, on my X-Type wagon the maintenance yearly consists of an oil and filter change because nothing goes wrong, and on my wife's X-Type which has been used daily and has sat outside day and night for the last 13 years, maintenance has consisted in that entire period of only tire replacement, battery replacement, an 02 sensor and the repair of a driver's seat motor - this is addition to yearly oil/filter changes. These are amazingly reliable, well-built and beautiful cars - but they should be treated with respect. There is no problem with service for the Jaguar on the island unless you live in Port Hardy (!).

Old 09-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reply! I found a shop with over 30 years experience about an hour and a half up the road (assuming the Malahat is open of course) that might be even better than going to the dealer for expertise. To save on the initial purchase price I was thinking about going to Vancouver, or even Edmonton if the car was only two or three years old, since you seem to pay an island tax at every dealership of every kind here for both new and used cars.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Despres
Thanks for the reply! I found a shop with over 30 years experience about an hour and a half up the road (assuming the Malahat is open of course) that might be even better than going to the dealer for expertise. To save on the initial purchase price I was thinking about going to Vancouver, or even Edmonton if the car was only two or three years old, since you seem to pay an island tax at every dealership of every kind here for both new and used cars.

I live in Parksville. I traded my 2011 BMW528i on a 2016 Jaguar XF AWD Prestige and got a great trade in and deal on the Jag. I go to Langley Jaguar and they are very good. No problems so far with 25K kms on it. Love it. I understand a regular service in around 250$ which is not bad really. My first one was free. I have a place in Vancouver too. I could go to Victoria Jaguar but no idea how there service is although it should be fine? Cheers
AL