Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing / Car care (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/)
-   -   How To Clean Glass - 30 years of experience (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/how-clean-glass-30-years-experience-90416/)

Snide72 02-21-2013 09:56 AM

For No Smears Or Haze On Glass

My wife has owned a cleaning company for 30 years,doing residential homes as well as commercial buildings, doctors and dentists offices, etc. Over the course of 3 decades, she's tried EVERYTHING to clean glass and mirrors!

Here's what she says works best. Clean the glass (or bathroom mirror) first with your favorite glass cleaner, such as Windex, InvisibleGlass, Perfect Glass, Sparkle, vinegar & water mix, etc. Caution - When cleaning the tinted side of tinted windows ... make sure whatever glass cleaner you use contains no ammonia (which is Sparkle’s claim to fame).

After you have thoroughly cleaned the glass with your favorite glass cleaner and paper towels, wipe it dry. Then, take 2 clean micro-fiber clothes and dampen one with water. Use the damp one and wipe the glass all over.Then take the dry one and dry the glass completely. Stand back and look for any smears, streaks or haze. If you see any, I’ll buy you a beer! Better yet, my WIFE will buy you a beer!

As a quick follow-up ... when using micro-fiber clothes for glass or mirror cleaning, my wife always keeps them separate when doing laundry. She always washes the micro-fiber clothes by themselves and washes them with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar - nothing else. She never washes them with any kind of laundry soap product because any soap residue that remains in the micro-fiber clothes after washing will then leave streaks, smears or haze - all of which come from soap!

She puts the dirty micro-fibers into the washing machine and puts the vinegar right in on top of them - just as you'd do with regular laundry soap. After washing them in vinegar, she washes them again with nothing but the water the washing machine puts in ... just to be 100% sure there's no soap residue in the micro-fibers. I'm telling you ... it's magic. The windows and mirrors in our house and our cars always look great. No streaks, no smears, no haze!

Snide72 02-21-2013 09:56 AM

For No Smears Or Haze On Glass

My wife has owned a cleaning company for 30 years,doing residential homes as well as commercial buildings, doctors and dentists offices, etc. Over the course of 3 decades, she's tried EVERYTHING to clean glass and mirrors!

Here's what she says works best. Clean the glass (or bathroom mirror) first with your favorite glass cleaner, such as Windex, InvisibleGlass, Perfect Glass, Sparkle, vinegar & water mix, etc. Caution - When cleaning the tinted side of tinted windows ... make sure whatever glass cleaner you use contains no ammonia (which is Sparkle’s claim to fame).

After you have thoroughly cleaned the glass with your favorite glass cleaner and paper towels, wipe it dry. Then, take 2 clean micro-fiber clothes and dampen one with water. Use the damp one and wipe the glass all over.Then take the dry one and dry the glass completely. Stand back and look for any smears, streaks or haze. If you see any, I’ll buy you a beer! Better yet, my WIFE will buy you a beer!

As a quick follow-up ... when using micro-fiber clothes for glass or mirror cleaning, my wife always keeps them separate when doing laundry. She always washes the micro-fiber clothes by themselves and washes them with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white vinegar - nothing else. She never washes them with any kind of laundry soap product because any soap residue that remains in the micro-fiber clothes after washing will then leave streaks, smears or haze - all of which come from soap!

She puts the dirty micro-fibers into the washing machine and puts the vinegar right in on top of them - just as you'd do with regular laundry soap. After washing them in vinegar, she washes them again with nothing but the water the washing machine puts in ... just to be 100% sure there's no soap residue in the micro-fibers. I'm telling you ... it's magic. The windows and mirrors in our house and our cars always look great. No streaks, no smears, no haze!

billbjork 03-08-2013 10:23 AM

windows

Remember the old news paper trick that used to work, well it don't any more. They changed the news print from petroleum based to linseed oil based and the solvent in the cleaner dissolves the oil and you have a smeary mess..But now if you eat the news you won't get sick.:icon_poop:

Vee 04-11-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Snide72 (Post 681657)
She puts the dirty micro-fibers into the washing machine and puts the vinegar right in on top of them - just as you'd do with regular laundry soap.

Actually, you're supposed to add detergent to the machine first, THEN load it up with whatever it is to be washed.

lunaticpro 05-27-2013 01:33 PM

alternative

Im sure your method is the better choice on how to clean glass but for those who are too lazy to go buy microfiber towels, you can use newspaper. It works very well too with your prefered glass cleaner and is much cheaper...

Just for FYI...

JimC64 05-27-2013 08:54 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1369665006

+1 on the old newspapers trick..............works an absolute treat

mosesbotbol 10-07-2013 12:08 PM

How about a commercial coffee filter instead of newspaper?

Snide72 10-08-2013 01:51 PM

I've Heard That Works ... But

My wife has tried everything and swears nothing works better than micro-fiber clothes. They clean better, pick up more dirt and hold more dirt than anything else ... just because of their unique construction. I've heard some people say that coffee filters work, so feel free to try them. But if you're not 100% satisfied, give her micro-fiber cloth method a try. It's simple, easy and the results are truly amazing!

richzak 02-26-2014 11:21 PM

I highly suggest the following...yes it's expensive but, is the best.

Norwex Car Cloth....

Here's the link.

New Norwex Car Cloth | eBay

You will NOT find anything better.

Research it!

Snide72 02-27-2014 12:06 PM

Norwex Cloth ????

Richzak ... with all due respect ... isn't the $30 Norwex Cleaning Cloth just a very overpriced micro-fiber cloth? In reading their website and other info on the Internet, all it appears to be is a good quality micro-fiber cloth (which is sold through 'Hosts' like Tuperware and Amway) at prices 5 to 10 times higher than any good quality micro-fiber cloth! I thought all good quality micro-fiber cloths works like magic. What is it about Norwex micro-fiber cloths that 'justify' their much higher price? Do they have some greater claim to fame? If so, what might that be?

reyesl 09-19-2014 07:23 PM

The difference is manufacturing quality! Did it come from a low budget factory or a certified factory? If it's from a certified factory, is it 1st quality or 2nd, 3rd?

larney 09-25-2014 10:01 PM

Well I bought some of the micro fiber towels and I must say they work great. I've tried them with Invisible Glass and also with water. They are the best to use on glass. I've tried newspaper and it doesn't work like it use to. Also I haven't tried it in several years. I've done the vinegar, the micro fiber towels are still better. Someone mentioned being to lazy to buy the towels then you're probably to lazy to do the windows too. As to the newspaper is cheaper. What does a paper cost .75 to 1.00? Pack of towels 4.99 on sale. I really do like the streak free way the micro fiber towels work. I'm sure other methods work too. Just stating that I was pleased with this way.

tommyknocker 06-30-2016 02:27 AM

ok I got a bit mixed up as I couldn't find this thread when I wanted it so by memory this is what I did.

Using a microfiber cloth with glass cleaner wiped and dried the glass.

Then in 1litre of warm water put in 1/2 cup of vinegar and using the same cloth wipe the glass again.

Now using a dry microfiber cloth, polish off to a dry finish. Worked great.

Bit round the houses so will try Snide 72's way next time.

Chet Crouch 03-25-2017 06:11 AM

Try Equal parts water to rubbing alcohol and add 2 tblsp White vinegar. Works great no streaks and the vinegar removes any grease etc.

Jean Bauer 04-19-2017 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by billbjork (Post 691914)
Remember the old news paper trick that used to work, well it don't any more. They changed the news print from petroleum based to linseed oil based and the solvent in the cleaner dissolves the oil and you have a smeary mess..But now if you eat the news you won't get sick.:icon_poop:

It's good to remember the classic way of cleaning the glass. This is nostalgic :icon_beerchug: