Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Pinnacle Synergy-$195.00 vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0-$22.00

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Pinnacle Synergy-$195.00 vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0-$22.00

I ordered a can of 5 oz. Pinnacle Black Label Synergy wax. It was a specially priced down from $195.00 to $169.99 then got a 15% discount, spending $144.49. I had never ordered a such an expensive paste wax. I received the Synergy wax and applied it on my 2009 Jaguar. The car had been previously paint coated using Opticoat 2.0.

I applied the Pinnacle Synergy exactly as stated on the can. It was an easy application using the foam 3" applicator pad that came with the kit. There was also a microfiber towel included. I applied the Syenrgy using the foam pad, in a swirl pattern and was easy to see once on the car, and started to haze. After about 15 minutes it was buffed off using the included Microfiber towel. It was easy on .... easy off. Took about 45 minutes to complete the entire car.

After applying the Synergy to the Jaguar, I had my doubts about spending the $144.49 for this can of wax. Now priced at $195.00 this wax is very expensive.

So, I decided to conduct a test of the Pinnacle Black Label Synergy ($195.00) vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0 Paste Wax ($22.00). I did my 2014 Porsche Cayman 981. The 981 was previuosly coated with the Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating. The Pinnacle Paint Coating for $79.99 was a great buy. The results were excellent. When washed, the water just beads up into little beads of glass like water. It also drys to a fantastic shine.

I waxed the Porsche 1/2 side of the car with Pinnacle Synergy wax, the other side with Meguiars NXT Gen Wax. The wax was evenly split right down the middle of the car, front to back. The Meguiars is a softer blend of Polymer Paste wax vs. the Pinnacle Synergy, and went on much smoother than the Synergy. Both were easy to apply, with the Meguiars the easiest. I applied the the wax in sections, and let each dry for about 15 minutes to get that recommended haze effect before buffing.

When buffing the Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0 was abit easier to buff out. There was a noticable difference in the end result of the two products. The Pinnacle left a less than ultra smooth finish. You could almost feel the wax effect of the polish. It did not buff out as smooth as the Meguiars. The Synergy is nano ceramic infused into Carnauba wax, while the Meguiars is a Polymer wax.

The Meguiars side of the Porsche was buffed to glass like smooth finish. I had my neighbor come over to the garage and he did a hand test and could tell immediately the difference between the ultra smooth glass finish of the Meguiars product vs the Synergy Finish. I like the finish of the $22.00 Meguairs vs the $195.00 Synergy finish.

I have yet to wash the car to see the difference in water beading and drying. There was no noticable differences in the look of the cars paint between the 2 products. I could see no difference nor could my neighbor. Bothhad an excellent shine. He could not tell any difference between the two sides except for the feel of the surface.

At first thought the Meguairs $22.00 can of Polymer wax did a great job. At this point of application only, the Meguiars gets first place for application and paint finish. I will wash the Porsche in about 10 days. After waxing, the Porsche was pulled into the garage and covered with it's own car cover.

The true test comes when washing and I will report back. At first thoughts, I find it very hard to recommend the Synergy wax priced at $195.00. It appears more hype in marketing this product than the end result. I can say honestly, I would not spend $195.00 in the future for the Synergy product as the competitive product for $22.00 out matched the Synergy product for application and finish.

The next test comes after washing and drying for the first time. I will report back. For now, save your $195.00 until I report back. Of course this is my own independent test and would like to see a professional test comparing a $195.00 product such as Synergy vs. a $22.00 product like the Meguiars.

More to follow.

Attached Thumbnails Pinnacle Synergy-5.00 vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0-.00-pinnacle-synergy-vs.-meguiars-nxt-gen-2.0-001.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 04-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by richzak:
fabfive (04-11-2014), JimC64 (04-02-2014), liza (04-21-2014), Norri (04-13-2014), plums (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

well there is also the amount of product supplied in addition to the $22 versus $195 to consider.

did you use the same amount of product for each side or does one spread thinner?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Here's some information on Synergy:
  • It is the first and only carnauba wax that is fortified with nano-glass ceramic particles.
  • A single jar will yield in excess of 25 applications. Considering each application lasts a minimum of 6 months...a single jar will last years.
  • Synergy doesn't make the paint slick until several hours after being applied and removed. This is because the wax has to cure. Once it cures, the paint will be very slick and even glossier than when you initially applied it.
  • Synergy stays slick. Most waxes will be slick immediately after being applied, but that slick smooth feeling usually goes away after a day or two.
  • Synergy was formulated so it will set up and bond to coated vehicles. Most waxes and coatings don't play well together, so the wax only sticks for a couple days, or a week at best.
  • Synergy beads more than any other wax - closer to the same type of beading that coatings exhibit.
  • Synergy is effortless to remove - it doesn't dust, smear, or streak.

Synergy application tips:
  • Ensure surface is CLEAN and COOL to the touch.
  • Even if your vehicle is "garage kept" and "well maintained," you should ALWAYS clay and PREP the surface prior to application. If your vehicle was coated several months prior to application of Synergy, you should still use Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish first. Check out this article by Mike Phillips.
  • To ensure even coverage, it's ideal to apply a second coat a couple hours after the first coat.

The following 2 users liked this post by PinnacleWax:
JimC64 (04-02-2014), Norri (04-13-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
well there is also the amount of product supplied in addition to the $22 versus $195 to consider.

did you use the same amount of product for each side or does one spread thinner?
Synergy is a 5 oz. can. The Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0 Polymer is an 11 oz. can.

The Meguiars Ultimate wax replaces the NXT Gen 2.0 but is still 11 oz. and cost is the same, $22.00...

Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax - 11 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax - 11 oz.: Automotive

The Synergy applies slightly thinner than the Meguiars.

This was a test to try to see what the results would be using a $195.00 product vs a lower priced but respected brand such as a Meguiar's product which cost just $22.00.

This was not done to disparge any product or brand, but to bring attention to a what a auto owner might be getting for their money spent. In my case, using the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating was the best for the car and resulted in a great finish to car for $79.99 and can be used on about 3 vehicles.

I had never spent so much for a car wax in the past, but was drawn into the hype of the product. So after the application of the 2 products, I see no reason to expend $195.00 for this Pinnacle Synergy Product when you can achieve very high quality results using a much lower priced product such as the Meguiars Ultimate Paste Polymer wax or the NXT Gen 2.0. The Synergy was applied to 2 premium vehicles, Jaguar and Porsche.

I have no complaints about spending the $144.95. Would I do it again with what I know now? the answer is NO. I would not buy this product again. This was a good learning experience, and feel this product is dramatically overpriced for the average auto owner to buy.

I would like to see a professional non biased review of the product. Mine was an DIY independent review and application.

My point is that a much lower priced new tech product can acheive superior results without having to spend $195.00 and have to re apply every 6 months. I really and honestly don't think that the average car owner could tell if the product applied, really makes a difference at $195.00 vs. a product for $22.00.

I would venture to bet that if any detailer completed a detail job with good lower priced product and told the customer they used a high end $195.00 product the customer would not see any difference. They would just assume the detailer used the higher priced product.

If any auto enthusiatst wants to spend $195.00 for the product, they can do so. I wanted to bring an honest up front evaluation of what I have personally seen using the two priced products.

I guess the test comes when I wash the car and test the durability of each wax, applied to 1/2 of the car evenly split on a $77,000 2014 Porsche Cayman 981.

I just can't recommend spending $195.00 for this Pinnacle Synergy Wax product. I also have to wonder what made the price go from $169.99 to $195.99 other than hype and marketing of this product.

Photos to follow after washing.

Last edited by richzak; 04-02-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Here is another thought; why use a wax when we have sealants that will last much longer, produce the same or better shine, offer better protection and often apply and remove easier?

If I use a wax these days, if will put it on top of a sealant and see if it increases the glossy/wet look. Very often it does NOT. On darker colors it does.

I think the days of wax are going the way of the 8 Track tape.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJL
Here is another thought; why use a wax when we have sealants that will last much longer, produce the same or better shine, offer better protection and often apply and remove easier?

If I use a wax these days, if will put it on top of a sealant and see if it increases the glossy/wet look. Very often it does NOT. On darker colors it does.

I think the days of wax are going the way of the 8 Track tape.
I totally agree....

It has been 10 days since the Pinnacle Synergy Wax $195.00 was applied on 1/2 of the 2014 Porsche Cayman 981 and 1/2 of the Meguairs $22.00 NXT Gen 2.0 Wax (Ultimate wax).

Today, I uncovered the car and hosed down the car for a water beading test. I could not see any differentation of the two sides or the 2 wax products that were applied. I have posted 3 photos taken at different angles. The application of the 2 waxes was done straight down the middle of the entire car. Synergy on one side, Meguiars the other side.

Perhaps someone can tell the difference, of what side is which.

Bottom line in my personal application and opinion, the $22.00 Meguiars Polymer Paste Wax is just as good as the Pinnacle Synergy $195.00 wax. I see no reason to waste your money buying this overated Pinnacle Synergy Wax. Any automobile owner can spend what they want. Hopefully other premium auto owners will complete the same type of test and report back here on the forum. Personally, I would NOT purchase this product again or recommended it to anyone. It is dramatically overpriced and hyped in the marketing of this Pinnacle Synergy product.

Attached Thumbnails Pinnacle Synergy-5.00 vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0-.00-pinnacle-synergy-vs-meguiars-ultimate-water-bead-001.jpg   Pinnacle Synergy-5.00 vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0-.00-pinnacle-synergy-vs-meguiars-ultimate-water-bead-002.jpg   Pinnacle Synergy-5.00 vs. Meguiars NXT Gen 2.0-.00-pinnacle-synergy-vs-meguiars-ultimate-water-bead-003.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

There seems to be less water on the passenger side, so I'm guessing that that may be the expensive one.