Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing / Car care (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/)
-   -   Question about Car Wax (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/question-about-car-wax-111479/)

liza 02-09-2014 10:29 AM

Question about Car Wax

My Jag will be 3 months old soon and I was looking for some opinions on how long should I wait to do my first waxing. I wash the car every week unless its too cold, but it's pretty much kept nice and clean. The car is outdoors all the time. Thanks!

stevev201 02-09-2014 02:00 PM

Liza, You can start waxing your car anytime you want. There is not a waiting period as the cars paint is more than cured by the time it arrives on our shores. I highly recommend using a good wax since it takes no longer to apply and to remove than a cheap one. Mothers or Meguiers are both good, paste or liquid. They both make a pure wax or a cleaner wax. On a new car with a clean surface, the pure wax works great. Remember to wax only on a cool surface (not cold weather) and use a wash product made for cars to wash with. Do not use Joy,Tide or Ivory type home products. They will strip off all your wax and are hard on the paint clear coat. I use micro fiber towels to remove the wax, but you can use old towels. Just remember that when you was those, do not use any type of softners, just was with regular laundry soap. I hope this isnt to long a reply, but I do all my own detailing and have tried a lot of products. If you want to go a step further use a detail clay bar first before you wax to ensure a really clean and smooth surface. Enjoy the car! Steve

aholbro1 02-09-2014 02:40 PM

Before you start, make sure your dealer didn't leave you with some very fine, micro-scratches when they performed the pre-delivery-detail. It is more common than you would expect. If so, you'll need to correct those for that truly breathtaking shine! Your color is not as prone to highlight them as a black or other dark color, though, so you have an advantage there. Have a look at some of David's posts:

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: Innovative Detailing

He has been a great resource for such questions and in the past has welcomed PM inquiries. However, seems he's not been active since December, so I'm not sure how successful that may be. Doesn't seem to post as prolifically as he used to, either.

AllanG 02-10-2014 09:26 AM

As mentioned, no need to wait, in fact with the weather this winter sooner would be better than later :) Just make sure you do it inside or on a warmish day (50+ degF min, 60+ is better)

Instead of just a wax, you might want to consider a sealant. Sealants will offer better protection from the elements and still produce a lovely shine. Even better, you can top them with a wax and get the best of both world's :)

I've had great results using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and topping it with Pinnacle Souveran wax. Collinite also makes some great products.

As Alhobro1 mentions your final results will mostly depend on the condition of the paint to start with so make sure it properly cleaned first. Claying and then using a pre-wax cleaner is also a good idea and a swirl remover if necessary.

PinnacleWax 02-10-2014 01:42 PM

I agree with everyone above. There is no need to wait to apply any type of protection, your paint is good to go. Also make sure that the paint is flawless, sometimes you may get minor swirls and scratches from transportation or maybe even dealer instilled swirls. This is where dealerships use rotary buffers and mess the paint up by simply leaving buffer trails and holograms.

After the paint is in good shape, you can apply a paint sealant, a wax or both. You do want the weather to be above 60 degrees, otherwise the bonding and ease of use becomes very difficult.

If you really want to stand out of the crowd with the best protection possible, I would highly recommend using Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating. This is a nano-ceramic glass coating that you can apply to the paint to achieve 3 years of protection. This protection is much more durable than any wax or paint sealant period.

The best part, you have a new paint job so the prep work before applying is much easier than if you had a car with nasty swirls, scratches, and imperfections. With a newer paint job, all you have to do is remove any minor imperfections (in any), use the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish as a cleaner before you apply the coating. Then simply spray on the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating and you're good to go. That's my opinion :icon_mrgreen:

Definitely take a look at nano-ceramic glass coatings
Pinnacle Black Label Collection