Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing / Car care (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/)
-   -   swirl remover : what is the best product out there ? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/swirl-remover-what-best-product-out-there-154879/)

Terry007 12-19-2015 12:56 AM

swirl remover : what is the best product out there ?

Hi,

I need to remove some light swirls and spider veins off a black XJS , I will most likely doing it by hand because I'm not confortable using a machine ( I guess I'm afraid to damage the paint )
What would you say say are the best effective products out there ? I have watched few YouTube videos and they all seam like paid advertisements .

Thank you for your replies .

Terry

GGG 12-19-2015 02:22 AM

Terry,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to Detailing / Car Care forum.

You'll find plenty of advice on swirl removal products and techniques here.

Graham

PinnacleWax 12-19-2015 09:54 AM

Hi Terry,

By hand it will take you quite a bit of time, doing it with a dual action polisher such as a Porter Cable would be much easier and you would get better results. Here are a couple options to consider:

BY HAND
Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover - Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover
Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish - Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio - CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio - Your Choice!
Use the Orange CCS Euro hand applicator with the Swirl Remover and use the White CCS Euro hand applicator with the Finishing Polish. Once again, these steps do take quite a bit of time by hand so make sure you realize this before you get started. It's not just wipe on and the swirls are gone, you actually have to work these 2 products in sections at a time. It will take time, but it can be done! After these 2 steps, just apply your favorite wax!

BY MACHINE:
Pinnacle Porter Cable 7424XP Kit - Pinnacle Porter Cable 7424XP Kit
This kit has EVERYTHING you need! From the medium cut swirl remover, to the fine cut finishing polish, the wax, and a detail spray for maintenance. It has the dual action polisher, pads, and towels as well. You simply cannot mess up with a dual action polisher. It has low speed and the pad oscillates and spins at the same time(meaning it is constantly moving around). This movement plus the low speeds simply cannot generate enough heat to damage the paint. Just follow the instructions and everything will come out GREAT! Hope this helps!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ae6f1ad928.jpg

Shoreguy 10-05-2017 01:01 PM

Don't be afraid of the Porta Cable machine it is the bomb! Will not hurt your paint in the least. May want to watch a few YOU Tube videos on best ways to use it. After your first panel and you see the results your confidence will be boosted to the point that you can't wait to do the rest of the car.

Best swirl remover and glaze I have found is Wolfgang. Not cheap but results are stellar.

Spikepaga 10-09-2017 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Terry007 (Post 1367648)
Hi,

I need to remove some light swirls and spider veins off a black XJS , I will most likely doing it by hand because I'm not confortable using a machine ( I guess I'm afraid to damage the paint )
What would you say say are the best effective products out there ? I have watched few YouTube videos and they all seam like paid advertisements .

Thank you for your replies .

Terry

All my cars are British Racing Green and it’s impossible to damage a car with a Porter Cable. If nothing else I find that a Porter Cable XP may not be aggressive enough

Shoreguy 10-10-2017 07:50 AM

I like others here are big fans of the Porter Cable machine for good reason. It works very well. I also agree that it is very difficult to harm the paint surfaces using proper technique.

However, you can cut through edges if you go at them for to long or to aggressively.

As I said above check out some of the You Tube videos available. They have a lot of good information regarding use and technique. Definitely worth a few minutes of your time before tackling your car.