Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing / Car care (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/)
-   -   water spots (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/water-spots-157493/)

Cherry_560sel 02-08-2016 10:09 PM

water spots

Just noticed some water spots that have dug into the clearcoat and won't come off. I am wondering who else has had this problem and what they did to correct it. I take my cars to CarSpa here in Plano and the detailer tells me to do a light respray. I have a midnight black XF. If the choice is between a respray or letting a detail person go to work with a DA what would be the best option? TIA for any insights:icon_beerchug:

MellieR 05-30-2016 06:34 AM

Detailer. May not even need DA. We had a 3rd car parked in the drive for about two months. We were giving it to family and waiting for them to come over to pick it up. The exterior had white water stains all over it and the glass on one side so bad you couldn't really see out those windows. Apparently it was getting doused by the sprinklers twice a week. I took it to car wash and then tried a few things at home with no luck so, hubby took it to detailers at work (he works for car dealer). They didn't do anything special (or they would have charged him for it!) but they were able to get the spots off the body and windows. Looked great when we got it back. I should say these guys aren't known for going above and beyond so if they can fix it, I'm sure a reputable detailer can get you straightened out quickly.

MellieR 05-30-2016 06:35 AM

Of course, just realized this was from Feb...nothing like bringing a post back from the dead!

Grzldvt 10-30-2016 01:43 AM

New to the forum, and own a very high end detailing shop in Silicon Valley... Posting this for others that might be searching for water spots.
Sprinklers create a mineral deposits in paint, some ground minerals contain a mild acid that will etch/eat the paint. If not taken care of right away, wet sanding is the only solution.
If mild there is a commercial acid made specifically to remove mineral deposits.
Rain might contain some aerial acid and will also etch the paint, but normally rain water is pretty harmless.

AussieTimmeh 11-30-2016 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Grzldvt (Post 1560600)
New to the forum, and own a very high end detailing shop in Silicon Valley... Posting this for others that might be searching for water spots.
Sprinklers create a mineral deposits in paint, some ground minerals contain a mild acid that will etch/eat the paint. If not taken care of right away, wet sanding is the only solution.
If mild there is a commercial acid made specifically to remove mineral deposits.
Rain might contain some aerial acid and will also etch the paint, but normally rain water is pretty harmless.

For those looking for a specific product, 3D Eraser is a great product for this. It can help with etching on glass as well.

But as it is acidic itself, you need to flush the car with water extensively after use to make sure it doesn't stay on the car. Also it's a good idea to wear gloves with it.

Also, it'll strip off any wax or sealant on your car, so don't forget to re-apply protection afterwards.