Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Detailing / Car care (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/)
-   -   whats the best glass cleaner? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/detailing-car-care-20/whats-best-glass-cleaner-40189/)

MDJag 08-04-2010 09:06 PM

whats the best glass cleaner?

need to know whats the best glass cleaner on the market...my glass has a film/sheen visible when the sunlight hits it. ive tried using rubbing alcohol but didnt get rid of it. any advice would be much appreciated.

Jaggyx 08-05-2010 01:25 AM

Try invisible glass, its ammonia free and safe on tinted windows. There are many other good products out there but this is the product I use.

Innovative Detailing 08-05-2010 02:43 AM

I highly recommend Meguiar's D12001 Ammonia Free Glass Cleaner......Its a 10:1 mix so this one gallon will make 10 gallons. Works awesome under any conditions.

Description:
Ammonia free glass cleaner
Packaging:
1 Gallon, part # D-12001
5 Gallon, part # D-12005
Features:
  • Non-ammoniated
  • Non-butyl
  • Non-streaking
  • Biodegradable

Paintable:
Yes
Dilution:
(Water : Glass Cleaner)
10:1
Application:
Dilute. Spray or wipe on, wipe off.
Hazard Rating:
Health = 2 Scale: 4 = Extreme Fire = 3 3 = High Reactivity = 0 2 = Moderate Specific Hazard = 0 1 = Slight
0 = Insignificant Warning: FLAMMABLE. Liquid may burn with invisible flame. Causes eye and skin irritation. Moderate inhalation and skin absorption hazard. Harmful if swallowed.

KAM 02XJR 08-13-2010 06:26 PM

Glass Cleaner

I have used Spray Way for years on all my vehicles including several MBs and on my XJR. It is inexpensive, ammonia free, and leaves no films or streaks. I started using it when I worked in new car make ready at a dealer and it has always been a dependable product, Now if I can just keep my wax from being discontinued by the maker ....:icon_doh:

retromotors 08-16-2010 07:59 AM

I'll admit to being a low-tech kinda guy, but someone showed me a simple method a long time ago. It's always worked great for me.

Plain water with a touch of white vinegar added. Wipe off with wadded newspaper ... something about the newsprint or ink does the trick.

If nothing else, it's cheap to try!

Good luck.

Spitfire 09-01-2010 04:32 PM

Invisible Glass hands down. Just picked up a 4 pack from Costco for $12.99 CDN.

JimC64 09-01-2010 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 176836

retro, the low tech way huh?
I've used that process myself in years gone by here n there, but not now...It really does work a treat though:)

Windigo 09-01-2010 07:24 PM

Try a clay bar with some Adams glass cleaner kit which comes with a sealer as well. 50 mph and above you wont need wipers. Use it on my 08 Portfolio

Doug 09-01-2010 08:09 PM

I'll be trying some of the above products/suggestions.

My problem, which I welcome comment on, is "out gassing" from the interior plastics and vinyls which leaves a rather oily-ish haze on the glass over a period of time. it is difficult to remove. It just smears.

Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers
DD

Windigo 09-02-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 240359)
I'll be trying some of the above products/suggestions.

My problem, which I welcome comment on, is "out gassing" from the interior plastics and vinyls which leaves a rather oily-ish haze on the glass over a period of time. it is difficult to remove. It just smears.

Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers
DD

I've seen that on my trucks windows because the dash they use is of such high quality (insert sarcasm here). I know exactly what you mean but it seems odd that a Jag would have the out gassing. For interios cleaning I usually use Stoner glass cleaner and or Adams, both of which has removed it from the trucks windows. If it stays oily, it's likely a case of repetitive cleaning until it's removed.

Doug 09-03-2010 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Windigo (Post 240640)
I've seen that on my trucks windows because the dash they use is of such high quality (insert sarcasm here). I know exactly what you mean but it seems odd that a Jag would have the out gassing. For interios cleaning I usually use Stoner glass cleaner and or Adams, both of which has removed it from the trucks windows. If it stays oily, it's likely a case of repetitive cleaning until it's removed.

Thanks.

I've also wondered if perhaps the cleaning/conditioning products I use?

I use Aero 303 on plastic/vinyl and Leatherique and Lexol on leather...but none of them are used excessively, IMHO.

Cheers
DD

JXR 03-12-2023 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by retromotors (Post 234784)
I'll admit to being a low-tech kinda guy, but someone showed me a simple method a long time ago. It's always worked great for me.

Plain water with a touch of white vinegar added. Wipe off with wadded newspaper ... something about the newsprint or ink does the trick.

If nothing else, it's cheap to try!

Good luck.

What’s a newspaper?