Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Diesel variants - All models (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/diesel-variants-all-models-52/)
-   -   Jaguar's 2.2 Diesel Engine (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/diesel-variants-all-models-52/jaguars-2-2-diesel-engine-57769/)

Cadillac 07-15-2011 04:42 AM

Jaguar's 2.2 Diesel Engine

Jaguar XF's 4 cylinder diesel engine is promising good fuel efficiency yet delievering very good driving experience
Mark IV was the very 1st car to come with the 4 bangers in Jaguar history datin' back to 1949 .

Here are some specs to the diesel engine

Engine : 2179 cc
Valve : 4 per cylinder
HP : 190 HP
Maximum Torque Value : 450 Nm/2000
Transmission : 8 speeds

0-100 km/h : 8.5 secs
Maximum Speed : 225 km/h
Fuel Consumption : 5.4 lt / 100 km

Another feature is this car comes with the start / stop system . It's reported that this is finally a very consistent stuff and works very fine unlike other cars that's equipped with this

Actually, I am not a big fan of such things but this still should be very useful if you are calculating inch per gallon / liter per centimeter lol

Leedsman 07-17-2011 04:48 AM

Do not underestimate the value of stop-start benefits. It makes a considerable difference in stuck traffic both diesel and petrol. A distinctly measurable difference to your fuel consumption that is, along with the deceleration shut-off facility. Of course, it goes without mention that the air will be clearer in big cities without all those cars idling away and going nowhere.
My measurements show over the last two years that idling a cold diesel partic. consumes a really surprizing amount of fuel, making serious inroads on the overall MPG.
Leedsman.

JimC64 07-17-2011 05:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 171042

Yep, I agree on the stop / start Leedsman and the effect of idling a large diesel engine for any length of time.

I've seen me soemtimes really trying to work on my mpg and really getting it up into high figures, such as 52.1mpg or more often the high 40's....getting stuck in traffic and it soon comes falling down.
The other experience is having had high average mpg showing and then the car visits the dealership and comes back showing maybe 28mpg:icon_emm: if they've idled it for long periods, whilst looking for faults to show etc

carelm 07-22-2011 07:36 AM

Do vehicles with start-stop have the capability to work the climate control systems? If not, they won't sell in the US. Imagine getting caught in traffic in DC when it's 105 degrees F and no a/c or in Buffalo when it's -8 degrees F and no heat.

Mike

Leedsman 07-23-2011 03:34 AM

Good point Carelm, in cold weather, no engine means no heat. I suppose they'd have to fit a cabin heater like in big wagons where the driver sleeps in it, so he won't freeze to death. Or indeed in all electric vehicles. (You can't waste precious electric power in heat).
Incidentally, one german maker, I think it was Audi, has developed a starting system with no ring-gear, no flying starter pinions and no moving parts (the flywheel is the only component that moves); it starts the engine silently in 0.25sec., that's right 250msec! That starter doubles an alternator, saving money there. It appears you just touch the accelerator pedal at stop-engine mode, and off it goes like an electric motor...I'm trying to find the exact details, but there's not much info.
Leedsman.

ronbros 07-25-2011 07:28 PM

good point ; how do the electric hybrids do it??

cant imagine no A/C in texas at 100+ F, caught in friday afternoon traffic, i suppose a thermometer setting that dont shut the engine down, same in cold wether!

how do the full electric cars do it ,Nissan leaf ,or tesla sedans, good point?

ronbros 07-29-2011 11:06 PM

a little follow up on electric A/Cs, seems as tho newer developments in A/C is just that electric units ,no belts. sounds like a good idea also raising the battery voltage to 36-45volts .

we have now electric power steering, talk is development of electric brakes, that can regenerate battery power.

plus some other electric units in a modern automobile.

look at the amazing electronics of a modern diesel engine.

ronbros 12-03-2011 06:49 PM

interesting comment on local TV,Austin Texas, estimates that idling in down town traffic , WASTE close to a million and a half USD per yr.

thats an eye opener!!

ronbros 12-24-2011 06:19 PM

did you guys see that Jaguar TV add, for the 2.2L diesel XF, across USA from NYC to LA, averaging around 53 mpg, some conflicting of 63 mpg or 53 mpg, may be to do with UK gal. or USA gal. anyway 2800 miles one way! thats a good test of hiway mpg

also trying to find actual engine builder, seems maybe a BMW unit or a PSA unit??

WeegieBob 03-05-2012 02:40 PM

I take delivery of a 2.2 D XF at the end of the month - I'll let you guys know how I get on as fuel economy is important to me.

Currently I run a 2L VW Golf TDI GT that regularly sees 60mpg (Imperial), so I hope the Jaguar is somewhere near, perhaps 45 / 50 mpg daily.

ronbros 03-05-2012 05:27 PM

who makes the 2.2L Jag diesel engine?

and kool ,you have a 57 Chevy ,350/350.

way back 1961 i had a 57 chev Belair hard top, that i installed a 409cu.in and a 4speed Corvette trans, it was a bad/ast car, not much around could outrun it!

course i was young/dumb/and full of cu#e!

JimC64 03-08-2012 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 165688

It was a Ford unit iirc, the same as they used in the Ford Mondeo ST Tdci.......a great diesel car with excellent performance and good fuel economy too......winner all round

WeegieBob 03-09-2012 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ronbros (Post 478665)
and kool ,you have a 57 Chevy ,350/350.

way back 1961 i had a 57 chev Belair hard top, that i installed a 409cu.in and a 4speed Corvette trans, it was a bad/ast car, not much around could outrun it!

course i was young/dumb/and full of cu#e!

If its any consolation, I'm old/dumb and full of fun - that's why I run a Chevy here in Scotland. There's only about 15 Tri-5's here, so they're a rare sight on our roads, but everybody here says "love your Cadillac"!!!! :icon_musclecar:

ronbros 03-09-2012 07:43 PM

THX, JimC64,, i'm always interested of what manufacturer actually designed an engine, any engine, who made the 1st rendition, even tho it would be modified or upgraded later!

seems as tho PSA and Ford have a quiet dispute over who did engineer the Ford tdci and the PSA HDI DW12, first!

England says Ford at Dagenham,, and PSA in France.

PSA does have much experience with diesel engines!

BUT so does Ford, at Dagenham!

searching comes up with cylinder block castings came from Brazil foundries,
but more debate some say India.

block is a CGI material(compacted graphite iron), not allowed to be manufactured in a lot of countries, enviormental concerns.

anyway just some thoughts about it.

eitheir way a darn good engine, i kinda favor the twin turbo from PSA.

things get lost in time and usual BS.

like GM best selling petrol 4cyl. is the famous ECOTEC, was 1st put to service by OPEL,
and upgraded at least 7-8 times! by GM.

Ron

JimC64 03-20-2012 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 165423

dunno about the above Ron......all I know is that in my ST Tdci I had, it pushed out 155bhp, I had this very easily remapped up to 195bhp.
The torque from this thing was amazing, especially couple to the lightweight body of the Ford Mondeo in ST form.

I had many of the earlier versions of this in more than a few Mondeos I had, mostly all from new. Each one put around 160k miles on them in 3 years and none had any real issues to speak of.

I think it put out around 153bhp in the X type and was still a pretty quick car relatively speaking of course.

Barry Jillett 11-19-2016 05:49 AM

Xtype 2.2 155bhp to XF 2.2 197bhp

I Traded in my 07 Xtype 2.2D Sov Estate 155bhp 6 speed Manual for a 2015 XF Sportbrake 2.2D portfolio 197bhp 8 speed Auto.

I have had the XF for just over two weeks I was expecting the XF to have similar performance to the Xtype due to it being bigger and heavier. But that is not the case the XF feels like a much quicker car no matter what speed your traveling at. I was really surprised at the rate at which it accelerates and keeps accelerating the Xtype felt quick but the 197bhp XF is a very nice performance upgrade.

Engine noise when pushed hard the XF is quieter than the Xtype but when traveling at 70mph there is no comparison the XF is silent compared to the Xtype and the Xtype is not noisy. The Xtype does suffer from more wind noise

Fuel consumption time will tell but it is looking good for the XF I have only really done short runs average speed over 2 weeks 20.2 mph showing 34.6mpg which is better than the 33.2 mpg mixed usage mainly short runs after weeks of Xtype use

I am 6ft 5ins so seating position is always a challenge I found the seats in the Xtype comfortable but they could have been better and been slightly taller and wider. The XF seats are much better with a lot more options for getting comfortable.

I really enjoyed driving the Xtype 2.2D for several years, but the XF 2.2D is more refined and quicker and I am looking forward to driving it hopefully it will be as reliable as my old Xtype

ronbros 11-19-2016 02:35 PM

cars,automobiles have come along way in the past 9 years.

like comfort, noise, easy driving, MPG,etc.

multi speed transmissions have made acceleration and hispeed cruising much better!

as you may have noticed auto transmissions have gone from 4 speed to 5 speed, 6 speed 7 , 8 speed and now 10 speeds!

just to put the engine in an almost perfect torque range, for accel. and cruising for MPG, noise reduction!

Diesels have a lot of torque, but not much hi rpm potential, so a multi speed trans does do wonders for them!

i like them, but seems the VW and California(CARB) BS has put a dark cloud over them!

i have never met anyone with a modern Diesel car that does not like the cars, and i ask them anytime i see one in a parking lot, always hi praise !