E-Pace 2018 - Onwards

Brief review of E-Pace P250

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Brief review of E-Pace P250

I had my Jaguar in for service and was given bright blue E-Pace SE P250 AWD loaner. The car only had about 100 km, so I was one of the first few people to drive it.

Overall, I really liked the car. It was roomy inside, had a very nice interior, and didn't have any notable flaws with handling. Unlike XE that I drove last year that had the same engine/transmission combination - I didn't experience any issues with unnecessary downshifting during braking.

Pros:
- Buttons for everything you need. This includes radio volume, climate, seats, A/C, temperature
- Very clean interior without major design flaws
- Large and clear infotainment screen clearly within view
- I liked all-leather upholstery, seats were comfortable
- Collision avoidance warning system works well - beeped during highway rapid slow down and was otherwise non-intrusive
- Rear view camera had clear view
- The car was proportionate, however it is a bit too large to be called CUV. It is small SUV.
- Reverse side mirror dip! I love this feature and find it more useful than reverse camera.

Cons:
- Headlight operation was not intuitive. The car was equipped with auto headlight tech, but the rotating stalk would return to center unless was held. So unclear how to override auto mode.
- Upgraded 14 way seats had too many seat controls that you had to navigate by touch, as buttons are on the side of the seat and out of sight when you sit
- GPS nagged me to sign in at every stop light
- Infotainment unit asked for my permission to send all location and browsing data to a third party. This means that all kinds of data going through SIM. However, there was an opt out hidden at the bottom of accept click-through. I think bundling what I see as spyware with a new car is a hugely bad idea. JLR, I want you to respect your customer's privacy. I recommend removing SIM card.
- I was asked if this is electric Jaguar. Whoever is in charge of E-pace I-pace branding needs to differentiate these.

Overall, I feel this is a much better car than F-Pace.

Last edited by SinF; 07-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I had my Jaguar in for service and was given bright blue E-Pace SE P250 AWD loaner. The car only had about 100 km, so I was one of the first few people to drive it.

Overall, I really liked the car. It was roomy inside, had a very nice interior, and didn't have any notable flaws with handling. Unlike XE that I drove last year that had the same engine/transmission combination - I didn't experience any issues with unnecessary downshifting during braking.

Pros:
- Buttons for everything you need. This includes radio volume, climate, seats, A/C, temperature
- Very clean interior without major design flaws
- Large and clear infotainment screen clearly within view
- I liked all-leather upholstery, seats were comfortable
- Collision avoidance warning system works well - beeped during highway rapid slow down and was otherwise non-intrusive
- Rear view camera had clear view
- The car was proportionate, however it is a bit too large to be called CUV. It is small SUV.
- Reverse side mirror dip! I love this feature and find it more useful than reverse camera.

Cons:
- Headlight operation was not intuitive. The car was equipped with auto headlight tech, but the rotating stalk would return to center unless was held. So unclear how to override auto mode.
- Upgraded 14 way seats had too many seat controls that you had to navigate by touch, as buttons are on the side of the seat and out of sight when you sit
- GPS nagged me to sign in at every stop light
- Infotainment unit asked for my permission to send all location and browsing data to a third party. This means that all kinds of data going through SIM. However, there was an opt out hidden at the bottom of accept click-through. I think bundling what I see as spyware with a new car is a hugely bad idea. JLR, I want you to respect your customer's privacy. I recommend removing SIM card.
- I was asked if this is electric Jaguar. Whoever is in charge of E-pace I-pace branding needs to differentiate these.

Overall, I feel this is a much better car than F-Pace.
My impressions were similar to yours. Just to add a few points. The ride quality is really good and so is the handling. It understeers off power but you can really feel the 4wd working when you get on the power that makes it feel more rwd than awd. The nine speed automatic is OK but I prefer the ZF 8 speed in the F type. I think 9 speed sometime upshifts too early.

The 4 cylinder can also feel a bit underpowered on the highway (it may be the transmission upshifting early) although the turbo lag is much improved over the xe. The interior is also nicer than the xe and you sit high and have a commanding view of the road. Overall, a good job for the small SUV market particularly for those that want a stylish and sporty SUV but personally this car genre is not my cup of tea.