E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Does paint color damage price

Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM
k52
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does paint color damage price

I am thinking of restoring a series 2 xke roadster and I can't stand the burgundy paint color (not sure that it is even an original color).

the car has been meticulously restored from frame up.

would a nice cinnamon kill the value? (or any other non-stock but great color)

thanks K52

Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Tough question k52 . . . discussed many times here. Short answer = YES! Of the next 10 posts I'll bet you get at least 7 different opinions. I'll base mine on a fair blend of personal experience and collective wisdom.
  • first priority is aim for car . . . potential resale or, to hell with market values, this is my baby and that's that;
  • market preferences and thus values still seem to put a significant premium on a narrow group of colours . . . Signal Red, Old English White, Midnight or Sapphire Blue, and British Racing Green;
  • local climate plays a part . . . several of above original paints did not fare well in harsh, glaring climates;
  • for obvious reasons, the interior trim and top colours of roadsters are far more powerful than on coupes, where from above and behind, the body colour dominates;
  • unless you also intend to replace all interior, you may / may not be limited to good options for body colours.
Now, for my personal experience . . . nearly 50 years ago, I narrowed down my purchase choice to 5 E-Types, all immaculate low mileage 1 owner with impeccable service histories, provenance and documentation. The first was Signal Red, but a S3 roadster and I was overcome with V12 nerves. Of the remainder, 50/50 coupe or roadster, 2 were OEW, 1 was superb Sapphire Blue, and 1 Tan (yep, I don't think I've seen one since, except in pics).

We opted for the OEW Series1 FHC with Red interior; the most expensive of the lot and as it happened, we paid exactly half what we paid for our modest home the year before (or roughly 3 times the then price of a brand new family sedan). The other OEW car was a very early original 3.8L and today's hyperventilated market would maybe value it higher than our 4.2L. The Red and the Blue, IIRC, were about 20% cheaper, while the poor Tan (an absolutely gorgeous example in beautiful condition) was half-priced . . . and a year later, was still unsold.

My passion was always for the Signal Red on Red, but the attraction of the Series1 and my desire to preserve its provenance in original condition were compelling. This "originality" issue is huge here, and I think, also UK & Europe, but for many, not so in US. That's why I put it as first priority in above list, for you to resolve. After all, it's your car.

Cheers,

Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 06-20-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 AM
k52
Default regency red

thanks cat. the car has been done exceptionally well and I am thinking of showing it. I would like to change from regency red to signal red.

Do the judges look up the "correct color' and then subtract if the color is the "wrong color" for that specific car?

Can't belive it but I am thinking of keeping the stupid IMHO regency red on all the interior areas and changing the exterior!

I assume that is really stupid but I don't want to take the car completely apart.

(Too bad the frames and engine compartments aren't black then we could paint the car whatever color we wanted and change it back relatively easily)

ALSO

any Jag experts in the SF bay area so I can keep on track and do this right?

thanks again guys and gals, Kent

Old 06-22-2017, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Whoa, Kent, from your great reply I perceive several things that help us better advise you.

First, I love your approach in putting real effort into "doing your homework". You need really knowledgeable advice from not just Jaguar fans, but local acknowledged E-Type gurus.

Second, if you are entering the heady world of Concours, then judging will certainly score (and deduct) against originality . . . and colour originality counts highly.

Thirdly, and it's just my 2 cents, repainting without stripping, and colour changing in particular without stripping, will downgrade your car forever. Please get professional advice on this, if possible from the group who often are show judges . . . many will tell you they can spot such a beast from yards away, and they look for it!

I am sure others will be along to offer expert local knowledge . . . otherwise search here using terms like "respray XK-E" or whatever local term you use for E-Type.

Best wishes in your quest,

Ken

Old 07-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Couldn't agree more with Cat-as -a-Trophy. Changing colors will cause nothing but future headaches. The car must be striped if you are going to do it, and that's a long tedious job if you do it and expense if you farm it out.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM
k52
Default thanks guys

Thanks for the help.
It will be a driver and occasional local show car.
That takes the pressure off a bit.
"Thankfully" the regency red is part of the restoration and all I need to do is rub it out.
I am learning to tolerate and perhaps even appreciate the color, but I will add a clear coat to make it pop!
I think that is the only way I can live with the otherwise less than dramatic color.

K