E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

E-type spin on oil filter conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-type spin on oil filter conversion

Am considering E-type spin on oil filter conversion. Any good ideas, experiences or reviews on kits best suited for my v12 would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I installed one on a customer's 1972 2+2 Auto a few years ago. It sure is easier to replace the filter now!!!!!!

The customer supplied the kit and I don't remember the maker.

bob gauff

Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Thanks Bob,
Am looking at a CoolCat set. The online specs and pics look pretty good.
Although, truthfully I am relatively new to the Jaguar scene but I sure do love working on my Kitty.
I have recently redone the suspension ,brakes/SS brake lines, and rebuilt my SU carbs.
Which bring up another issue. What is recommended as a carb oil? Some say motor oil; others say not.
Andrés

Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The US spec. V12 should have the Stromberg CD175 carbs.
The factory oil is something like 20W but Most people just use Dexron ATF.

bob gauff

Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Default filter relocation

I put a jag v 12 in my boat in the 70s and relocated the oil filter to a remote location. then added a dual spin off . Thus, the marine change had to be to designed in the engine bay. What is the xk8 alternative today ?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I would only use a supplier that majors on Jaguar parts, so you can be confident you will not have any problems. Don't buy a "universal fitting"

The following users liked this post:
Andrés (03-14-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrés
Thanks Bob,
Am looking at a CoolCat set. The online specs and pics look pretty good.
Although, truthfully I am relatively new to the Jaguar scene but I sure do love working on my Kitty.
I have recently redone the suspension ,brakes/SS brake lines, and rebuilt my SU carbs.
Which bring up another issue. What is recommended as a carb oil? Some say motor oil; others say not.
Andrés
I got the CoolCat unit for my 1966 - planning to install it later this week. Very well made - you can't go wrong with Michael Frank. I also got a couple of the OEM Jaguar filters (part no. EBC 9658). A bit more expensive than the anonymous filters, but its got this wonderful dark green lettering with the Jaguar logo, and even the outline of a leaper, on a nice white casing.

Yes, I know that I am shallow.

Andrés (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Great news SCMike,
I'll be talking with the CoolCat people soon.
I'll also get the OEM filters as well!
Andrés
'72 2+2 V12

Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by SCMike
I got the CoolCat unit for my 1966 - planning to install it later this week. Very well made - you can't go wrong with Michael Frank. I also got a couple of the OEM Jaguar filters (part no. EBC 9658). A bit more expensive than the anonymous filters, but its got this wonderful dark green lettering with the Jaguar logo, and even the outline of a leaper, on a nice white casing.

Yes, I know that I am shallow.
I am having thread-match problems in the installation my CoolCat adapter. Until that is resolved, I have to temporarily withdraw my Good Housekeeping Seal. I will update when things settle out.

Andrés (03-22-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Default Re: oil filter spin on adaptor

Hi there, I'm interested in finding out how you make out with the filter modification.

Also do any of you on this thread use an oil extractor to change engine oil?

I use an oil extractor when I change oil on the Mercedes (I hope it's OK to say that word) the oil filter is located on the top of the engiine so it's a quick, clean, easy job to do.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony D
1964 xke, 1968 2+2

Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Welcome Anthony D,
still waiting on feed back from SCMike on the thread-match problem he is having. (Am hoping for his seal of approval) I will also be calling the CoolCat people for any updates or issues concerning the thread-match with the adapter unit.
The oil extractor idea is new to me also since the oil plug and unit is located on the bottom of engine.
Andrés
72 2+2 V12

Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andrés
Welcome Anthony D,
still waiting on feed back from SCMike on the thread-match problem he is having. (Am hoping for his seal of approval) I will also be calling the CoolCat people for any updates or issues concerning the thread-match with the adapter unit.
The oil extractor idea is new to me also since the oil plug and unit is located on the bottom of engine.
Andrés
72 2+2 V12
Patience, patience. I am awaiting the arrival of a replacement part (tomorrow?). I'll post a full write-up after the installation is done - developed a couple of useful tips along the way - assuming all goes well (no reason to assume otherwise).

Andrés (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM

SCMike,
YAY!!!!

Andrés,
72 2+2 V12 San Antonio Kitty

Attached Thumbnails E-type spin on oil filter conversion-72jaguar11.jpg   E-type spin on oil filter conversion-img_0095.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SCMike
Patience, patience. I am awaiting the arrival of a replacement part (tomorrow?). I'll post a full write-up after the installation is done - developed a couple of useful tips along the way - assuming all goes well (no reason to assume otherwise).
OK - progress to report. I received the replacement nipple part (officially identified by Jaguar as the "Anchor Insert") from CoolCat. Ironically, the same day I got the part, I also threw out my back while sweeping the driveway (who says the Almighty does not have a sense of humor). So I am unable to bend over far enough to do the job. But....I did talk She Who Must Be Obeyed into crawling under the car and installing the latest nipple. It is a perfect fit!

The CoolCat kit comes with detailed instructions for the installation (plus a list of dozens of brands of oil filters that will fit). The instructions include color photos of each step - very straightforward. I thought I would give a quickie summary of the install, plus a couple of tips.

Two of my own preliminary steps. First, get the front wheels of the car about 4" off the garage floor (for ease of direct access to the oil filter unit while lying flat on your back at the side of the car - no way SWMBO would have done the nipple install for me without this step). I have a mini-ramp consisting of two 2X8 nailed together step-wise, with a stop nailed on top that I can easily drive onto. Then remove the horizontal splash panel (with the "trap-door") under the filter area. Then on to CoolCat's instruction steps:

1. Remove the stock oil filter canister.
2. Unscrew the original nipple. Here, I used a healthy sized tommy bar inserted through the large hole in the nipple. Took a couple of hammer raps on the bar to loosen the old nipple, after which it unscrewed by hand.
3. Clean the mounting plate and remove the old rubber gasket from the circumferential goove. Usually a PITA. I use a safety pin bent almost straight, hold the pin at the safety clasp end, run the sharp end through the old rubber, and flip the gasket out (like a hooked fish).
4. Install the new nipple by hand. This is where I originally foundered - the first nipple I got would not screw into the threads at all (see below). This is where SWMBO took over to complete the step. I have not done the rest of the steps but it should be straightforward when my back returns from vacation later on this week.
5. Install the new rubber gasket into the groove.
6. Slide the Adaptor Base Assembly (what the spin-on filter will screw onto) over the nipple.
7. Secure the Base Assembly to the nipple with the provided bolt and lock washer - torque to 20 ft-lbs.
8. Spin on the new oil filter.

Easy-peasy. This is for the 6 cylinder engine - I'm not sure if the V12 is any different.

CoolCat really handled this problem in a way that every vendor should. On Thursday at 4:15PM, I left a phone message describing my problem. Five hours later, that evening, I got a call from Michael Frank and described my problem - he quickly figured out the issue. The nipple has a rather unusual thread profile, and about a year ago (when I got the unit), the manufacturer was having problems cutting the threads correctly. I must have one of the old incorrect nipples. MF said that he would get a new nipple to me ASAP. On Friday morning, I got another call from MF saying that he had test-fitted a new nipple in a filter body he had on hand, it fit well, and had been already shipped to me. Would that all vendors stood behind their products with such vigor!

Andrés (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Default Re filter mod and oil extractor

Thank you CSMike for the detailed report, I will check to see if anyone near me sells CoolCat. (for after restoration)

Andres, regarding the oil extractor, It exrtacts the warm/hot engine oil through a tube inserted into the oil dip-stick tube so you donlt have to get under the car to drain the oil. Mercedes engines have the oil filter at the top of the engine making oil and filter change very easy. Perhaps Jaguar has adopted this too. (sorry it's off topic but may be usefull info for some.)

cheers,