Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (
-   E type ( XK-E ) (
-   -   Gulp Valve???? What's that? (

sptfr78 08-28-2018 10:47 AM

Gulp Valve???? What's that?
I keep seeing something called a "gulp valve" on the emissions equipment. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Bob_S 08-28-2018 12:08 PM

Hi Sptfr78,
A gulp valve is part of the emission air injector system. It bleeds off air from the air pump to the exhaust manifold during deceleration to prevent backfire in the exhaust system.

Hope this helps,

gtjoey 08-28-2018 07:54 PM

Shouldn't be on your ETYPE unless you had a xj6 jag motor installed.
Correct me if I'm wrong

Bob_S 08-28-2018 07:59 PM

I don't have my V12 manual in front of me but I think the V-12 have the air injector system on them.

gtjoey 08-28-2018 08:19 PM

Sorry, I was thinking series one and two....6 cylinder....

lrgridley 08-29-2018 11:59 PM

V12s with carbs had Gulp Valves. As indicated it's an emissions item to offset a transient rich mixture condition that occurs with the sudden shut of the throttle. It "gulps" air into the intakes to allow the rich mixture to completely burn.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands