Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/)
-   -   Anyone tried Dr ColorChip? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/anyone-tried-dr-colorchip-34713/)

edlaudio 03-18-2010 02:33 PM

Anyone tried Dr ColorChip?

Has anyone tried Dr ColorChip to touch up small stone chips and scratches? I've just ordered their basic kit to give a try but was wondering if anyone else has had experience using this product, and if yes, how did it work for them. Thanks

joolz 12-27-2010 12:50 AM

Fwiw...

DrColorChip got good reviews from users on the Mercedes forums...

I haven't used them,, and YMMV...

Joolz :icon_bike:

Kapitan1975 01-13-2011 05:28 PM

HI .. you did order the paints?
can you post a before and after picture.
i was thinking of getting my car to the paint shops... but it just too much money..

thanks

Marco 03-11-2012 12:06 PM

I tried it this am. Works quite well. I wouldn't let it dry for more than 5 minutes. I tried squeegying it off with a plastic card but the glove works better. The paint is fairly heavy/sticky. When using the remover use it flat or you'll just take off all the paint. It covered a hairline scratch that had been bugging me for quite awhile. And when using paint less is better. You can go over it the second time if needed.

SeismicGuy 03-11-2012 03:02 PM

Looks very similar to the Langka product that has been around for years. I have had decent luck with Langka but it really largely depends also on the color that you are touching up.

Doug

Stillwaters 03-11-2012 04:55 PM

I used Dr. Color Chip with mixed results on a Pontiac Solstice I owned a couple years back. I just ordered it again for my 2008 XK. The growing number of chips on the front bumper are starting to really bother me, so I am going to give Dr. Color Chip another shot. I'll try to post some before and after pics...

Stillwaters 03-11-2012 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Marco (Post 481444)
When using the remover use it flat or you'll just take off all the paint.

What do you mean, "Use it flat?" I am not sure I understand...

Marco 03-12-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stillwaters (Post 481581)
What do you mean, "Use it flat?" I am not sure I understand...

When applying the remover wipe with the flat of your hand. It smoothes the paint better.

Stillwaters 03-13-2012 05:50 AM

Oh, okay. thanks...

GregW 06-22-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stillwaters (Post 481578)
I used Dr. Color Chip with mixed results on a Pontiac Solstice I owned a couple years back. I just ordered it again for my 2008 XK. The growing number of chips on the front bumper are starting to really bother me, so I am going to give Dr. Color Chip another shot. I'll try to post some before and after pics...

Did you try it? Any luck? I have a few hairline scratches, probably I'm the only person that sees them. The dealer and local auto body shop suggest repainting the entire section. Guess they like to kill ants with bazookas.