Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/)
-   -   Combination... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/combination-39749/)

Fedoraja1 07-26-2010 11:16 PM

Combination...

My plan with the Camaro was to remove the Z28 badging on the fenders and replace it with a black Moosehead logo facing towards the front of the car. I'll get into the reasons as to why a moosehead later. The Z28 badge on the rear was going to be changed to something more personal. I was thinking "J/17" (J for Jared and 17 being my favourite number) in the 1969 Z/28 style, but I haven't quite decided.

But now that I have my XK8, I have some newer ideas (and this goes for both cars).
I will replace the Jaguar and Z28 badges on the fenders with the Moosehead logo. I might put the respective badges beneath the new logo, but I'm not sure.
On the left side rear of the Camaro, I will get a chrome "Chevrolet" to match that of the Jaguar.
On the right side rear of the cars, I will replace the XK8 and Z28 with "JOMO" (my daughter's nickname) in chrome, just like the XK8.
I will also remove the door guards on both cars.
I will get chrome door handles for the Camaro.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about the indented "Camaro" across the back of the Camaro or how I would replicate that on the XK8.
I haven't thought of any ideas for the hood emblems either.

It kind of sounds like I'm tattooing my cars and in a way I am. I'm not really into tattoos so I won't get them on myself, but using my beloved cars as ways to express myself and things important to me is fair game.

What do you think? Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Maybe alternate options?

You can find pictures of the XK8 here and pictures of the Camaro Z28 here.

H20boy 07-27-2010 11:10 AM

Personally, they already share so many common exterior appearance features, I wouldn't debadge +badge anything.

Similarities are good, identicalness (if thats a word) in vehicles isn't in my opinion. Keep them differentiated and individualized in some aspects.

Translator 07-28-2010 06:33 AM

You do whatever keeps you happy, they are your cars.

The only thing that I would make sure of, is that any personalization is fully reversible, from a resale aspect.

Fedoraja1 07-28-2010 10:02 AM

I played around a bit with photoshop last night and I don't think the Mooseheads would be suitable for replacing the side leaper badges. Growler emblems might work though. I'll play around with that a little more later on today.

Originally Posted by Translator (Post 228089)
You do whatever keeps you happy, they are your cars.

The only thing that I would make sure of, is that any personalization is fully reversible, from a resale aspect.

Agreed. The only reason I ask is that I'm not the most creative fellow so if there are other ideas out there, I'd love to hear them and maybe incorporate them in to my short term plans if they suit my taste.

By short term I mean until I can pay for a full body respray to look something like Yurikaze's XK8. Only with different window tint (I'd be looking for a very light crystal blue) and likely different wheels. Maybe even an Arden kit on it. Wheel see what finances allow later on though. Until then though, simple visual additions/subtractions are about all I want to do.

H20boy 07-28-2010 10:58 AM

wheels will be a huge appearance change, as well as a slight tint; what about new exhaust tips (and cut the center muffler out while you're at it :) )

Just trying to think of some 'minor' cost items.

A serious professional detail will freshen up the paint considerably too. I bet that green can go much darker with a good machine cleaning/polish/wax (where a 'hand job' just won't make much of a difference.

I can also help you with LEDs in the brake lamps and turn signals, if you're into that. I like them alot in mine.

Fedoraja1 07-28-2010 02:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You read my mind. Sometimes hand jobs just aren't a suitible substitute for the real thing...:icon_angel:... But I had been looking at work David from Innovative Detailing and another one (Brian from Fine Finishes I think...) and would love something like that for both of my cars.

Unfortunately in town here I don't really have a choice. I think there's one, maybe two places dedicated to detailing. I'm sure Detroit, Mi has a couple and maybe even London, Ont.

I'll have to do a little more research there.

I took the XK8 through a touchless car wash last night, twice, just to ensure most of the grime was off. I'll need to go to town on the floor mats and give it a good vacuuming soon too (I'm the only person who can do a decent job on my cars).

But I'm getting a little off topic. Here's the two options I played around with last night. I tried various sizes of the logo and different shades but nothing really looked right until I moved them fore of the rear wheels. I tried behind the rear wheels. Between the fog lights and front wheels. Below the leaper badge. I think it just clashes with the lines of the car.

Fedoraja1 07-28-2010 05:41 PM

The reason why I've chosen the Moosehead Lager logo is much deeper than the fact it's my favourite beer.

Back in the early childhood, I would always been interested in my dad's favourite animal. I didn't know he really didn't have one, but he would always say it was a moose. So everytime I saw something moose related, I'd point it out or buy as it a gift. It become a pretty good joke in the family that I thought it was his favourite animal. Once I figured it out... only a couple of years ago... I started buying the tackiest moose things I could find, including two different lamps that have never seen the light of day, as joke gifts. When my daughter was born I bought her a soft cuddly moose blankie. When she was baptized, my parents bought her a stuffed moose. Those have since become her security objects and a lot of her clothes are adorned with the animal.

H20boy 07-28-2010 07:59 PM

No Moose, No Moose!

H20boy 07-29-2010 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw these ADR wheels on ebay, then went to the manufacturer's website, they come in hyper black, or silver...and 8.5 inch or 9.5 inch widths. You could go staggered if you wanted. My XK8 has 8 inch front / 9 inch rears, so there's a little extra for you.

What do you think? They kinda remind me of the Proteus just a bit. Not bad price for set of four either ($500 or so)

Attachment 177282

http://www.adrwheels.ca/gallery/adrmsportred350z.jpg

Also like the NS Racing F273 wheels also, something like the 5-star apollos on mine.

http://www.wheelfinders.com/images/nsracing_f273.jpg Come in 19" and 5x120 bolt patterns. Here's a link to an ebay ad, little larger pics, but wrong pattern. Man I like shopping for these things...

Fedoraja1 07-30-2010 10:23 AM

So I'm looking for a 5x120 bolt pattern for the XK8? What about offset?

H20boy 07-30-2010 10:27 AM

Can't help you on offset, you could always remove a wheel of and take a measurement yourself, best way to do it anyway. :)

Fedoraja1 07-31-2010 09:19 PM

Apparently my Z28 shares the same bolt pattern as the XK8. Unless I'm missing something, that opens up a whole new door to the world of wheels.

H20boy 08-01-2010 12:17 AM

the jag wheels are hubcentric, that'll throw a curve ball at ya.

Fedoraja1 08-01-2010 09:36 AM

Aren't most wheels though? I suppose I'd just need to get a spacer or something if the wheels don't fit.

Fedoraja1 08-31-2010 02:03 PM

I've decided that I'm going to fix up the paint on both cars so I can get some pictures of my daughter and I with the "twins" then after that I don't know. Might repaint the Camaro and keep the XK8 green or I might do the reverse. Hell I might even trade the XK8 in if an XKR coupe becomes available before I can have it repainted.