Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/)
-   -   How can I remove X Type door mirror, front & rear bumpers (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/how-can-i-remove-x-type-door-mirror-front-rear-bumpers-29285/)

reggie 11-26-2009 11:17 AM

How can I remove X Type door mirror, front & rear bumpers

I have just purchased a 2004 X type which has a few cosmetic issues.
The passengers side door mirror is broken (the entire unit)and needs to be renewed.
The front bumper lower grill trim is broken and to fit a new one the bumper needs to be removed I think, and while I`m at it may replace the factory trim with mesh instead which you can buy in sheet form these days, and finally the car has a tow bar that I want to remove, it is mounted to the bumper beam and can`t access the bolts without removing the pumper cover.

Please advise MANY THANKS, Reggie :icon_worthy:

Thermo 11-26-2009 12:37 PM

Reggie, as for the mirror, open up the door and remove the black plastic trim piece that runs on the inside of the door. IT runs from the triangle piece where the mirror is up and over the window. From there, you will see a single nut. This holds the mirror in place. Undo and the mirror is now free. If I remember right, you can access the plug for the mirror at this point too. If not, you will need to remove the door panel (2 screws on the bottom, 1 screw inside the pocket near where your elbow would be if you were sitting in the car). From there, pull straight out towards you on the edges and the door panel comes off.

As for the front bumper cover, you will need a T-27 star attachment. Undo the bolts on the underside holding the plastic trim piece between the bumper cover and the frame (should be like 10 bolts). Slide the trim piece out of the way. Undo the 2 screws in each fender well holding the wheel well liner to the bumper cover. Now, undo the bolt near each headlight. Finally, on the inside of the bumper cover between the side marker light and wheel well, there is a 10 mm bolt on each side that needs to be removed. From here, the bumper cover can be pulled out and set down on the ground. Beware, wires are attached to the bumper cover, so, you can't pull on it too hard.

As for the rear, you have a bolt on each side between the marker light and the wheel well liner that needs to be removed. Then you will need to remove the 4 bolts on the top edge of the bumper cover. It seems that there are more bolts, but don't recall where they are. From there, you can pull out on the bumper cover and rest it on the ground. Again, there are wires attached to this, so, be careful on how far you pull the cover away from the car.

Please note that there are tabs on the side that the bumper covers side into (both front and back). So, it is best to grab the cover at the top corner and then pull it out to the side first, undoing the tabs and then sliding the corner off of the car. It is also advisable to put a blanket or some towels on the ground to let the bumper cover rest on as you work on the car.

reggie 11-27-2009 11:10 PM

Many many thanks Chris for your detailed instructions, just need a dry day to do it,
Your a star mate, Reggie

Thermo 11-28-2009 05:56 AM

Reggie, the bolts for the bumpers are pretty out in the open other than the single bolt on each corner hidden inside the bumper cover (as mentioned in my previous post). What I find helpful is having a socket wrench with a short handle. As you will find out, there isn't a lot of room where this bolt is to have your hand and a full size wrench there. I find it easier to simply stick my hand straight up to access the bolt (trick, remove the marker light there and use that hold to help guide your hand). Some people can see that way, some can't. You can also try sliding the wheel well liner out of the way and sliding your hand in from the side, right next to the bolt. But, this way tends to scrape/cut your hand pretty good and some people don't like the pain.

If you need anything more, just ask.

reggie 11-29-2009 05:49 AM

OK Chris, thanks again, it`s just finding the time and having the right weather conditions to attempt all this.:icon_google:
Regards, Reggie