Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   Exterior (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/)
-   -   Window Tint/ Would You do it Again? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/exterior-22/window-tint-would-you-do-again-15738/)

roverlr3 05-03-2009 12:27 PM

Window Tint/ Would You do it Again?

This question is for all who have installed window tint themselves or had it done professionally. If you had a new car, would you do it again?
I have had it on several cars I have owned in the past, and to be honest I was a bit disappointed in the final results. Small air bubbles, fading and hazy after a few years, (even by using only non ammonia cleaners), major reflection in the cockpit during night-time driving. Some of my cars I did install it myself, others were done at a reputable shop locally. I most generally looked for a quality tint shop using 3M products, as I feel it is a very good product (usually a lifetime warranty).
The exterior look tint gives certain cars is very nice, and I think my XJ would look sharp with it installed. So if others would give me your opinion on tinting your own ride and if you would do it again it may be helpful.
Thanks Jeff

Cadillac 05-03-2009 01:38 PM

I would never have it done regardless of brand . As you pointed out , I was quite disappointed at the results too .
So, you may also leave it as it is .Factory tinted windows should be the way to go

sanand911 05-03-2009 03:27 PM

I have had in previous cars and currently got my XJ tinted (back & rear side) and absolutely love it. I would tint fronts too but 'coz it's illegal in NJ and secondly it does get dark in winters here, I didn't push for it. It adds privacy, keeps it cooler & if you have a kid it is a boon during watching TV, playing games & obiously sleeping. I currently have 20%.
Ideally dark factory tints would be best like on my Ford Flex.
________
buy vapor genie

bmw745ion19s 05-03-2009 04:58 PM

Id never tint a car, unless it came from the factory as such, IE rear windows tinted on SUV like your land rover if it has them.

It also ruins the lines on the car to me. But some people like it, whatever makes you happy do it :)

From talking to you it sounds like your a perfectionist so I dont think you will be happy in the end no matter who does it.

bottom line: DONT DO IT JEFF!

JimC64 05-03-2009 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 182365

Hey rover....I had the rears done on my A6 and initiall loved them, still do to a degree.
Gotta say though that they look great from a distance and even fairly close up......but, I'm a bit of a perfectionist too and there are a few small air bubbles here n there that really bug me, big time.
Ideally I'd say look for an axisting vehicle with factory tints ifyou're looking to buy a new vehicle....If an existing vehicle only you can make that choice. As for me? Unsure whether I'd do it again or not

roverlr3 05-03-2009 08:28 PM

I tend to agree with most of the replies. And yes Erik the Rover has a "privacy" tint from the factory (I believe its a laminate between the glass) that works very well. No haze, or scratches, and very limited reflection at night. More importantly no annoying air bubbles. I was considering it, however after everyones input I will quit entertaining the idea. Thanks Jim, Cadillac, Erik, and Sanand911

mosesbotbol 05-04-2009 10:07 AM

I only like the metallic "platinum" tints, as at many angles, the car does not look tinted at all, does not darken from the inside, and has a sort of OEM look to it. That being said, it does not work on cars with NAV, so I did not want to chance it on my VDP.

Regular tint does not do much for me.

SABJag 05-04-2009 10:49 AM

I just got my 2005 XJ VDP tinted with 35% ceramic film verses the metal film. This gets around the GPS concerns. The installer did an excellent job! I've had 5 other cars done by this vendor. I live in Houston, so tint is a priority! I would do it again without a second thought.

xjrpilot 05-04-2009 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SABJag (Post 112249)
I just got my 2005 XJ VDP tinted with 35% ceramic film verses the metal film. This gets around the GPS concerns. The installer did an excellent job! I've had 5 other cars done by this vendor. I live in Houston, so tint is a priority! I would do it again without a second thought.

Having three x300/x308's all in black or metallic black

Totally agree. Plus on a black, metallic black, or other dark colors...tinted windows just make the car look sleeker...to me. makes a LWB car almost seem like a limo...

Not to mention less wear on the interior from sunlight, and it is usually cooler to enter on a hot day..

Plus seems like people tend to notice these cars on the road, and seem to always turn to look who's driving...I appreciate the lil extra "modesty" tinted windows bring me.

I always figured that people who drove these cars WITH OUT tinted windows wanted to make SURE that people saw them. LOL

Flash Gprdon 05-04-2009 05:54 PM

I love the look of tinted windows(if applied right) However my only concern is when you have a heavy rain,and drive on rural roads(no street lites)it is next to impossible to see where you are going.

roverlr3 05-04-2009 07:24 PM

SABjag, Can you post some pics of the 35% ceramic film, or do you have any in an album on the forum?
Jeff

SABJag 05-05-2009 10:08 AM

roverlr3,
I don't have any pictures posted, but I'll make them available ASAP. Stay tuned!

whiteSTR 05-05-2009 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tint every car I own that was made after 1985 unless its a pickup.. Old cars look terrible with tint, I would never do it. But on newer cars, tint actually enhances the look of them a lot of times.. Like on the R trims that have all black trim instead of chrome. On the STR black tint makes all three side windows look like one large window.

Attachment 182357

I feel like it did wonders for my car. Since I'm one of the younger guys on here, you older guys remember the things you used to do in your car when you were young.. Lol it keeps me out of more trouble than it gets me into. Had it metered by a cop at 1.5% and wasn't even written a ticket. When we installed it, we were aiming for 5% on the side windows and back window and 50% on the windshield. Eric

joycesjag 05-05-2009 01:25 PM

Recently after purchasing a 4 year old S originally from Florida, with tint, I believe that it saved the interior from the sun. I must admit our ivory interior looks as nice as when it rolled out of the factory!

roverlr3 05-05-2009 06:02 PM

whiteSTR, I agree, your ride looks great with the tint. I'm just not sure about letting some mutt attempt to do a tint install on my car. If I do get it done, I'll get referrals from customers. I'll keep an eye on this thread for awhile and see what transpires. And by the way, I'll bet the things you "younger guys" are into today, mirror in many ways the things us "old guys" were.... into back in the day, nice cars, good music on great stereos, the ladies, and road trips. The other stuff I'll leave to your imagination, after all it was the early 70s. Now to really date myself, I've likely had my drivers license longer than you been alive....LOL.
Jeff

JimC64 05-05-2009 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 182350

Lol.....STR...Roverlr3 kinda took the words right outta my mouth but probly put it better.....us oldies:eek:...lol
We were doing years ago what the younger crowd try to emulate today:D

Your car looks great btw, a real credit to you and the Limo style tint works well cos of the contrast with the white bodywork. A little too dark for my liking but I can appreciate the good clean looking lines and the contrast you young whippersnapper.....lol

whiteSTR 05-06-2009 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by roverlr3 (Post 112607)
whiteSTR, I'll bet the things you "younger guys" are into today, mirror in many ways the things us "old guys" were.... into back in the day, nice cars, good music on great stereos, the ladies, and road trips. The other stuff I'll leave to your imagination, after all it was the early 70s.
Jeff

Haha thanks Jim and Jeff.. I think the tint is too dark as well, but my life is kind of lived by the philosophy "if its worth doing.. then its worth overdoing..." Jeff was dead on when he summed up my priorities:

Cars (Jags, Mopars, and Italian exotics)
Money (I never like to have too much, just enough)
Girls (You can never have too many of these)
Parties ( I'm just recovering from my Cinco de Mayo tequila rager last night)
Great Music ( AC/DC, Van Halen, Clapton, Ataris, Dick Dale, Skynyrd, The Eagles, Chicago, etc.. are some of my favorites)
and tons of Unforgettable Memories (that I can't remember)

LOL now can anyone gues my age?
Eric

bmw745ion19s 05-06-2009 11:06 PM

sh*t Eric you cant be from MIA and forget ricky ross, esp since you got that white on white :P

and yeah you have some of the darkest tint ive seen lol

but you know i gotta fishbowl it!

-Erik

wazari 05-07-2009 10:18 AM

I've never had issues with air bubbles, etc. A good professional installation should avoid all these issues. I like the tint as it offers UV protection and enhances the looks. If you notice most of car print ads, they have their windows tinted to give it a sleeker, uncluttered look.

As a sidenote, I had a tree branch break from high winds and crash into the rear side glass. The side window shattered like buckshot but the tint prevented it from flying everywhere into the car. I can see where it can save injuries from happening to passengers in this type of situation.

kthrash 05-08-2009 03:12 PM

I just had my XJR Tinted yesterday, 30% LLumar tint. Looks awesome to me with the Charcoal exterior.