F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

C-x17

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Default C-x17

Anyone see this? I think it's a very attractive ride. I'm very interested. I want one.

Jaguar says C-X17 production version won't be billed as an SUV

Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Anyone see this? I think it's a very attractive ride. I'm very interested. I want one. Jaguar says C-X17 production version won't be billed as an SUV
Yes I like it. May be a nice car for my fiancé.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Anyone see this? I think it's a very attractive ride. I'm very interested. I want one.

Meh . . . not a fan. I know every car company now feels the need to have an SUV or whatever, the proper "it's not an SUV" term is, but it's an SUV. I'd never consider it, and I think JLR should leave vehicles like this to LR and stick to actual cars.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

I think a sportscar & an SUV in your stable is a good combo. And both Jags...
It's good looking and unique.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer Jeeps, and I'm very fond of my Wrangler. Luxury SUVs never made any sense to me, because I do actually go off-road, and sometimes plow through very large amounts of snow.

Moreover, LR already has a huge following in the luxury SUV community. It seems like a confused attempt, which will cannibalize the other side of the JLR business a la GM's mistakes of the past in selling the same cars under multiple brand names.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-08-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Meh . . . not a fan. I know every car company now feels the need to have an SUV or whatever, the proper "it's not an SUV" term is, but it's an SUV. I'd never consider it, and I think JLR should leave vehicles like this to LR and stick to actual cars.
It looks nice but I must agree.
What's next a Ferrari pick up?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:17 PM

I don't agree. I think this car can take on the Porsche Cayenne. No Range Rover can do that because they are too tall to support their off road credentials. This can be more aerodynamic, more tuned for road performance and also lighter than a Range Rover sport.

JLR is on a roll.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

So, what else is new? We don't agree on much of anything except perhaps we like F-Types.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

As the owner of a brand new XJ-6 in 1988 I was invited to be a part of a Jaguar focus group about just this; a Jaguar "SUV". I said no back then - my words were likely closer to "hell no" - and I stand pat (i.e. same answer) in late 2014!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this. It'll be on the small side, I want to downsize from my XF, originally I was thinking of the XE but this will be a bit more practical. As long as I can get the same powertrain that's in my XF I'll be happy--I don't see them messing up the styling.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Like any business, Jaguar is in it to make money and these types of vehicles have become very popular. Can you really blame them for wanting to enter the market? Jaguar isn't a big seller, this will help cars like the F-Type stay in existence.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose you can't blame them because it has been a successful formula for others, but how much room is left in this market? I got fed up with, and abandoned, BMW for going too far in the bland direction, and was only attracted to Jaguar because they did something really different with the F-Type. This looks like a move toward dilution of the brand just like everyone else.

I still think that they should leave stuff like this to Land Rover.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 PM

Isn't the Evoque a bit of this dilution you speak of? Anyway, I don't think it'll automatically make them just focused on the cash it will bring in. I know that it's JLR but the two offer distinctly different styles and attributes, I'm doubtful that once this launches I'll be asking myself "why not just get an Evoque?"

Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Isn't the Evoque a bit of this dilution you speak of? Anyway, I don't think it'll automatically make them just focused on the cash it will bring in. I know that it's JLR but the two offer distinctly different styles and attributes, I'm doubtful that once this launches I'll be asking myself "why not just get an Evoque?"
Not at all, because it is part of the Land Rover brand. This likely will cannibalize Evoque sales though, which is all part of the JLR bottom line. That was precisely my point earlier in this thread.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 PM

Not at all, because it is part of the Land Rover brand. This likely will cannibalize Evoque sales though, which is all part of the JLR bottom line. That was precisely my point earlier in this thread.
I would imagine this is sized in between Evoque and RRS.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 AM

But it's badged as a Land Rover Range Rover. Anyway, you could also argue that Jaguar diluted the brand when they made the X-Type. For any matter I don't see this vehicle taking away sales from the Evoque. Like I said I know it's JLR but the two, aside from powertrains couldn't be more different.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Our other car is a Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE (known as the LR2 in the US) and it's basically my wife's car, except for weekends.

I tried to get her into a Supercharged Range Rover Sport; complained it was too big.

Put forward the Evoque as a plan B; she didn't like the styling at all.

The LR2 was a compromise in that she didn't mind the styling, and it was nice to drive, comfy, good commanding driving position, "good" badge, and so on.

Once she saw the C-X17 it was a case of "I have to have one of these" because to her, the Jaguar brand is much more appealing than Land Rover or Range Rover. And the styling of the C-X17 being in the family of the XF, XJ, and now the XE, it's more appealing to her because it's a Jag.

I love Range Rovers, and Land Rovers, the ultimate in luxury combined with real off-road capability, but it's unfortunate that here in Sydney they have a certain stigma attached to them because of who you see driving them, and sadly it's not celebrities like in the UK with the footballers wives, or in the US with the Kardashians...

I think the Jag version will miss a lot of that "crowd" just because of the badge. Which is a good thing IMHO...

Old 12-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting, Cambo. I don't perceive any stigma associated with the LR brand in the U.S. They are selling extremely well among the non-celebrity, relatively affluent demographic. In fact, my JLR dealer mentioned to be that they sell 5 LRs for every Jaguar moved. Evoques are everywhere. I'm pretty sure this vehicle will carve off some of that ratio, but my sense is that it won't much increase overall JLR sales much in the U.S.

They are crawling all over the affluent burbs of Washington, DC, and probably 1 out of 1000 ever leaves a hard-surfaced road.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Land Rover outsells Jaguar by probably 10:1 here. The Evoque is a very strong seller, and you see them regularly out & about. Yesterday I was waiting at a traffic light and there were three Evoques sitting in the queue, but I can go for days without seeing another Jag on the road.

Range Rover's used to be be bought by wealthy enthusiasts, people who liked the vehicles for what they are; luxurious tanks that were fast and just as good on-road as off-road. Now they are a status symbol.

My own gauge for measuring a vehicles popularity is the availability of cheap, nasty (often ugly) oversized wheels in the aftermarket, and how many of these vehicles you see out on the road running these wheels. Sadly Range Rover scores very highly on this scale.

The irony is that these cheap wheels are very poorly made and are nowhere near as strong as the OEM wheels; LR makes their alloy wheels incredibly tough to handle the stress of off-roading. The cheap knock-offs can barely handle a pot hole without shattering...

Owners buy these wheels because they want to impress, the same reason why they bought the vehicle... they don't care about what the vehicle can actually do, it's all about the superficial image, the look, those words spelt out across the bonnet & boot.

There's one example of the stigma...

About a year back my XJR was parked next to a Range Rover Sport in a shopping mall, I noticed it had Brembo's on the front so was checking it out when the owner came along, I asked her if it was the Supercharged model, she said "I don't know, I just drive it"...

Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

That's funny. In the U.S., we're talking a similar demographic to the female owner you spoke to. They are status symbols and a favored vehicle of upper middle class DINK and DISK couples (double incomes with no or single kid). However, I don't often see them pimped out with cheap 3rd-world wheels. They tend to remain stock here unless they are 6-10 years old.

But, that's exactly the same demographic this Jaguar would appeal to.

Quick Reply: C-x17