F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

F-Pace: Adaptive Suspension worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Pace: Adaptive Suspension worth it?

Hello, new member. I posted in the new member section for background info.

I'm looking to get a 2017 Premium or Prestige 35t. I can't stand 4 cylinder engines so have to make a quick decision since in 2018 there seems to be limited availability of the V6 in non "S" trim. I really can't afford a 35t S that will option out at over $65K.

My thoughts are to go for a '17 Premium with cold weather package and vision package, or a '17 Prestige with the adaptive suspension option. Both of these will be very tough to find (maybe impossible for the Prestige) at current inventory levels, but my question to the forum is:

Is the adaptive suspension worth it?

Note I have over a hundred hours with skip barber. I like tight suspensions that can turn in quickly and use the throttle to modulate the back around. The Prestige 35t that I drove tonight (no active suspension) in dynamic mode felt SOFT as it tended to wallow into the apex of a turn. I will go back for a second test drive without the family, but the main reason that I was looking to get an F-Pace was the handling of a RWD biased mid-size SUV. I drove a used Cayenne GTS recently and I thought it sucked.

And yes if I do get an F-pace will jump on a Velocity AP tune, and get back to the "S" HP plus a bit more.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you like to drive very aggressively, maybe you should go for after market suspension options instead of the dynamic suspension option. I don't think any compact SUV factory suspension setup will please you. Check out this thread:

F-Pace Lowered - Jaguar F-Pace Forum

Last edited by The G Man; 07-17-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have adaptive suspension on F-type, it is likely the same system adapted to F-Pace. On F-type it works by adjusting internal dumping rate by opening and closing valves inside the shock absorber. This is 'passive' adaptive setup. Unlike Mercedes systems, based on airbags or hydraulics, that are active. This system can only adjust dumping rates, it cannot put energy into corrective action like an active system would. It also cannot raise or lower the car.

Overall, adjustable suspension makes F-type's otherwise firm suspension softer unless you turn on sports mode on. I imagine it will be tuned opposite for F-Pace, stiffening up otherwise cushy SUV ride. I like it quite a lot on a new car, but historically any kind of active suspension is problematic as cars get older.

Last edited by SinF; 07-19-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Also, why are you trying to turn SUV into a perfomance car? You will get better results by starting with a sedan or a roadster.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I am generally not a fan of adaptive suspensions and do not regret not getting one on XE.

Yes it is much lighter car but I am sure spring rates are adjusted for XE and F-Pace.

I would skip it. It will not make F-Pace much sportier (it is already quite sporty for SUV) and since you are on a budget I do not think It is worth it.

Also, that softness that you mention will actually come in handy when you drive aggressively on not so great roads. The suspension on XE and F-Pace are compliant and do have a quite a bit of roll and dive. However, once you set it up properly for an apex, suspension sets in well and holds its line.

I've driven XE on a variety of roads aggressively and the only downside of its standard suspension is when you go over crests at high speeds. The rebound is usually quite strong after compression and can upset the balance, especially if you are in mid-corner.
But that is probably true for 90% of cars with regular suspensions.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

XE3 is actually quite comparable to a F-type with adjustable suspension in terms of comfort in everyday driving. I had XE loaner and it only slightly softer than my car in comfort mode. I have not taken XE to the track, so can't comment on weight transfer or rebound. However, higher and heavier car - more pronounced it would be, and F-Pace is both higher and heavier than XE.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

I have a fully loaded up XE R-Sport and I can tell you that the only thing I tuen off is the suspenion in the config pages. I fell that it trys to correct me to much by taking the feel away from the road. I cant believe it took me this long to turn it off and it now gives me more feeling when I drive it extremely spirited. I take every off ramp, circle, zig zag I see super hard especially since I have the 20" propellers with sticky tires. My 19" Venoms just cant net the same results the 20"s do.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should simply drive a 35t or even a 25t with the active suspension and decide for yourself if you think it is worth it. It's only a $1000 option. I just bought a 35t myself and frankly I think you should jump on the engine before it's no longer available. If the adaptive suspension is available, great. If not, then spend the extra $1000 on suspension mods.

I passed on several of the options I would have wanted because I wanted that 340HP engine more than something like the Tech Package (which is sweet). However that's my decision and my parameters are different from yours. Go drive one with the adaptive package. Look at the cost of suspension mods that might get you to a similar performance point. If mods are near $1000 then you should try to get the adaptive package if you can so you don't have to bother with potential warranty issues.

happy shopping.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Between the two models look for a Prstige and skip the Premium. I’ve seen so many people disappointed that the Premium didn’t come with keyless entry and other basic luxury features that are table stakes on other brands.