F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Self-driving feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Self-driving feature

I recently had a fully loaded 2019 F-Pace S as a service loaner and it had a self-driving feature. I am not sure what exact branding/name but this feature combine lane keeping assists, radar cruise control and able to drive, steer, and brake the car.

Overall, it does a decent job of keeping car in traffic. It keeps the car in the lane, maintains distance from the car upfront, and maintains speeds up to limit you set. This feature works well in stop-and-go traffic.

At speed, it mostly works. I found couple instances where a wide lane and gradual highway turn resulted in car ping-ponging within its lane and I felt I had to take over (so other people in traffic wouldn't think I am drunk-driving).

However, this system has a very substantial flaw - "keep your arms on a steering wheel" system,. it is very prone to false positives. I would this warning about every 5 minutes (while having hands on the steering wheel) while the car is driving straight. After some experimentation I found that it works by detecting resistance to steering inputs, which is not necessary during straight line driving. So unless you actively do this -> the car decides you don't have your hands on the steering wheel and starts beeping at you. To prevent it from beeping at me (while having BOTH hands on the steering wheel) I had to constantly wiggle steering wheel in what approximates Parkinsons shakes. This alone make this system not worth it, despite working well-enough in most circumstances.

Last edited by GGG; 08-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

This is all about safety and covering their ***. Many people would think its a fully autonomous vehicle if the vehicle didnt say this. Mercedes does the same thing.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
...I had to constantly wiggle steering wheel in what approximates Parkinsons shakes. This alone make this system not worth it, despite working well-enough in most circumstances...
Unless your loaner was especially sensitive, the Parkinson's shake analogy is a bit exaggerated. My ownership experience with these driver assist features on a 2017 F-Pace FE has been really positive and to me well worth it. Combined, they make for very enjoyable long hauls. And being reminded that I'm the one driving is hardly a hardship while behind the wheel. Furthermore, you can always quickly turn LKA off/on if you're on an extended arrow straight stretch of road if the reminders start to grate.

Last edited by RoonieQ; 08-10-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Tell me a scenario where anyone would NEED to turn on 'self-driving' in their car. I mean, if I can't drive then I'll call Uber. I'm sick of companies (car, smartphone, etc.) telling me what I want or need.