F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Trying to buy an F-Pace/F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Trying to buy an F-Pace/F-Type?

I just went back through a few threads to see if there were any similar complaints and found none, so maybe I am alone or weird or both? Just took my wife to local Jag dealer to replace Cad SRX with F-Pace. I had been researching, liked what I had seen, thought it would be a good replacement. Since she would be primary driver, I let her do driving with salesman up front I sat in the rear(safer also). Also got to observe the interior. What I saw was an eye opener. The seams on the leather appeared to be single sewn rather than double as are most auto interiors. Had I been placed inside this car blindfolded I would have thought I was in a Volkswagen! Not to downgrade your F-Paces, but I really expected more from the interiors of a $55-65K vehicles. I realize this is a performance car, and most will drive it not ride in the back, but it does have 4 drs. Had the dealer offered a decent price, I would have made a deal, but even though this was the last 2-3 days of the month, and he had said that he was pushing for his 'bonus', he gave me a 'no discount price' that was non negotiable. After a a short, polite discussion we drove up the road and bought another Cadillac XT-5. Not as exciting to drive for her, but much nicer interior. I will try again to buy an F-type from this dealer, but there are 4-5 other Jag dealers in the area. The interior of the F-Type has what I think should be in this price car. Maybe I am weird.......

Old 03-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I think you should wait to test drive the new Range Rover Velar -- same F-Pace chasis, 0-60 time, but much nicer posh interior, and I like the Range Rover exterior better too. Jag design in general is more curvy and feminine and maybe perfect for your wife.

I used to dig the F-Pace until Velar came out.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry but XT-5 and F-Pace are not similar vehicles.

Looks like you were looking for small crossover with a little bit of "upscale" feel. That is XT-5.

F-Pace is a true SUV with a bold S for sport in it. I think both XE and F-Pace favor sporty, dynamic characteristics over the typical "luxury" associated with Jaguar. I am not sure which version you drove but I do agree that the base models don't have highest quality seats/seams and materials inside, however that can be fixed with an upgraded leather interior.

The following users liked this post:
babyjag91 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend you visit Jaguar Naples, since you are in SW FL. I bought my F-Pace from them last week. I am completely happy with all the folks I have met there. Ask for Frank Orsini or Austin Bending.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a normal complaint I've heard from others. Same thing for the XE. But as Demetre Gvaramia said, you can't cross shop an F-PACE with a Caddy. It's more in the class with the Macan and GLC43. Cars that put the SPORT in Sport Utility Vehicle. You give up the posh interior for what is, in my opinion along with the Macan, the best in it's class when it comes to driving and performance.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ExtinctBird
I recommend you visit Jaguar Naples, since you are in SW FL. I bought my F-Pace from them last week. I am completely happy with all the folks I have met there. Ask for Frank Orsini or Austin Bending.
Thanks for that info and those names. I may be heading down there soon. and I will look for them. I went to Ft. Myers first due to proximity, but they were not too interested in selling except at list price. I will have to see what prices are available for cars that have been on the lot for a while.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
Sorry but XT-5 and F-Pace are not similar vehicles.

Looks like you were looking for small crossover with a little bit of "upscale" feel. That is XT-5.

F-Pace is a true SUV with a bold S for sport in it. I think both XE and F-Pace favor sporty, dynamic characteristics over the typical "luxury" associated with Jaguar. I am not sure which version you drove but I do agree that the base models don't have highest quality seats/seams and materials inside, however that can be fixed with an upgraded leather interior.
Yes, I realize that they are two different vehicles, but I was just surprised that for the amount being charged, the quality of the workmanship would be what I considered lacking. I had looked at a comparable LandRover and was impressed. The F-Pace was not, even in an more upscale diesel demonstrator that we considered. As I said, we would have even considered the cars had the dealer made a reasonable offer, but even though he was pushing for a month end bonus he only offered list price. Maybe I am being too optimistic in my purchasing plans. Cadillac was discounted 5%.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Yes, I realize that they are two different vehicles, but I was just surprised that for the amount being charged, the quality of the workmanship would be what I considered lacking. I had looked at a comparable LandRover and was impressed. The F-Pace was not, even in an more upscale diesel demonstrator that we considered. As I said, we would have even considered the cars had the dealer made a reasonable offer, but even though he was pushing for a month end bonus he only offered list price. Maybe I am being too optimistic in my purchasing plans. Cadillac was discounted 5%.
I will say that the F-Pace had it's early production problems, however the new Mfg. models are climbing out of it in a good way. I have both vehicles and am happy with all of it, the responsiveness to my needs, the updates etc. etc. I think that sometimes we over dramatize things because as forum members, we really analyze and care for our cars "as we should". I am one of those type of folks also. However in working with Jaguar, I have resolved most if not all of my problems to a thorough brand satisfaction.

If it is the look of the cars, that is very subjective of course. I think both the F-Type and F-Pace look unbelievable. In fact they look awesome. Somebody talked about the curves of the F-Pace, and I can't say they are right or wrong. I don't see it being too "feminine" and in fact mine is blacked out and looks like a beast as a result. The F-Type looks like an awesome sports car as intended, and quite different in with top down. I actually also think the F-Type coupe is the sexiest of them all, but I wanted a sport convertible for the Mrs. and I.

In summary, I could have gone to, and studied all that was out there, and nothing turned my head, and continues to do so like the F-Type and F-Pace. FYI, and hope this helps. The quality issues are well on the way to resolution in production where they belonged all along.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, the lines are superb, that is I why I am looking at an F-Type coup, and had taken my wife to look at the F-Pace. Loved the lines, just was disappointed in the inside finish. It seemed that Jag had put all the money into the outside, and the chassis, then left the rear passengers to hang on as best they could. O.K. if you never have anyone with you, but then, why buy an SUV? We do occasionally go out with friends and like to show off the car from other than the outside.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

We had an SRX loaner for a week and then test drove an F-Pace at an event and my wife and I both agreed we would rather have the SRX. I love our XF interior with the portfolio package. Hopefully they will come out with a similar interior upgrade in the near future because like you we are disappointed with the current interiors. XJL and F-type are still on my dream list but I wouldn't buy anything else in the current Jaguar lineup. Enjoy the XT5!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

So far she likes the XT-5. I am happy with what I have seen. I only get to drive it when it needs gas(?). Guess I will have to get the F-Type, but then that was the plan all along. It has the interior that I would expect from Jag.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM
fcb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm good with the seat construction. I need more durability than plushness, bc I've got a car seat in the back, hence the need for an SUV. Overall I like the clean interior and fell like its sportier intentionally.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Since she would be primary driver, I let her do driving with salesman up front I sat in the rear(safer also). Also got to observe the interior. What I saw was an eye opener. The seams on the leather appeared to be single sewn rather than double as are most auto interiors. Had I been placed inside this car blindfolded I would have thought I was in a Volkswagen!
I'm curious what level model your rear seat experience happened in. There are multiple models and variations within them. The base MSRP is at $42K with the nameless interior, at the top is the "Portfolio" model with "Windsor Leather" at $63K (all V6 prices with no additional options), in the middle is the "Prestige" model with "Grained Leather" at $53K. The "S" with all four available packages runs over $71K. I haven't gone to go look at F-Paces yet, but hopefully somewhere in all the choices is a not-VAG interior.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

At this point it is all moot as I purchased a Cadillac XT-5. Much better interior over all. Not the performance of the F-Pace, but that was not the overall plan. The first F-Pace we looked at had a bottom line price of $63K. We then looked at a 'Demo' that was available at a slightly reduced price with a list price of $73K. Both had similar rear stitching in the rear seating area. Maybe I am being too picky, but I was just expecting more from an SUV of this caliber. I later bought an F-Type, and could not be happier with the interior or any of the other parts of the vehicle. It is exactly what I would expect from Jaguar. The F-Pace was just a disappointment.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Biggest gripe imo is the F-Pace doesn't have Android Auto. And backup camera and sensors should be available on all models too. I love the F-Pace for its look and performance, and it's rwd biased, can torque steer that beast.