Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16-17 Type R advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16-17 Type R advice...

Hello,

I'm new here and have decided to look into possibly buying a 2016 or 2017 Type R.

I've searched far and wide on reliability/known issues/what I should look for and wanted to get any input from forum members with experience.

I've never owned Jag before but have read reliability has greatly improved.

Any advice would help.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The F-Type seems to be somewhat reliable. Most quality related issues seem to be addressed while the car is under warranty. However, consumer reports rates jaguar reliability as second only to the Fiat as having the worst. Jag reliability has been improving over the years, but apparently not as fast as any of the other Marques. So, beware. You have to love the car for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The F-Type seems to be somewhat reliable. Most quality related issues seem to be addressed while the car is under warranty. However, consumer reports rates jaguar reliability as second only to the Fiat as having the worst. Jag reliability has been improving over the years, but apparently not as fast as any of the other Marques. So, beware. You have to love the car for what it is, not for what you want it to be.
Thanks, I have read that the F-type seems okay reliability wise vs other brands (R8, AMG GT, BMW M etc)

I'm just looking for specific issues to be on the look out for, transmission, engine and such.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by .2pdk
Thanks, I have read that the F-type seems okay reliability wise vs other brands (R8, AMG GT, BMW M etc)

I'm just looking for specific issues to be on the look out for, transmission, engine and such.
issues are usually electronics in the F-type. For example drained battery, infotainment system doing weird stuff etc.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by vika01

issues are usually electronics in the F-type. For example drained battery, infotainment system doing weird stuff etc.
Thanks, engine/transmission fairly reliable?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks, engine/transmission fairly reliable?
yes engine and transmission are good

Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by vika01

yes engine and transmission are good
Engine is good but not perfect, for example the coolant system has lots of plastic pipes and tubes that can cause problems as the car gets a bit older, and it is very important that the correct spec engine oil filled to the correct level has been used at all times.
The gearbox however is one of if not the best autos on the planet and completely reliable - the ZF 8HP70.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Well, first off it would be nice if you disclosed your location.

The first couple of years had some issues, and JLR continues to play catch-uo in the tech area, but at the end of the day it is the best looking production car in the world. The content has improved noticeably over the years. The performance is awesome. And people will think well of you as opposed to what they think of people who drive certain German cars. The pride and satisfaction of ownership is significant. As Dr. Unhinged said, "You have to love the car for what it is, not for what you want it to be." If its right for you, you will know it.

The following users liked this post:
scm (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I had an oxygen sensor replaced (which car company hasn't had the this?); a corroded grounding wire repaired, and buzzing speakers fixed via a technical service bulleting. From 16 on USA cars have a 5 year warranty that includes maintenance items (oil changes, regular service, etc.). Some forum members have had their differentials replaced. A few have had engine failure due to not monitoring oil. I'd still buy the car, if I could go back and do it over.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Suaro
Well, first off it would be nice if you disclosed your location.

The first couple of years had some issues, and JLR continues to play catch-uo in the tech area, but at the end of the day it is the best looking production car in the world. The content has improved noticeably over the years. The performance is awesome. And people will think well of you as opposed to what they think of people who drive certain German cars. The pride and satisfaction of ownership is significant. As Dr. Unhinged said, "You have to love the car for what it is, not for what you want it to be." If its right for you, you will know it.
Thanks, I'm in the Toronto area but won't be driving it in snow.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
A few have had engine failure due to not monitoring oil. I'd still buy the car, if I could go back and do it over.
I don't understand, they'd let the oil run too low?

Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

I don't understand, they'd let the oil run too low?
Yep.
Like most modern Jags the F-Type doesn't have a dipstick, instead you check the oil level via a dash readout that you have to press some buttons to access (ie there is no oil level gauge as such). Some owners are too lazy or ignorant or stupid to regularly check the oil level, next thing you know the oil level has dropped below a critical level and boom goes the engine! On the few reported cases of this happening most were after-market tuned engines and to the best of my knowledge not one of the owners ever came back with a definitive cause of the oil loss.

jaguny (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep.
Like most modern Jags the F-Type doesn't have a dipstick, instead you check the oil level via a dash readout that you have to press some buttons to access (ie there is no oil level gauge as such). Some owners are too lazy or ignorant or stupid to regularly check the oil level, next thing you know the oil level has dropped below a critical level and boom goes the engine! On the few reported cases of this happening most were after-market tuned engines and to the best of my knowledge not one of the owners ever came back with a definitive cause of the oil loss.
Holy crap.

Can the oil level dash readout be programed to stay on by default?

Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Holy crap.

Can the oil level dash readout be programed to stay on by default?
Doubtful, but don't let this scare you. A weekly or some regular interval glance at oil level will keep you safe. It's not like you will lose a quart a day or something, to my knowledge those that had problems rarely/never checked their oil level.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Doubtful, but don't let this scare you. A weekly or some regular interval glance at oil level will keep you safe. It's not like you will lose a quart a day or something, to my knowledge those that had problems rarely/never checked their oil level.
How about oil temp readout?

Old 03-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

How about oil temp readout?
Nup.
Unless you use Torque Pro on your phone and get the custom PIDs posted by Cambo, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...p-more-213503/
You have to remember that for the last 40 or so years Jags have been marketed at owners rather than drivers, people who leave all the yucky plebian mechanical stuff to "my man James" and rarely if ever open the bonnet/hood, so pretty much zero gauges other than speedo, tacho and fuel, and that includes the F-Type. At least the F-Type has an engine coolant temperature gauge (albeit just cold to hot), my previous XFS and XFR didn't even have that!

Old 03-07-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Nup.
Unless you use Torque Pro on your phone and get the custom PIDs posted by Cambo, see here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...p-more-213503/
You have to remember that for the last 40 or so years Jags have been marketed at owners rather than drivers, people who leave all the yucky plebian mechanical stuff to "my man James" and rarely if ever open the bonnet/hood, so pretty much zero gauges other than speedo, tacho and fuel, and that includes the F-Type. At least the F-Type has an engine coolant temperature gauge (albeit just cold to hot), my previous XFS and XFR didn't even have that!
Will it prompt you when oil level needs topping up?

Coming from Porsche and BMW M this seems odd...

Old 03-07-2019, 07:13 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Will it prompt you when oil level needs topping up?

Coming from Porsche and BMW M this seems odd...
Rather oddly considering it will warn of low fuel level, tyre pressure, screen wash, coolant and brake fluid levels it doesn't automatically warn if low oil level.

As others have said a few clicks on menu on steering wheel before you start engine say once per week or after engine has been run (8 minute delay)

Will show oil level and add comment of ok, over filled or under filled and advise on amount to add when needed.

If you can get into a routine of checking tyre pressure and oil level once per week/ month depending on usage you won't have any problems.

Service interval including oil change is recommended as annually or 16,000 miles whichever first

Old 03-07-2019, 08:11 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

My recollection of problems reported here are:

Diff. failure (only a few)
Coolant leakage (only a few)
Speaker buzzing / rattling (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem for most.
Loss of exhaust flatulence (only a few) - Caused by TSB and subsequently solved for most with another TSB
Issues with vert top latching (very few)
Center vent failing to raise / lower (only a few)
Clutch slippage on V6 (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem.
Slow fuel filling (common) - TSB issued that seems to have solved the problem for most.
Excessive rear tire wear (mostly on 2WD versions )
Inability to remove stupid looking grin on owners (common)

jaguny (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Overall, I've had far less problems with my F-Type than previously owned BMW's, Audi's and Toyota's. However, I will say that the F-Type gets driven far less than those vehicles so it's not entirely apples to apples.

At the end of the day, it's a manufactured car. Sometimes there are lemons that come off the line, but for the most part just do the normal maintenance and it will be fine. I will also add that maintenance is cheaper than owning a BMW M car.

Quick Reply: 16-17 Type R advice...