Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   2014 V6 Base DEAD Engine (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/2014-v6-base-dead-engine-212557/)

Arash 01-07-2019 06:32 AM

2014 V6 Base DEAD Engine

Glad to fine this forum. This would be my first post here.
I have a 2014 V6 base model that is under warranty till March 2019.
The car has done 74,000km with the next service being due another 4,000km.
While driving I noticed a ticking sound from the engine. I pulled over and asked the agency to have the car picked up.

Long story short, the engine short block is damaged. They blamed the aftermarket exhaust and revoked the engine warranty.
Apparently the law here stipulates that any modification to be done is automatically in violation of the warranty.
I have tried to sort this out legally and haven't managed to be successful.
In the end they asked me if i wanted to open up the engine and have it fixed without any warranty given for which i refused.

I have took the car back from the engine and have handed it over to a jaguar/landrover garage.
After giving them the go ahead to open up the engine, they have come to a conclusion that the car was low on oil. For the servicing i am always on time and have never missed out. Over here the routine service is being done every 13,000km and i was only on 9,000km. What they have asked me to do is to change the short block and some other parts. I have got a quote for all the parts and they come around $18,000 which is quite very expensive.

I have noticed that on Jaguar F-type engine drawings there are certain parts that are not being sold separately but when you look at the complete short block with other shared vehicles then all parts are the same inside the short block. Now these parts for other vehicles are being sold separately which ideally I believe they can be a replacement?

I have few comments and questions and I would appreciate if you guys give your input.

1. Engine Short Block AJ812898 is being shared on the following Jaguars: F-Type, XJ, and XF. Now if the same short block is being used and all drawings are the same with the same part numbers then most likely the pistons, rings, connecting rods, and bearings should be the same?
I am asking as if you look at Engine parts for F-Type, you would see the parts in the graphics but the actual numbers are missing from the list while it’s to be found for XJ and XF.
They are telling me that in order to get the mentioned parts I would be needing to order a short block. Maybe Jaguar is hiding those parts in order for customers/insurance to fall through the same practice and have an actual short block ordered?

2. The garage has informed that all the mentioned above parts need to be replaced. While looking through for these there are some that come with grade 1, 2 and 3. Do these mean they are 0.25mm, 0.50mm, 0.75mm? I have been asked to get 0.50mm for the replacements whether new or used.

Jaggyx 01-07-2019 09:36 AM

Rather than trying to repair a damage engine, why not just pick up a whole unit from eBay and drop that in?

SinF 01-07-2019 09:39 AM

Sorry to hear about your trouble. There were reports of oil consumption leading to damaged engine - unfortunately F-type doesn't warn you about low oil condition despite having an electronic sensor that could be used for this purpose.

Aftermarket exhaust would not cause any issues with the engine, but engine tune might. Is your engine tuned? Is your warranty aftermarket or from Jaguar (CPO)? If your engine is not tuned, and warranty is from Jaguar - bypass dealer and reach to Jaguar directly. They have representative monitoring this subforum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ip-centre-101/

Brava 01-07-2019 09:48 AM

Would be possible to drop a V8 engine instead of the V6?

Jaggyx 01-07-2019 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brava (Post 2010442)

Possible, yes. Worth the time and effort, absolutely not. Just wiring the thing and getting all the software to work correctly would be incredibly time consuming.

Carbuff2 01-07-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brava (Post 2010442)

As he said, there are SO many things that are different...even with V6 engines of different years or trims.

Arash 01-07-2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx (Post 2010432)
Rather than trying to repair a damage engine, why not just pick up a whole unit from eBay and drop that in?

That's becuase I don't live in US. All the way in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Arash 01-07-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SinF (Post 2010433)
Sorry to hear about your trouble. There were reports of oil consumption leading to damaged engine - unfortunately F-type doesn't warn you about low oil condition despite having an electronic sensor that could be used for this purpose.

Aftermarket exhaust would not cause any issues with the engine, but engine tune might. Is your engine tuned? Is your warranty aftermarket or from Jaguar (CPO)? If your engine is not tuned, and warranty is from Jaguar - bypass dealer and reach to Jaguar directly. They have representative monitoring this subforum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...ip-centre-101/

The warranty is directly from Jaguar. They have claimed that Jaguar UK has refused the warranty. I haven't don't a single engine modification. Just the rear mufflers were professionally done from dual to quad.

ss23 01-07-2019 11:04 AM

Really sorry to hear about your misfortune. You really have to be careful about checking the engine oil in these cars.

​​​​​My friend has mentioned to tell you that Land Rover Sharjah would be able to sell you the same engine (used) for 20,000 dhs. That $18,000 dollar quote seems completely unreasonable.

Best of luck!

Brutal 01-07-2019 12:27 PM

Here's a thought. Jaguar does not know what is or is not on your car, it is strictly the dealer and you that knows. And the dealer will make way more money getting you to come out of pocket. I would as suggested contact jaguar directly. I doubt they even know and its just your dealer telling you that in cash rich dubai.

SinF 01-08-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Arash (Post 2010471)
The warranty is directly from Jaguar. I haven't don't a single engine modification.

You should get a new engine from Jaguar under warranty. Bypass your dealer and contact JLR directly.

Also get "denied warranty" in writing from your dealer, with a stated reason explicitly mentioned, so you can hold it over them in case they try to lie to you again. Aftermarket exhaust will only void warranty for exhaust-related items (i.e. catalytic converter going bad).

Originally Posted by Arash (Post 2010471)
I haven't don't a single engine modification.

This situation could be a bit more complex than what you did. Did you buy your car new or used? If used, dealer could have sold you a tuned car. JLR will deny engine warranty on any tuned car, and dealer would end up on the hook paying for a new engine after they CPO tuned car. So they might be lying to you because of that.

Arash 01-08-2019 08:21 AM

Complained was done directly to Jaguar. They have forwarded it to the Middle East headquarters to deal with it and they have the following reply

After reviewing your case, we would like to explain that the muffler modification made by the first owner will suspend your warranty on the vehicle power train regardless what is the root cause of the fault this is the terms and condition of the extend warranty policy. Please refer to the Total care handbook

Arash 01-08-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ss23 (Post 2010475)
Really sorry to hear about your misfortune. You really have to be careful about checking the engine oil in these cars.

​​​​​My friend has mentioned to tell you that Land Rover Sharjah would be able to sell you the same engine (used) for 20,000 dhs. That $18,000 dollar quote seems completely unreasonable.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your input. The same very person told me he was referring to the scrap yard engines. Those guys are selling used with installation and 1 month warranty for AED 35,000 ($9590) .

The agency doesn't even do core return on short block. They only do on full engine and that's only AED 9000 ($2450). While in USA the core return is $2400 for short block and $3855.

Every part locally is expensive even with the agency providing 30% discount. It's nowhere what prices are abroad. It's still 20-30% higher.

Brutal 01-08-2019 08:55 AM

Different laws obviousy where you are than usa. And if the dealer sold you the car with warranty and the modified exhaust then i would be talking to the gm about
1. Refund cpo
2, pay for repairs since they sold you a car that could not be fully covered under ext warranty
3. Or just strike up to lessons learned, move on and enjoy life

sparky fuze 01-08-2019 09:45 AM

I think the real issue here is the oil starvation. Even if they ignore the exhaust mods, then they will probably still deny any warranty coverage based on the owners lack of monitoring and topping up the oil level. Just MHO, but unfortunately I think it will be a tough case to convince JLR to cover the costs.

Out of curiosity how was the car used/driven? Usually hard driving/track days can lead to oil consumption. I'm not making any accusations, just trying to figure out why it ended up oil starved. (Was it under-filled at the last oil change perhaps?)

Arash 01-08-2019 09:55 AM

The service was done always being done on time. And if you read, i did mention i had only done 74000km while the next service was on 78000km. The service here is every 13000km. How do i drive? i haven't took the car to any track. It was always used from point A to B and vice versa, that would be mainly home to work. How am i supposed to be checking the oil level when no warning is being given and i am on time with service.

Arash 01-08-2019 09:58 AM

Interesting part is that they recommended to change the Oil Pump if i were to change the Engine or its internal parts. They said there were some issues with the oil pump in the past.

scm 01-08-2019 09:59 AM

Do you check your tire pressures between services?

Arash 01-08-2019 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2010908)
Do you check your tire pressures between services?

Yes i do considering the temperature is quite very high here.

ss23 01-08-2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Arash (Post 2010874)
Thanks for your input. The same very person told me he was referring to the scrap yard engines. Those guys are selling used with installation and 1 month warranty for AED 35,000 ($9590) .

The agency doesn't even do core return on short block. They only do on full engine and that's only AED 9000 ($2450). While in USA the core return is $2400 for short block and $3855.

Every part locally is expensive even with the agency providing 30% discount. It's nowhere what prices are abroad. It's still 20-30% higher.

PM me your contact number please, I'll see if I can help you somewhat. Fingers crossed you'll have it back on the road soon enough!