Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018MY updated F-Type? - Spy shots, discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Kief
I don't understand this decision-making process. At what point 718 four-cylinder engine was a selling point? If anything, Cayman would sell despite having only 4-banger.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Every news that is revealed regarding the coming versions of the F-type so far, has only made me happier with the version I allready have.

I think my F-type R is a keeper

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-15-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The sales guy who sold me my F-Type, and who has since defected to Porsche, invited me to drive a 2017 911 base w/ the new 3.0 twin turbo today. Holy s***, it was fast! The drive was also in a very hard rain, and that thing was on rails even on PZeros.

He's a retired UK Royal Marine and former racer, who had me pushing it a lot harder than I would ever have been comfortable with in those kind of conditions. Even when it got just a little loose, it instantly corrected.

Just when you think they can't possibly improve any more upon that crazy, tail-heavy design idea, it just keeps getting more perfect. I think Porsche has also perhaps been influenced by the F-Type as well. That thing had every bit as much, "snap, crackle, and pop" overrun as the F-Type, and way more than previous 911s.

One interesting new feature is something borrowed from F1, where you can push a button, which gives you 30 seconds of max safe overboost from the turbos. A gauge pops up and counts down how much time you have left. That really bounces your head off the headrest.

He also wanted me to drive a '14 CPO 911S with the 3.8 naturally aspirated engine, which seemed more like the Porsches I am familiar with. The new one felt much quicker, and seemed like it actually had a "soul."

Hmmm . . . I've always respected and was impressed by the handling of 911s, but I never really liked them that much. I actually almost loved this one, and maybe I did, even though it's still a little on the ugly side.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-13-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The sales guy who sold me my F-Type, and who has since defected to Porsche, invited me to drive a 2017 911 base w/ the new 3.0 twin turbo today. Holy s***, it was fast! The drive was also in a very hard rain, and that thing was on rails even on PZeros.

He's a retired UK Royal Marine and former racer, who had me pushing it a lot harder than I would ever have been comfortable with in those kind of conditions. Even when it got just a little loose, it instantly corrected.

Just when you think they can't possibly improve any more upon that crazy, tail-heavy design idea, it just keeps getting more perfect. I think Porsche has also perhaps been influenced by the F-Type as well. That thing had every bit as much, "snap, crackle, and pop" overrun as the F-Type, and way more than previous 911s.

One interesting new feature is something borrowed from F1, where you can push a button, which gives you 30 seconds of max safe overboost from the turbos. A gauge pops up and counts down how much time you have left. That really bounces your head off the headrest.

He also wanted me to drive a '14 CPO 911S with the 3.8 naturally aspirated engine, which seemed more like the Porsches I am familiar with. The new one felt much quicker, and seemed like it actually had a "soul."

Hmmm . . . I've always respected and was impressed by the handling of 911s, but I never really liked them that much. I actually almost loved this one, and maybe I did, even though it's still a little on the ugly side.
Sounds like we almost lost you to the dark side.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sounds like we almost lost you to the dark side.
Nah . . . not going anywhere. Impressive as it was, it's not $50K better than my base F-Type. And, I think once the initial honeymoon, new-ness wore off, it would have become a little too clinical.

It just amazes me that Porsche engineering and technology has gotten so good, that almost anyone could post respectable lap times in that thing with just a little coaching. And the new for 2017 smaller displacement, twin-turbo engines are truly incredible.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

Nah . . . not going anywhere. Impressive as it was, it's not $50K better than my base F-Type. And, I think once the initial honeymoon, new-ness wore off, it would have become a little too clinical.

It just amazes me that Porsche engineering and technology has gotten so good, that almost anyone could post respectable lap times in that thing with just a little coaching. And the new for 2017 smaller displacement, twin-turbo engines are truly incredible.
What I would give to have that technology under our bodywork!(though, our cars might lose their souls)

Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What I would give to have that technology under our bodywork!(though, our cars might lose their souls)
Exactly. Too much "perfection" destroys the soul, leads to apathy and kills passion. It's the pursuit that makes life fun. I'd rather see the Porsche pursuing me!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kief
I suppose if Porsche drove off a cliff, Jaguar would drive off behind it.
I'm quite happy where I am, thanks.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
i've yet to drive a car with LED headlights that provide better output than a good HID/Projector setup - even the best systems are still a solid 1/3 down on lumens output

but i understand it's marketing 101 these days to have LED headlights for the 0.0001% gain in efficiency

i just swapped out the oem bulbs for philips ultinon, and even at 6000k with less lumens than 4300k bulbs, it's still producing a stronger and wider beam pattern than the current gen LEDS on my Audi

now if Jag put the new 10" pro touch screen in the f-type, than my parts guy is going to be busy putting that retro together - that screen is a game changer
Audi must have **** LEDs. The LEDs on my BMW M5 made my Jag F-Type seem like the headlights were broken.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Exactly. Now imagine how the 3.8 Twin Turbo with 560hp feels like. After you drive the Porsche, you notice all the shortcuts Jag has made from the S-type anti-roll bars and control arms, to the XF shock absorbers. Of course nothing can come close to the value of the F-Type R, but the Porsche S and Turbo S models are on a different level.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm more interested in what they do with the interior. I hope they don't forget it in the update. The tech and materials are in dire need of an overhaul.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's really hard to upgrade near perfection.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 355spider
It's really hard to upgrade near perfection.
There were a couple of things I never liked about the exterior styling (the gills on the front for one) but for the most part I agree as far as looks go - and they've got rid of those on the SVR anyway. The interior however has plenty of room for improvement.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Nobody is perfect. And I don't want a nobody.....

Old 06-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Anyone hear/read any rumors about a diesel version in the works?

Old 06-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Anyone hear/read any rumors about a diesel version in the works?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Exactly. Now imagine how the 3.8 Twin Turbo with 560hp feels like. After you drive the Porsche, you notice all the shortcuts Jag has made from the S-type anti-roll bars and control arms, to the XF shock absorbers. Of course nothing can come close to the value of the F-Type R, but the Porsche S and Turbo S models are on a different level.
I drove a new 4S last week. I had an hour between appointments and the Porsche dealer was right there so I popped in for a quick look. The car is quick and power is very linear, but it didn't have the same excitement as the R coupe.

At a lease of over double what I pay on even a RWD Carrera S it really rules it out to me. May consider used in a few years if I end up needing something with a backseat.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
I drove a new 4S last week. I had an hour between appointments and the Porsche dealer was right there so I popped in for a quick look. The car is quick and power is very linear, but it didn't have the same excitement as the R coupe.

At a lease of over double what I pay on even a RWD Carrera S it really rules it out to me. May consider used in a few years if I end up needing something with a backseat.
Having 1 or 2 toddlers is probably the best argument for a 911. Being able to take the entire family along in a world class sports car is as good as it gets.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

In fact, when I owned a Porsche and was on that forum it was really the only reason anyone could give for buying a Carrera versus the Cayman/Boxster!
Larry

Old 06-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Having 1 or 2 toddlers is probably the best argument for a 911. Being able to take the entire family along in a world class sports car is as good as it gets.

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
In fact, when I owned a Porsche and was on that forum it was really the only reason anyone could give for buying a Carrera versus the Cayman/Boxster!
Larry
100%. If we end up having kids, this is probably the most logical & best sports car to own and still be able to drive and take the family along. Hopefully development on tuning software over the next few years will be able to greatly increase the power output of the new base and S models.

Quick Reply: 2018MY updated F-Type? - Spy shots, discussion