Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F-Type R: Twin turbo inline 6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonery
I love Car and Driver. One test is for the Carrera S PDK and one is for the RS7 "Performance" (+45 HP).

Carrera S, 420hp twin turbo, 3363 lbs: 11.4 @ 123 Weight/HP = 8.00/1

RS7: 605hp twin turbo, 4487 lbs: 11.3 @ 125 Weight/HP = 7.42/1

911 Turbo (non-S) cabriolet: 540HP, 3731 lbs: 10.8 @ 129 Weight/HP = 7.0/1

F type SVR: assuming 3950 lbs: Almost identical 1/4 mile performance to the Audi and Carrera S... Weight/HP = 6.87/1

In all cases, the turbocharged cars significantly outperform their power/weight ratios. I know there are other factors such as shift speeds and tires, but it's pretty consistent across the board. So is it the launch? Does building boost prior to launch help rocket the cars to these ridiculous numbers? Would a rolling start from 30 MPH show a different result?

2017 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet Test | Review | Car and Driver

2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK Automatic Test | Review | Car and Driver

2017 Audi RS7 Performance Test | Review | Car and Driver
I'd suggest it's other issues; tires, suspension, weight distribution/transfer, electronics/launch mode, driveline, etc. etc.........highly unlikely it's turbo vs. supercharger IMO.

Dave

Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'd suggest it's other issues; tires, suspension, weight distribution/transfer, electronics/launch mode, driveline, etc. etc.........highly unlikely it's turbo vs. supercharger IMO.

Dave
In every case, not just the ones listed in my post, the turbocharged cars significantly outperform the blown ones or cars with similar power/weight. I've yet to find an exception.

One possible explanation is that the turbo cars have broader power bands under the curve which isn't reflected in the peak HP and torque figures.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Hoonery when will your amg gtr arrive?? I promise you'll fall in love with that car and it may very quickly become your favorite. It's is such a amazingly great car.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hoonery
In every case, not just the ones listed in my post, the turbocharged cars significantly outperform the blown ones or cars with similar power/weight. I've yet to find an exception.

One possible explanation is that the turbo cars have broader power bands under the curve which isn't reflected in the peak HP and torque figures.
An interesting hypothesis but I remain unconvinced and still suggest it's due to other factors. HP is HP for the most part.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Well...

HP is top speed, while Torque is how quickly you get there.

This is the "Lies to Children" version, but may help explain why a 4000rpm wide torque plateau will completely waste a a high Figure of Merit if you're not going for VMax.

Obviously, Gearing is notably important.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Well...

HP is top speed, while Torque is how quickly you get there.

This is the "Lies to Children" version, but may help explain why a 4000rpm wide torque plateau will completely waste a a high Figure of Merit if you're not going for VMax.

Obviously, Gearing is notably important.
....I was waiting for that. HP is HP given similar rpm's and HP/Torque curves. the rest of the car cares little how it's created.

If we are talking my diesel pickup vs. my F type; yes the HP figures don't make for a very good direct comparison.....but for two sportscars with a similar redline, it's close enough IMO.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Things to consider in this discussion:

The f-type specifically had torque limiters in 1st and 2nd gear (I believe 2nd as well). This pulls potential acceleration and because of this the quickest way to launch the car is off idle.

Other AWD monsters like the 911 turbo and GTR launch like they are being hit by a hammer. It's violent and well over a G of acceleration. Not so much seen in the 60' times but very noticeable in 0-60. The AWD f type is around 3.3 seconds where as a GTR or 911 turbo can do it in 2.7.

All that being said, I did race a 997.2 911 turbo at the track last week and beat it.

The last thing to consider is area under the curve. Turbos don't struggle with lag or torque nearly as much as they used to; however a 500 hp 5.0L supercharged engine is going to make much more low end torque than a similarly powered 3.0L turbo motor. Not so noticeable on the drag strip where you're driving in the high RPM exclusively; however on a road course this is significant.

In the end a power curve is a power curve; if a supercharged power curve was identical to a turbocharged power curve, the vehicle performance would also be identical. However efficiency wouldn't be the same, which is why turbocharging is significantly more popular.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (04-21-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
....I was waiting for that. HP is HP given similar rpm's and HP/Torque curves. the rest of the car cares little how it's created.

If we are talking my diesel pickup vs. my F type; yes the HP figures don't make for a very good direct comparison.....but for two sportscars with a similar redline, it's close enough IMO.

Cheers,
Dave
Okay, I'll bite...

HP figures exist to enable you to directly compare the ability of engines that have significantly different Torque characteristics to do Work.

An engine that produces low peak torque at high rpm is rated as having a higher HP than a torque-rich low revving engine as the former allows you to use a much bigger gear ratio with resulting increase in torque multiplication than the latter.

Maybe if I try Lies to Freshmen: Torque is what engines produce. Horsepower is a Figure of Merit that estimates how much can be done with that torque.

Over to you.

Mike

Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

You're over thinking this. Horsepower = (torque x RPM)/5252.

Its just a math equation and all relates back to measured torque.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Just read in new Automobile that new F Type is due in 2020. Assume that is when engine changes will happen. In an article about Jag/LR in general.