F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020MY ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

It is good to see you being able to order a 2020 so easily and so early. I can recall more than one thread about individuals going crazy trying to get a dealer to order one and then having to wait an eternity for it to appear. Either JLR is getting better, or you have a dealer who has mastered the system.

However, since you are undecided as to lease vs buy, I presume the pricing is also still to be determined. I expect one could just order it with the understanding that if you could not agree on price at a later date the deposit if any would be gone, a rather expensive gamble. Or one could agree to a formula, MSRP less 18%, or one could say I am going to do the USAA deal whatever it is, or since its your brother-in-law you trust him. I am not looking for any confidential information, but is my thinking correct.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
It is good to see you being able to order a 2020 so easily and so early. I can recall more than one thread about individuals going crazy trying to get a dealer to order one and then having to wait an eternity for it to appear. Either JLR is getting better, or you have a dealer who has mastered the system.

However, since you are undecided as to lease vs buy, I presume the pricing is also still to be determined. I expect one could just order it with the understanding that if you could not agree on price at a later date the deposit if any would be gone, a rather expensive gamble. Or one could agree to a formula, MSRP less 18%, or one could say I am going to do the USAA deal whatever it is, or since its your brother-in-law you trust him. I am not looking for any confidential information, but is my thinking correct.
in most states, you are entitled to a full refund of the deposit until the title is transferred regardless of your reason for walking away from the deal.

The following users liked this post:
Suaro (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Un, my quick bit of web surfing does not support your reading of the law. It would seem unfair to be able to order a rediculously wacked out vehicle that no one in their right mind would want and then be able to walk away with your deposit and stick the dealer.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Un, my quick bit of web surfing does not support your reading of the law. It would seem unfair to be able to order a rediculously wacked out vehicle that no one in their right mind would want and then be able to walk away with your deposit and stick the dealer.
Well that is, in fact, the way it works in my state. This will also be my fourth Jaguar (with the third arriving in March) from the same dealership....so they are not concerned with collecting deposits from me any longer.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

I ordered a 2019 F-Type. Dealer did not ask for a deposit. When the car came in the dealer would not budge off the MSRP. So I walked. Got a used 2015 for half what the dealer wanted for the 2019. You would have to have money to burn to pay MSRP for one of these cars.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
I ordered a 2019 F-Type. Dealer did not ask for a deposit. When the car came in the dealer would not budge off the MSRP. So I walked. Got a used 2015 for half what the dealer wanted for the 2019. You would have to have money to burn to pay MSRP for one of these cars.
Well if you order new you can get the exact spec you want plus you can run it in properly and you know its history.
Yes they are expensive.
The list price of my car came to £79,171 the dealer discounted it to £74,286. So £4885 off the price. Still expensive but I got what I wanted.
The Sterling-Dollar exchange rate back then in 2016 was $1.42 so I got $6,936 off the price.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Wonder if JLR has managed to reduce dealer inventory a bit - seemed like they shut off orders for quite a while last year. Haven't seen as many folks discussing the huge discount they just got, so perhaps prices are firmer?

Old 01-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Wonder if JLR has managed to reduce dealer inventory a bit - seemed like they shut off orders for quite a while last year. Haven't seen as many folks discussing the huge discount they just got, so perhaps prices are firmer?
Like this, https://www.hornburgjaguarla.com/inv...df1fv6jck49204. This looks as if it is a demo or loaner by the wear of the front rotor, but still quite the discount on a 2018. But I do agree that ordering your own from the dealer gets you what you want with no compromise.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@Nati I just downloaded this PDF. I was about to suggest to compare 'life' the colours Ultra Blue / Velocity Bleu. I have the UB, but was a bit set back at first sight.
As far as I can see the VB is just a shade darker and much more special as in bright sunlight the UB looks a bit pale to me..

But in your 'Customer order Guide' , there is no 'Velocity Blue' anymore !!!

I cut & pasted in the configurator which THE WORSEST means to select a colour... ... the left part is Ultra and the richt part Velocity gloss...

The Velocity is a shade darker. If you wonder, go and see a VB and UB car in the SUN and SHADE and you'll see what I am on about...

Old 01-25-2019, 09:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Looks like a great color.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Nati I just downloaded this PDF. I was about to suggest to compare 'life' the colours Ultra Blue / Velocity Bleu. I have the UB, but was a bit set back at first sight.
As far as I can see the VB is just a shade darker and much more special as in bright sunlight the UB looks a bit pale to me..

But in your 'Customer order Guide' , there is no 'Velocity Blue' anymore !!!

I cut & pasted in the configurator which THE WORSEST means to select a colour... ... the left part is Ultra and the richt part Velocity gloss...

The Velocity is a shade darker. If you wonder, go and see a VB and UB car in the SUN and SHADE and you'll see what I am on about...

Velocity is not available on the F Type in North America.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
Like this, https://www.hornburgjaguarla.com/inv...df1fv6jck49204. This looks as if it is a demo or loaner by the wear of the front rotor, but still quite the discount on a 2018. But I do agree that ordering your own from the dealer gets you what you want with no compromise.
How about this, I wanted to import it but the dealer refused to provide the cars history to me. LHD in the UK. German registered. They didn’t give me any info why it was sent back to the UK.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...esearchad=Used

Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

@vika01
What makes you think it came from Germany ? It can be a car that never left the UK and was produced as a production series. Why should there be a 'history' .
I think you can ask for the 'transport sticker' , that are stuck on the car when they arrive at the dealers. It gives port of departure and destination/date.
He must have that in the reference list they get for delivered vehicles.

You can check if the VIN has been registered anywhere. If not its not been imported anywhere.

I would think that importing it in Sweden could be a problem due to the CO2 output ? Did you check with customs and registretion/vehicle department in Sweden ?

".. WE CAN ALSO DELIVER ANY OF OUR VEHICLES. MAKIING IT EASY FOR YOU TO BUY FROM US (mainland U.K. only), £59,996.." .

It can also be they thought you wanted them to arrange transport ? There are specilised company's for that. You can also get a 'one day license' in the UK,
then put it on a ferry to Sweden and use a [pre-ordered] import license there on the car. But you would not save a huge amount of money I think.

Last edited by Dan_NL; 01-26-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 AM

@vika01
What makes you think it came from Germany ? It can be a car that never left the UK and was produced as a production series. Why should there be a 'history' .
I think you can ask for the 'transport sticker' , that are stuck on the car when they arrive at the dealers. It gives port of departure and destination/date.
He must have that in the reference list they get for delivered vehicles.

You can check if the VIN has been registered anywhere. If not its not been imported anywhere.

I would think that importing it in Sweden could be a problem due to the CO2 output ? Did you check with customs and registretion/vehicle department in Sweden ?

".. WE CAN ALSO DELIVER ANY OF OUR VEHICLES. MAKIING IT EASY FOR YOU TO BUY FROM US (mainland U.K. only), £59,996.." .

It can also be they thought you wanted them to arrange transport ? There are specilised company's for that. You can also get a 'one day license' in the UK,
then put it on a ferry to Sweden and use a [pre-ordered] import license there on the car. But you would not save a huge amount of money I think.
It is a German registered car. You are also a member in the UK forum, how did you miss this? www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3124
They already said they have no problem with me importing it but they refused to follow the EU laws and sell it VAT free in the UK. And the car has a German VIN number and they didn't tell me why. Their answer was '' we are not obligated to give any information about our cars history''. That 's a terrible answer.

I would save a huge amount of money. A new Jaguar F-type R convertible in Sweden is 150 000 usd. This car 1 year old with low mileage is 79 000 usd.
Total import costs including flight, drive, gas, registration is about 2500 usd. So a 45% discount all costs included. But as they didn't say why it was back in the UK as the only LHD for sale I can't trust it not having any faults and I can't sell it when it would be time if I don't know the history. And it has no back up camera, front sensors or heated steering wheel. Anyway I was really ready to buy it if the history would have been provided and good. The car has been to Copart and had AC service. That's a warning to me.

Last edited by vika01; 01-26-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

@vika01
The link you sent doesn't work. Just approach an official car import company in Sweden. Inform them on the car and say you want to buy it and get the VAT back. They know the rules.
But I think the rule is you can not inside the EU. You just do not have to pay the VAT again in Sweden. Though luck when the VAT is lower in Sweden.
But if you buy in a member state with low VAT it gives you an advantage..

Under EU rules you also have full warranty on the car. And for this enormous price difference, you have to decide if its worth the gamble.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 AM

@vika01
The link you sent doesn't work. Just approach an official car import company in Sweden. Inform them on the car and say you want to buy it and get the VAT back. They know the rules.
But I think the rule is you can not inside the EU. You just do not have to pay the VAT again in Sweden. Though luck when the VAT is lower in Sweden.
But if you buy in a member state with low VAT it gives you an advantage..
No you are incorrect. VAT is payed in the country the car is imported to and excluded in the country you bought it from. VAT in Sweden is higher not lower. UK is 20%, Sweden is 25%.
I would import it myself, not hire anybody. You buy the car VAT free and then report the purchase to the Swedish tax agency when you get back and pay the VAT to them (25% Swedish VAT). This is how it works for new cars in the EU and it's normal in Germany when you import cars. The UK seller finally admitted when I said no deal that they don't have experience with buyers importing cars. You must always pay the VAT where the car is imported to for cars less than 6 months old or less than 6000 km driven. That's the main thing and that's why they should't claim they needed VAT in the UK. They were incorrect as the link below clearly shows.

Here it is: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/car-taxation/buying-selling-cars_en#_vat_when_buying_1

Last edited by vika01; 01-26-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

@vika01.
I find it strange that you pose a question on the forum, and not give all the background information.
Then when I repsond you start to bring info into the conversation you already had.

Why ask if you know ?
You waste my time.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 AM

@vika01.
I find it strange that you pose a question on the forum, and not give all the background information.
Then when I repsond you start to bring info into the conversation you already had.

Why ask if you know ?
You waste my time.
No you wasted my time by answering my comment to another forum user. Why get involved? I don’t know the answer to why it was sent back. I just answered your VAT claim. My post was to the user posting a cheap low mileage 1-2 year old car. It wasn’t a question. I was quoting a post with an ad and showed him a similar ad. You decided to waste my time by getting involved. Do you also get involved with peoples conversations in the street that have nothing to do with you and then tell them they waste your time?

Last edited by vika01; 01-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vika01
.. No you wasted my time by answering my comment to another forum user. Why get involved? ...
The way you post a DIRECT question to any forum member is bij starting the post by mentioning his/her name. So you should have started with " @_Noshame " [ without the underscore , which I put to avoid him getting a message..].
You posted it now a an "open" question to ANYONE.

So if you keep that in mind, we all safe a lot of time here.