Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Meridian Concern

Hi

Where an identical concern is identified across a range of vehicles, this would be directed to our Engineering and Technical Department to ensure a robust technical bulletin is issued to resolve the concern.

However, in cases where the concern is unique we would require an individual inspection to be carried out by a Jaguar retailer and with the assistance of our technical department we would look to resolve the concern that has been raised.

As previously advised, should anybody be experiencing a concern, we would suggest making an appointment with your local Jaguar retailer and at the time of booking, also contact me to provide me with your details I will be happy to assist.

Regards

Ryan

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan@Jaguar
Hi

Where an identical concern is identified across a range of vehicles, this would be directed to our Engineering and Technical Department to ensure a robust technical bulletin is issued to resolve the concern.

However, in cases where the concern is unique we would require an individual inspection to be carried out by a Jaguar retailer and with the assistance of our technical department we would look to resolve the concern that has been raised.

As previously advised, should anybody be experiencing a concern, we would suggest making an appointment with your local Jaguar retailer and at the time of booking, also contact me to provide me with your details I will be happy to assist.

Regards

Ryan
Ryan, while I don't have a problem with my 380w Meridian, probably because I just got lucky, I am convinced that there are sufficient numbers who have legitimate gripes to merit some sort of TSB, better than "foam and tape." Rattles and vibration do appear to be pervasive as evidenced by the poll now running here.

The people reporting problems here are approaching 50% with nearly 50 owners responding. Many have gone to dealers, and I agree with "Mawheele" that it appears that they have received insufficient guidance and support from JLR to address this problem.

Can you please research this with your Engineering and Technical Department and provide the forum with some evidence that they have concluded that there is an issue, and they are working on a solution to the vibration and rattle issues? I don't know how JLR would address the "poor sound quality" complaint as that is vague and subjective.

Total silence on whether the problem is being worked and "take it to your dealer" answers are merely deepening the frustration.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
DuhCar (03-31-2015), mawheele (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Meridian Concern

Hi Foosh

Whilst we are aware that there have been some concerns raised on this thread relating to various audio concerns, I must advise that a TSB will only be issued in response to the same specific concern which affects a number of vehicles.

Our Engineering Department rely on our retailer network to make them aware of such issues via Quality Reports to identify a specific issue and quantify the number of vehicles that may be affected.

Please note however, we will continue to address each individual concern that is raised to us, although due to the unique nature and differences between the concerns raised, these would need to be investigated and resolved on a case by case basis.

Regards

Ryan

Old 03-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Ryan,

With all due respect, rattles and vibrations from panels, associated only with the use of the sound system and associated with certain sound frequencies reported by dozens of individuals does not sound like unique individual concerns. It's a systemic issue with a number of cars.

If your Engineering and Technical Department has not registered that, I suspect that a couple of things are possible:

1) Many are living with the problem and not taking it to the dealer, or

2) Dealers who see this problem aren't properly reporting it back to JLR.

I've not yet personally experienced Jaguar customer service, since my car has been defect-free in the first year. I'm posting this as a satisfied customer with no gripes, but my perception from watching this issue for a long time now is that it is not being handled very well. I can't remember a single post on this forum where a person who has taken the car to the dealer for a Meridian problem has been satisfied with the "fix."

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
mawheele (03-31-2015), RobsnTX (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi

Regards

Ryan

Ryan, thanks so much for taking time out to look at this issue on behalf of our members, much appreciated.

Members

Please note that although Ryan is part of Customer Relations Centre, his main focus is for the UK only, dealing with these requests is technically speaking outwith his remit of operations.

We are talking to Jaguar with the aim of having a specific CRC Representative for the US / Canada at this time and are hopeful this may yet happen.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

As many have stated here,the exhaust system is the stereo so most overlook the shortcomings and just deal with it. I know for one,I am more concerned with greasy fingerprints and having parts of my interior ripped apart then the stereo issues...so I'm just living with it,mainly OFF for the most part.

This certainly isn't something I was expecting with a luxury brand such as Jaguar...

The following 3 users liked this post by buickfunnycar.com:
Foosh (03-31-2015), Schwabe (03-31-2015), slojotaa (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Hi

Regards

Ryan
Ryan,

This is unsatisfactory and to use the unique vs identical is a cop out.

As you are no doubt aware the majority of owners including myself are experiencing rattles and hisses from the speaker cabinets which in each case' 'unique' since it may well be a different speaker depending on the vehicle However this concern is actually 'identical' in nature and so Jaguar should be compensating owners, especially those of us who paid for the upgraded system, extra speakers - extra rattle.

My car was with BMCD in San Francicso for two weeks and they could not reduce the vibrations from my front center (above the air vent) speaker. They told me they took the speaker out and tried to insulate the cabinet but it was to no avail. They tried to tell me they could hear no issues however once I got int he car and played some audio there was instant rattle.

This points to poor quality control with the installation of the speakers. Whether Jaguar are to blame or Meridian only you guys know, however compensation would seem fair and may somewhat allay poor customer satisfaction.

mawheele (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Ryan,

With all due respect, rattles and vibrations from panels, associated only with the use of the sound system and associated with certain sound frequencies reported by dozens of individuals does not sound like unique individual concerns. It's a systemic issue with a number of cars.

If your Engineering and Technical Department has not registered that, I suspect that a couple of things are possible:

1) Many are living with the problem and not taking it to the dealer, or

2) Dealers who see this problem aren't properly reporting it back to JLR.

I've not yet personally experienced Jaguar customer service, since my car has been defect-free in the first year. I'm posting this as a satisfied customer with no gripes, but my perception from watching this issue for a long time now is that it is not being handled very well. I can't remember a single post on this forum where a person who has taken the car to the dealer for a Meridian problem has been satisfied with the "fix."

I called the dealer and discussed the problem that I have been having with the stereo system and they said that they weren't aware of any issues or complaints but that they would check it out if I would bring it in.

I opted not to take it in and have them start randomly taking the car apart to "fix the problem" if (1) Jaguar/Meridian has not given them guidance, and (2) they had not done this before.

Foosh (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't either, absent the presence of some technical guidance from JLR. It seems increasingly apparent that none has yet been issued.

mawheele (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsnTX
I called the dealer and discussed the problem that I have been having with the stereo system and they said that they weren't aware of any issues or complaints but that they would check it out if I would bring it in.

I opted not to take it in and have them start randomly taking the car apart to "fix the problem" if (1) Jaguar/Meridian has not given them guidance, and (2) they had not done this before.
I can totally sympathise with you. The plastic trims around the left-hand door and the stainless steel plate all came back scuffed on my car (even though the plate was still in its protective delivery film when I gave it to them.) By the fourth time they had attempted a repair on the speaker, this film had gone and the abrasions had got worse.

My biggest frustration with JLR is that they won't do anything than ask a dealer to have a fifth go at it. I've persisted in chasing them to develop a TSB with replacement parts if necessary and for months they have persistently said "No." Perhaps they could get around to replacing the trim they damaged at the same time, but I'm paranoid it will just get worse.

Since this subject has started to bubble back to the top of the Forum this past week, they seem to have re-engaged. Maybe this time and with such frustrated sentiment, they may take the long overdue action of a responsible manufacturer.

Last edited by mawheele; 03-31-2015 at 03:13 PM.
DuhCar (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I mentioned this in another thread regarding stereo issues, but figured it bears repeating here as it is pertinent to this discussion as well.

The company doing my stereo R&D/install has been contacted by several dealerships in Los Angeles interested in offering their system as a dealer installed option. This would indicate that at least some dealers are aware of the poor quality of the stereo, and are taking steps outside of JLR to find a remedy.

The following 2 users liked this post by BierNut:
alexg (04-01-2015), slojotaa (03-31-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I'm afraid that most manufacturers have issues to some degree and very few rarely step up straight away, rather its a tsb released some years down the line.

Fair play to you guys and keep banging the drum, I know I would if it was I

Good luck

Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Where are all the speakers located and is there a list of what they are?

My only 'disappointment', if you can even call it that, is that the Meridian sound system in my vehicle sounds anemic, rattle'y and tin'y at times. For the money and the sheer number of speakers, it should be vibrating alarms on when I drive by if it's up.

I count six speakers in both doors (total), one in the center mount on the dash for seven. Two behind each seat for 9. That leaves another 3 I do not see.
Hi
Look at this URL bottom of the page, and point to the system of interest. The numbers for the 770W don't add to 12, but gives you an idea of speaker placement. https://www.meridian-audio.com/autom.../f-type-coupe/

The above is from the Meridian site itself.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jjones
My 770 Watt system distorts as well and a generally muddy sound. Anyone get the dealer to fix it?

Jim Jones
2014 F-type V8S now at 5k miles
Hi Jim
Mine was taken to the dealer last night, we gave it a listen together and he said...."yep, I hear it from the back, and from the panels". When an accoustic song plays....., it is fine. When a base type song plays it is painful to the ears at any respectable volume on up, or any respectable base setting. Will let you know what comes out of it, but the dealer is awesome and cares about it's customers. We will see what they work out with JLR???

Note - Dealer is the only way to fly, and in finding a good one it gives peace of mind that a complex problem will be sorted out one way or another.

Joe

Old 04-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 770w also and noticed a distortion from driver door panel on some songs with particular base, not consistent though. May have to get this looked at
770w system is miles better than the standard option no doubt. But let's be honest, Meridian cannot stand up to Bose or Harmon/Kardon or Polk Audio--plain and simple. If I could, I would install a Bose system with Klipsch speakers

Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi
Look at this URL bottom of the page, and point to the system of interest. The numbers for the 770W don't add to 12, but gives you an idea of speaker placement. https://www.meridian-audio.com/autom.../f-type-coupe/

The above is from the Meridian site itself.
slojotaa, the number of speaker locations only equals 11 in the 770 Watt system. However, in the system description, the 770 Watt system uses a center channel that is a coaxial midrange and tweeter. Many automobile manufacturers and audio companies refer to a coaxial speaker as being two drivers for the purposes of marketing. (many consumers have a misconception that more speakers equals better sound)

Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ocstig
slojotaa, the number of speaker locations only equals 11 in the 770 Watt system. However, in the system description, the 770 Watt system uses a center channel that is a coaxial midrange and tweeter. Many automobile manufacturers and audio companies refer to a coaxial speaker as being two drivers for the purposes of marketing. (many consumers have a misconception that more speakers equals better sound)
Thanks, and this is odd, and I never heard of this before....., not that it isn't true, but never heard of it. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Third repair attempt

Ryan,

I have patiently waited months for this issue to be addressed. I have experienced all of be the aforementioned issues with my (2015 F-type S Cpe) Meridian sound system as well specifically resonance/excessive rattle.

I have scheduled a third visit to the dealership this week to try and address the issue. However my problem is that it would seem the dealership takes a stance that corporate is working the issue. While corp takes the position that they haven't heard enough complaints to merit any further action.

I'm concerned that either party isn't either motivated enough or genuinely concerned with the issue to properly address it all together.

This is my second Jaguar after having to use my states lemon law to get out of my first one (2013 XF 2.0 - unresolved engine vibration issue). However that is not my goal here, I thoroughly enjoy driving my F-type. However the sound system is all apart of the experience and currently it is unacceptable.

Hi

Regards

Ryan

mawheele (05-26-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, this. This is exactly the same response I've had. The dealership says they are waiting on Jag. However Jag doesn't appear to acknowledge the problem. So in the meantime if I want to listen to music in the car without rattling I have to take my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited soft top out.....
Originally Posted by aluc4rd
Ryan,

I have patiently waited months for this issue to be addressed. I have experienced all of be the aforementioned issues with my (2015 F-type S Cpe) Meridian sound system as well specifically resonance/excessive rattle.

I have scheduled a third visit to the dealership this week to try and address the issue. However my problem is that it would seem the dealership takes a stance that corporate is working the issue. While corp takes the position that they haven't heard enough complaints to merit any further action.

I'm concerned that either party isn't either motivated enough or genuinely concerned with the issue to properly address it all together.

This is my second Jaguar after having to use my states lemon law to get out of my first one (2013 XF 2.0 - unresolved engine vibration issue). However that is not my goal here, I thoroughly enjoy driving my F-type. However the sound system is all apart of the experience and currently it is unacceptable.

mawheele (05-26-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mm767cap
Yes, this. This is exactly the same response I've had. The dealership says they are waiting on Jag. However Jag doesn't appear to acknowledge the problem. So in the meantime if I want to listen to music in the car without rattling I have to take my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited soft top out.....
Tentatively have an appointment for next Monday. Firming it up as we speak. Will be my 2nd attempt, after muliple emails, calls, and interactions. I think they may be acknowledging the problem as we speak. But then again, can't bank on anything...as I have been let down time and time again! Stay tuned. It is embarrassing driving around with apple earphones in my ears in a Jag to get "fair sound".....:-) Not really but had to place this statement out there, as this is sometimes how I feel.

The following 2 users liked this post by slojotaa:
aluc4rd (05-25-2015), mawheele (05-26-2015)

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question