F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

To reiterate: Dealerships will only report remedial work if JLR encourage them to do so. Have a look at a UK BMW dealership's IT connections to BMW.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:20 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I note that some of you may have bookings with your retailer regarding the concerns that you have raised.

Should you wish for additional support to be provided to you in the form of contact from Land Rover Customer Relations North America, I would be happy to forward your details to our Global Team to request that you are contacted directly. To do so, I will require the following information to be sent to me via PM;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Jaguar retailer

Regards

Ryan

The following users liked this post:
mm767cap (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 04:25 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Have a look at a UK BMW dealership's IT connections to BMW.
Yeap - much greater investment in the ownership lifecycle. And its not just the connection between the dealership and HQ, its also now the cars themselves. The German brands were all keen to avoid a Toyota outcome and both of them are now investing in predictive analysis and our cars reporting over cellular on their issues back to home. Its also helps with shipment of spares holding at the dealerships.

The problem they have - that has come about since moving to common shared platforms, a problem could equate to millions of affected vehicles - so with better lifecycle management they are able to avoid suddenly performing a recall on a million plus cars!

With BMW - its all in the Key fob...

Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 PM

Having given my Jaguar dealer a fifth chance to fix the audio issue, my car returned with its window scratched. They had clearly cut the foam tape applied to reduce the reverberations around the entry point of the window into the door.

I knew I should never have given in to JLR. One problem grows into another every time I give them my car...

Old 05-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Having given my Jaguar dealer a fifth chance to fix the audio issue, my car returned with its window scratched. They had clearly cut the foam tape applied to reduce the reverberations around the entry point of the window into the door.

I knew I should never have given in to JLR. One problem grows into another every time I give them my car...

All I could say is "DAMN"!!!! So sorry to read this post, enough said!!!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Enough comparisons to BMW and Merc. These are much larger companies. Audi sold 550000 cars in China last year! Jag has come a long way but their sales pale compared to German and Japanese, don't even equal their slowest model. The Koreans sell more. Both BMW and Merc screw up all the time, so do their dealers that are much larger than Jag dealers. What does a Jag dealer keep in stock, 30-50 cars? What is Jag selling every month? Jag is still trying to figure out how to manage their higher volume, especially since they sell more Range Rovers. Anyone who bought a Jag and expected an German experience should have bought a german car. I bought the Jag cause I liked the way it looked and liked the idea of more exotic technology. Merc has caught up with the GT, but at a higher price.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
Enough comparisons to BMW and Merc. These are much larger companies. Audi sold 550000 cars in China last year! Jag has come a long way but their sales pale compared to German and Japanese, don't even equal their slowest model. The Koreans sell more. Both BMW and Merc screw up all the time, so do their dealers that are much larger than Jag dealers. What does a Jag dealer keep in stock, 30-50 cars? What is Jag selling every month? Jag is still trying to figure out how to manage their higher volume, especially since they sell more Range Rovers. Anyone who bought a Jag and expected an German experience should have bought a german car. I bought the Jag cause I liked the way it looked and liked the idea of more exotic technology. Merc has caught up with the GT, but at a higher price.
BJG...although I think your statements about "variables" that are different between German, Japanese and British cars....this holds true in anything. My counter to this, or rather slight adjustment to your view is what about Tesla? They are even smaller, and not any of these issues exists. In fact when the auto industry and the media tried to crucify them out of the marketplace with the "fires" which are still questionable as to how they started, Tesla for brand integrity immediately put a lifetime warranty in to preserve the brand. Not a peep on this topic since then, and Tesla is still growing and every person I ask who has one, what do you think? states, I love this car, each and every aspect of it. Makes me really wonder as to how they do this so perfectly, as does Lexus, and not the others. Your point I get, but enough with is absolute on a topic that still holds some waters for comparisons that are sometimes fair, and as you state fairly, sometimes not.

Have a good weekend,

mawheele (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by slojotaa
BJG...although I think your statements about "variables" that are different between German, Japanese and British cars....this holds true in anything. My counter to this, or rather slight adjustment to your view is what about Tesla? They are even smaller, and not any of these issues exists. In fact when the auto industry and the media tried to crucify them out of the marketplace with the "fires" which are still questionable as to how they started, Tesla for brand integrity immediately put a lifetime warranty in to preserve the brand. Not a peep on this topic since then, and Tesla is still growing and every person I ask who has one, what do you think? states, I love this car, each and every aspect of it. Makes me really wonder as to how they do this so perfectly, as does Lexus, and not the others. Your point I get, but enough with is absolute on a topic that still holds some waters for comparisons that are sometimes fair, and as you state fairly, sometimes not.

Have a good weekend,

Totally agree with your comments on Tesla. Other great examples include Apple who consistently from 1997 with small volumes to today where their volumes are immense have retained exceptional customer experience metrics. It can be done.

Those failing are failing not through changing circumstances, but because they don't give the subject enough attention, innovation or thinking because their priorities sit elsewhere.

JLR's problem is IMOP a lack of previous investment and cultural. Audi meanwhile has spent tons of money and expected their dealers to do likewise to establish a certain standard.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Tesla? wow, take a look at repair issues on True Delta, or look up powertrain issues for Telsa..
The sound system in the F is fairly inexpensive and likely performs as such, however it should not rattle etc. etc.
Lawrence.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Tesla? wow, take a look at repair issues on True Delta, or look up powertrain issues for Telsa..
The sound system in the F is fairly inexpensive and likely performs as such, however it should not rattle etc. etc.
Lawrence.
Hi Lawrence,
In todays world of complex vehicles, I accept that faults will occur. The point I think we are trying to make is how manufacturers go about addressing the faults and looking after the customer.

And as your rightly say, Tesla has its fair share of faults - especially when they are a company pushing the boundaries more than most. But show me a P****d off customer and I'll show you multiple more for JLR. And in my experience Jaguar is shocking - this isn't about the audio. We all acknowledge they've skimped on the engineering and done a shoddy job.

However, poor design engineering aside, why should I have my car damaged multiple times with scuffs and get treated like crap?

Tesla on the other hand creates fanboys from those who experience faults and end up raving about how well they were taken care of.

Mark.

Last edited by mawheele; 05-31-2015 at 02:22 PM.
slojotaa (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mawheele
Hi Lawrence,
In todays world of complex vehicles, I accept that faults will occur. The point I think we are trying to make is how manufacturers go about addressing the faults and looking after the customer.

And as your rightly say, Tesla has its fair share of faults - especially when they are a company pushing the boundaries more than most. But show me a P****d off customer and I'll show you multiple more for JLR. And in my experience Jaguar is shocking - this isn't about he audio. We all acknowledge they've skimped on the engineering and done a shoddy job.

However, poor design engineering aside, why should I have my car damaged multiple times with scuffs and get treated like crap?

Tesla on the other hand creates fanboys from those who experience faults and end up raving about how well they were taken care of.

Mark.
Amen!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa

Have a good weekend,
Tesla is still an experiment, which would have been long gone had it not been for the stubbornness, tenacity, and deep pockets of founder Elon Musk. For him, it's a bit like a "cult crusade," just like his private space business, SpaceX. He's not making decisions based on normal corporate cost-benefit analyses. He's taking huge losses and investing large sums just to keep current owners happy and to preserve Tesla's reputation. By Mr. Musk's own admission, profitability is not predicted until 2020, and many in the investment community are skeptical they'll get there.

Tesla won't turn profitable until 2020: Musk - MarketWatch

Tesla has also benefitted from large scale U.S. tax breaks and other incentives because making electric cars more practical and widespread is a policy goal of the current administration. Comparisons of JLR customer service to Tesla are tenuous at best.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
For him, it's a bit like a "cult crusade," just like his private space business, SpaceX. He's not making decisions based on normal corporate cost-benefit analyses. He's taking huge losses and investing large sums just to keep current owners happy and to preserve Tesla's reputation. By Mr. Musk's own admission, profitability is not predicted until 2020, and many in the investment community are skeptical they'll get there.
And totally off-topic, he is promoting the total elimination of human drivers from the car "nothing-more-than-transportation" experience. That's when he lost me as an avid supporter.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
And totally off-topic, he is promoting the total elimination of human drivers from the car "nothing-more-than-transportation" experience. That's when he lost me as an avid supporter.
That creates, to your point, a totally different customer segment. Like you, there are those of us who want to drive and enjoy the experience. However, I think that in due time the masses would like to work, read or whatever, as the drive goes on in a robotic GPS fashion. Like taking the train from NY to Boston, or Washington, efficient use of time. Should be interesting, but I, like you would be in both segments. When I want to drive, I do so, and when I want to be efficient the newer google technology when perfected will be interesting and welcomed. Fitting in both segments is my read on things for myself.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Tesla is still an experiment, which would have been long gone had it not been for the stubbornness, tenacity, and deep pockets of founder Elon Musk. For him, it's a bit like a "cult crusade," just like his private space business, SpaceX. He's not making decisions based on normal corporate cost-benefit analyses. He's taking huge losses and investing large sums just to keep current owners happy and to preserve Tesla's reputation. By Mr. Musk's own admission, profitability is not predicted until 2020, and many in the investment community are skeptical they'll get there.

Tesla won't turn profitable until 2020: Musk - MarketWatch

Tesla has also benefitted from large scale U.S. tax breaks and other incentives because making electric cars more practical and widespread is a policy goal of the current administration. Comparisons of JLR customer service to Tesla are tenuous at best.
Even as an experiment, what car company or mfg. to that point does not take full advantage of the tax incentives that are put before them. Car mfg., for example have been putting "back seats" in cars that had no right to be there. Couldn't fit a mouse in the back, but the tax break as a 4 seater was too important to pass by. If it is meant to be an incentive, the foolish enterprise leader would not pass on this incentive, as a responsibility to the shareholder/owners.

Tesla is an experiment to your point, that others in the auto industry are feverishly trying to eliminate. Elon would have been bankrupt and almost suffered a nervous breakdown until the money was fronted for him to continue. The rest is history in the making. Will Tesla be acquired? I think so, once he gets bored with it and wants another enriching experience. Almost happened already, thus the reason I never went for it, despite loving the car/concept and quality of it.

Last note Foosh, Amazon lost money for years, and the street was stating that Jeff Bezos was crazy leaking money. It still rocks on, and is huge in click and ship standards, along with innovation (robotics and beyond) taking a huge bite out of the retail "mall walkers".

Crazy and ever changing world we live in, but the common denominator is customer satisfaction "within reason" of course. Tesla still bends over backwards, as does Lexus....two extremes in the segment but "customer focused without question". It is fair, to earlier points by others to compare customer service, despite size of the company. If there is a customer, there should be top flight service, and in this case, size doesn't matter.

I do find the Tesla story to be intriguing. Very interesting!!!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:19 PM

Tesla is still an experiment.
That must be why every premium/luxury car company are pooping their pants and as a result have re-jigged their product roadmaps inc, BMW and Porsche...

And now Apple is giving them palpitations to add to their recalculations.

Its all about experience now.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

For every Amazon and Apple, there are thousands of failed ventures that ran out of money. As I said, Tesla is still in the experimental phase, thus the jury is still out. It is not profitable. Of course, they are bending over backwards as far as customer service is concerned.

They could be another Apple, or they could go the way of DeLorean and scores of other failed dreams. As this point, I have no clue, which way it will go.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:33 PM

Here are the comparative valuations of Tata Motors inc. JLR and other subidiaries versus Tesla.

Tata Motors market cap $21.9 Billion.

Tesla Motors market cap $31.7 Billion.

Experience leads directly to Valuation.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

And in early 2007, the market cap of Lehman Brothers was $60B. One year later, it collapsed completely.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

And in early 2007, the market cap of Lehman Brothers was $60B. One year later, it collapsed completely.
Nah, the entire Securitization Market collapsed, aka why not bring up Enron....., which are very unfair comparisons.

GM almost went under, thanks to Obama they didn't and are now alive and well, terrible cars, customer service, dealership networks, end of story!

Chrysler the same, almost under, and almost took Mercedes Down with them, from the vantage point of Quality and crap customer service once again with terrible cars

Ford.....they never needed the money, but were doing well, trucks were the darling of the industry, and now they are continuing to produce the best cars in Taurus (my personal favorite). Ford and JLR didn't mix well, but Ford poured so much quality into JLR, which is still used, and recognized that they couldn't keep the quality and customer experience at "Ford levels", and dumped them quickly.....however after taking the engineering disasters of the past to much better levels.

Lastly, the issue isn't who is better or who is worse, but rather, without questions:

Economic Value Added - which has a clear cut correlation to stock growth and street price/mkt. cap!!!:

Revenue Growth (Customer Service, more customers, more revenue)

Operating Margin Improvement (low cost, meaning stop repeat stuff, get volume from the customers wanting to buy more, and getting the "power of the buy) and other improvements.

Asset Efficiency - Uptime/Yields/Flexibility, keeping the assets smoking, which comes from more orders, efficiency, less repeats and how does this happen, happier and more customers.

This is what the issue is, nothing more or nothing less!!! The Securitization market had it's own real and different set of issues, without question, but we are talking about make functions here, mfg. and keeping the customers happy within reason of course, and the word of mouth...."BRAND BUILDING"!

My view on this topic.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question