F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Interesting how I was one of the pioneers on the 2015 F-Type that I just traded surrounding this issue with the stereo. In fact I worked with JLRNA on getting it understood, fixed etc., and they did just that for me, then the fix came out of the UK with the Styrofoam.

I now have the 2nd half build 770W system on the R AWD, and pushed it pretty hard yesterday with classic rock, acoustic etc., and not a problem whatsoever in any mode, using bluetooth streaming. I figured that if bluetooth could handle it, then it could only get better with CD, or USB etc.

Not sure of the intermit. problem here, but it has to be the first half of 16 builds back as I know the problem exists and is real. They must have a fix at the factory for the 2nd half 16's forward, as it worked in my car like a charm. I was suspect to this stereo issue, and was in touch with my sales guy at least a half dozen times to assure me that the thing was tested, pushed hard, and will meet my expectations. He assured me as such and was "Spot on"!

Qualification.....this is only with 2.5 hours of push, but I think that is long enough to conclude as to the outcome. I will update if this should change, but I am not happy or should I say lucky to be on the other side of the ledger with the fix from factory yielding a decent result in the stereo dept.

Good luck to those trying to seek resolution, as this is the most frustrating thing when you like good engine sound and complimentary good audio sound as well.
What dates correspond to the 2nd half builds you're referring to? My build date was 27-Nov-2015, so they hadn't fixed it then.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
What dates correspond to the 2nd half builds you're referring to? My build date was 27-Nov-2015, so they hadn't fixed it then.
My understanding is January forward.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
This is exactly what I've wondered - tweeter signal going to midrange, and midrange signal going to tweeters. If I could figure out how to take the door card off, I might hook up a spectrum analyzer to see what's actually going to each speaker.
Cambo's explanation sounds like a plausible scenario, combined with poorly fitted speakers. If the problem is solved by the forum brain trust, maybe we can back charge JLR.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
This is exactly what I've wondered - tweeter signal going to midrange, and midrange signal going to tweeters. If I could figure out how to take the door card off, I might hook up a spectrum analyzer to see what's actually going to each speaker.
The way these amps works seems unusual to me, like I mentioned before.

XF rear right tweeter is F-Type front right midrange (pins 7 & 15)
XF front left tweeter is F-Type front right tweeter (pins 3 & 11)
XF rear right bass is F-Type rear right mid/tweeter (pins 8 & 16)

And so on...

Same amp is used in the XF, XJ, F-Type, Evoque, LR2, etc...

So far I only looked at the wiring between the XF and the 2014 F-Type, if I have time I will cross check with the Evoque as well. Because I just put an amp that came out of a wrecked Evoque into a 2014 F-Type https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...rround-163999/ and it sounds great, and I never updated the software in the amp, it's the same software as when it was in the Evoque.

How can this be if the speaker outputs are on different channels out of the amp? The amp must get the channel assignments from the IAM (head unit) of the particular car and it's sent over the MOST network to the amp?

I don't know, but that would be my guess now, it's in the software of the IAM, not the AAM (amp).

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo my amp was replaced by my dealer in an attempt to fix rattle, buzz, etc. No real improvement until I dumbed down the bass setting. I think yourtheories are more probable given other info presented on the forum, particularly the guys that tweaked the head unit for one of members.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Cambo my amp was replaced by my dealer in an attempt to fix rattle, buzz, etc. No real improvement until I dumbed down the bass setting. I think yourtheories are more probable given other info presented on the forum, particularly the guys that tweaked the head unit for one of members.
This does make sense as you state. Dumbing down the base is a band aid on a cut, vs. the theories presented. Why would the base system in the XJL 2014 sound so incredible, vs. the F-Type woes? Has to be software related and a glitch that if fixed could save Jaguar a lot of $$$$.

Good hypothesis here, and hopefully it gets proven out.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi everyone

I just picked up a base model F Type with premium package and upgraded stereo system a week ago and can add my vehicle to the list of problem systems. The sound quality is awful in my opinion. I listen to primarily hard rock and have to turn the bass almost all the way down in order to be able to minimize the rattling and buzzing. Then the sound is so tinny that I just keep the volume to a minimum. It's very frustrating.

Then this morning I figured I would give a CD a try for the first time. The first (brand new) CD I used played for a few seconds, then started to skip and after a minute or so I received a message on the screen of "Mechanism Error". I can't get it to play or even eject the disc. What fun.

I emailed my sales advisor yesterday to let him know about the issue but have not heard back yet. This was from Park Place Jaguar in Plano TX.

David

Old 06-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks pharonick!

Your leg work confirms what i have stated in my most recent post (after my second visit to the dealer, who had the car for almost a month total), i am confident i could recreate the issues i am having in any f-type, by using the same songs/music sources. every loaner i have had (f-type) has had the same issues. this is simply the inferior design of the system.

music type and source/quality drives the difference.

Like you, i prefer R&B, Hip Hop, Rap (heavier bass), so the songs you mention are right in line with what makes my system sound horrible. Those that have reported no problems, and have cited the music styles, seem to like more acoustic, or rock...where there will be less pronounced bass.

Yup...the system is what the system is. It's really too bad that it was poorly designed, but more so that Jaguar has failed in their handling of the situation (customer/brand service).

I still love the car, but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth...

Old 06-10-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Arbitration clause...

Old 06-11-2016, 06:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kicking the car...

Originally Posted by DJS

If this is the case, I really hope the JLRNA people are following/reading this thread or at least lurk instead of sell, sell and sell. My car is with them for the second time and this coming Tuesday will be exactly one month on their kick the car down the road lot. At this point, I don't know what to think because everyone from the car dealership's head honchos (Aristocrat Motors in KS, MO), the service writers, down to the totem seem to have no idea and basically sanitizing their hands. Furthermore, the second dealership in another city is kicking the car down the road, too, because their "engineer from headquarter" was supposed to be coming/looking hands on but failed show up at all...a week now.
I've swallowed more expletives than Lebron on last night's game

Old 06-12-2016, 04:07 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NTAV
If this is the case, I really hope the JLRNA people are following/reading this thread or at least lurk instead of sell, sell and sell. My car is with them for the second time and this coming Tuesday will be exactly one month on their kick the car down the road lot. At this point, I don't know what to think because everyone from the car dealership's head honchos (Aristocrat Motors in KS, MO), the service writers, down to the totem seem to have no idea and basically sanitizing their hands. Furthermore, the second dealership in another city is kicking the car down the road, too, because their "engineer from headquarter" was supposed to be coming/looking hands on but failed show up at all...a week now.
I've swallowed more expletives than Lebron on last night's game
The social media team is limited to taking your car details and pointing you at your dealer. JLR hides behind its dealers. The senior executives hide behind their Customer Services team. Its a very broken system of hierarchy which we all know every modern company dies by today. Unfortunately it takes so long for poor performance to trickle down as impact to a company's bottom line before management get fired. Volkswagen is probably the only exception, but that required a multi-billion situation to occur. Poor customer experience will take a car cycle 6-8 years for JLR to realise that all the conquest wins with F-Type will switch away in their next cycle. Meanwhile, some executive somewhere will try to create a plausible excuse as to why it happened. To be fair, this type of business denial happens in so many organisations of differing industries every day.

This story has been running for nearly 3 years. Nothing about this attitude has changed in this time. For those of us who tried several cars, they all have the same problem. It took JLR 2-years to issue a TSB and even now that half-hearted attempt at creating a fix does not provide total confidence. Even new cars are reporting the issue.

Maybe the facelift car might finally sort it; but I imagine most of the engineering budget has gone into the 4-cylinder engine placement that is rumoured.

Car industry disruption is starting to happen and Jaguar will feel the impact;
- Tesla and Volvo will redefine customer experience.
- Apple will redefine upper/mainstream
- Sports cars is a small market, so impact here will come last

Old 06-12-2016, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't the dealer back charge JLR for multiple attempted fixes that don't work? Aren't they paying for that now?

Old 06-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't heard from FeralSVR lately. Have you thrown in the towel?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Haven't heard from FeralSVR lately. Have you thrown in the towel?
Hey Jaguny,

Not for one moment. I'm working a few backchannels that I'm hoping will yield positive results...

The following 2 users liked this post by FeralSVR:
jaguny (06-19-2016), slojotaa (06-18-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
Hey Jaguny,

Not for one moment. I'm working a few backchannels that I'm hoping will yield positive results...

Having gone through this agony with my 2015 F-Type S, and dynomat fixing 80% of it (would have been 100% but the dampening effect was noticeable), and now having a new 2016 R with 95% stereo satisfaction without the dynomat and factory fix, I have a hypothesis.

Some folks talked about the software being the issue, and the crossover settings. This may be correct, and I am intrigued by all of this. Although I am now one of the luckier ones with satisfaction, it doesn't extinguish my desire to hear the "real issue", and the "real fix". If software, wouldn't Meridian and Jaguar have a relatively cost efficient fix if the software is corrected? Just using top of mind common sense, but thoughts? I really think the software could be the culprit here.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know that JLR is working on the problem. Does JLR have auto audio engineers who have been given this problem to solve? Have Meridian technical/engineers been given the problem to solve? Our problems may not have made it out of the customer service complaint box, if there is one. At JLR how does a problem get elevated to the point the engineers are asked to intervene and solve?
Could be a contract dispute between Meridian/JLR as to whose problem this is.

Agree with you the culprit is likely the processor with some poor installation thrown in for good measure. Wouldn't think it can't be solved if the techies are allowed to engage. What's a processor replacement cost?
I work with building systems and have a current experience with a product application that the corporate legal/liability mucky mucks won't let the technical staff try to solve. Could be our case here. Cost to JLR to fix doesn't pan out on paper or they just won't believe there is a real problem.

No answers just questions.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:47 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Good morning,

Thank you for your posts.

I am sorry that you appear to be frustrated with the Meridian Sound System in your vehicles.

I can confirm, we have processes in place to ensure any quality concerns are reported back to Jaguar Land Rover in the appropriate way. Should you feel your vehicle has a manufacturing defect, I would recommend booking your vehicle into your preferred retail for further investigations.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to send me a PM with the following and I can look into this:

Name
VIN
Vehicle registration
Preferred retailer
Email address
Telephone number

Many thanks,

Lucy

FeralSVR (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC@Jaguar
Good morning,

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to send me a PM with the following and I can look into this:

Lucy
I went through the JLR 'social rep' that was on Jaguar Forums that noted the same as yourself. While I appreciate your efforts, my experience with JLR Customer care was not positive. I was passed to the JLR CC regional rep who then over an almost 2 month period calling me weekly and saying that he tried to call the Jaguar Service manager and had not received a reply. Finally 5 weeks in he says that he spoke with an assistant manager who said okay to fixing the issue. I received no call from Jaguar and mentioned this to the rep. The rep then called a week later saying that he spoke with the service manager who said they didn't hear an issue and will not repair the issue. I sat with the technician for 20 minutes and he heard the issue and the service writer said they would take care of it (which I had explained many times to the rep). At this point the JLR rep said there was nothing else he could do since the service manager said they wouldn't fix it. This run-around is something that would make me seriously consider not buying a Jaguar next time. I love the car, but a big part of owning a car is a dependable and trustworthy service department. Fearing taking your car to service is no way to gain brand loyalty.

The following 2 users liked this post by 355rockit:
FeralSVR (06-20-2016), slojotaa (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default a

My '16F is in the shop for the 8th time since January over the 770W issue. They've tried just about everything. But, no matter what they do, they never remedy the reverb and distortion. Always sounds like the front speakers are overloaded to me. My service manager finally asked me today -- do you know what third party solutions have been done to fix the crossover issue? So, I turn to any of you, and thank you for any information you can share.

Last edited by Whirlinturbin; 06-20-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: a
FeralSVR (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Dear Lucy,
Lip service, I'm afraid. My dealer is clear in stating they want to fix the issue for me, having already replaced the amp, but need help from JLR/Meridian to identify a viable fix. Why can't JLR step in and resolve this? I had my car at a euro based auto car show on display and many people loved the car with interest in buying one, but when I mentioned the stereo., they asked why the manufacturer hadn't presented a fix. I didn't have a good answer. Needless to say they weren't impressed with that kind of service. If the water pumps were failing wouldn't they fix that problem? Why is this so difficult- Whirlinturbin has been in 8 times!!!!!!!!!! With No Resolution. You can be of further service........Please have JLR change their approach on this.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguny:
355rockit (06-20-2016), FeralSVR (06-20-2016)

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question