Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Am I the original owner? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/am-i-original-owner-214191/)

Misujerr 02-19-2019 02:27 PM

Am I the original owner?

Hey all, been along time since I've posted. Hope that you all are doing well.
Took my car in to the dealer this morning for two year service. First they tried to charge me $855 for it (!!) No, I have five years service included. Then they thought I had a CPO. No, I bought it HERE NEW. They say manufacture records said it was first sold in September 2016 and I bought it February 2017. WTF? I bought a new car and it says so on the purchase order.
They are looking into it now. The in-service date on the service order is of the day that I bought it.
Could just be a input mistake as they said. Should I be worried? Maybe have them print me up a Carfax? What should I check to make sure that I am the original owner?
Thanks!

Mahjik 02-19-2019 02:57 PM

I don't think you need to be worried, but I would pay for my own Carfax and get the report immediately rather than waiting for them.

scm 02-19-2019 03:10 PM

How many miles on it when you took delivery?

Jaggyx 02-19-2019 03:13 PM

Livermore?

sov211 02-19-2019 03:46 PM

It is not Carfax you need. Ask your dealer to print out for you the file named DEALER DIRECT WARRANTY. This is a 3-4 page file which lists EVERYTHING about your car from the factory equipment on it to in-service date, warranty details, key codes and all other component codes, everything. This is the official Jaguar record of your car and it will settle any doubt.It also lists recall actions and TSBs performed, updates, the service record...very valuable for you and future stewards of this car. Do not let them tell you that they cannot give you this file; they can. I have had it for every one of my Jaguars, always happily provided by my dealer service rep.

Suaro 02-19-2019 04:08 PM

Strange things happen around auto dealerships. Cars get titled, or semi-titled, or placed in service under circumstances that boggle the mind. Usually the wrinkle is caused by incentives or bonus goals or some other dealer/manufacturer scheme. It is normally transparent to the real first user, until an issue comes up with the placed in service date or other warranty issue. Please keep us posted.

Misujerr 02-19-2019 04:17 PM

Most excellent, I knew I could count on you folks! Thank you so much for your help again!

NavyBlue 02-19-2019 04:36 PM

Same thing happened to me.
Although I bought vehicle brand new with only 23 miles on odo, I later found out that the dealer has already "punched" the vehicle & put it into service a year earlier, & that the 5 yr warranty & 5 yr maint already started a year earlier. I called Jaguar USA HQ & called back to complained to the general manager. He tried to give me the "we gave a great deal at $xxx off..." I told him I will further escalate complaint, he then calls back to give me a 2 extra years of Jaguar extended warranty (1 extra year net for me), although I lose the first year's maint service. Still a mystery to me where my R spent the first year of its life....

jaguny 02-19-2019 06:00 PM

NavyBlue; Likely the first year was spent right at the dealership. Mine was also purchased by the dealership n November of the year before I bought it (April) I think it had 37 miles or so, but my dealer told me this pre-purchase, but I had already knew of this possibility as I asked and knew additional discount was available. It was built in October of the previous year if I recall, so not really much of any opportunity for a lot of test drives with winter coming. They also didn't offer it up for test drives on a whim either.

Queen and Country 02-20-2019 12:28 PM

This is as confusing as father's day in my neighborhood.

Misujerr 02-20-2019 03:07 PM

LOL Queen and Country :icon_razz:
Sorry scm, I didn't see your post till now. I just looked it up, 139 mi! Jeez, what was I thinking??
Thanks again sov211 for the excellent advice. Sorry I was so short yesterday, was doing everything by phone...
No word back from the dealer yet, will let y'all know.

Lani Kai 02-21-2019 12:40 PM

I didn't buy my F-Type new, but when I bought my GTI a few years ago there was a form as part of the purchase agreement acknowledging the odometer reading and date of purchase that would serve as the starting point for the warranty, e.g. if there were 20 miles on the odometer when you take delivery the warranty would be good for XXXXX + 20 miles, or X years from the date indicated.

Misujerr 02-21-2019 03:20 PM

Halp! Just got the car back, there is definitely some shenanigans going on here. The direct dealer warranty (thanks sov211!) says it was sold 9/30/2016, CPO sold date 2/5/2017.
The Carfax says sold 2/4/17, which is the date I bought it. Then Carfax says sold as CPO 2/5/17. I was not involved in or had any knowledge of that transaction. This something they did without my knowledge. But the sales mgr (not general mgr though) said, hey, I have a year (actually eight months) and 40K miles extra now, isn't that great?? Yaaaa. No. I'm not going to keep it that long anyway.
It doesn't affect me right now, but it will when I go to sell it, right? I am at a loss as to what compensation I should ask for, or if I should.
Thanks for any help offered.

jaguny 02-21-2019 05:03 PM

It appears that your dealership did not represent the car correctly. If it had a CPO that definitely should have been disclosed along with the actual in service date. So, I assume CAFAX shows two owners; the dealership and you? If there were no other owners, then essentially you did buy a new car, just not on paper. Mine is the same, but I consider it new. It did not have the CPO warranty. Dealer wanted anther $1100 for that. Pursuing some legal action may not net you anything and cost you money. You can pursue remediation through JLR. A further extended warranty may be in order, and finding another dealership to deal with.

If you had known what you know now at time of purchase would you have bought the car? What price difference would you have expected?

Queen and Country 02-21-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Misujerr (Post 2030637)
I am at a loss as to what compensation I should ask for, or if I should.

The damages you have suffered are black and white.
The difference in value between a 1owner car and a 2owner car.

There is a reason they are giving you a little something...its because they owe you a lot more.
Heck you could even have the sale voided on grounds of deceit. And your purchase price refunded. I would start the bargain there- watch how they start offering you way more.

Jaggyx 02-22-2019 01:27 PM

They did represent the car incorrectly, so I'd be a bit firm with them.

Queen and Country 02-22-2019 01:46 PM

I think in the eyes of the law, a error like that is called fraud.
Just pay a lemon law attorney $500 and get a letter. It will be worth its weight in gold.
They dont have a leg to stand on.
Get $8000 back, or they can buy the car back, as JLR would do in a lemon law case.

Misujerr 02-23-2019 03:50 PM

Hi, sorry, just getting back to this now. jaguny have had a lotta fun with it so not sure what I would have done looking back, but it definitely would have been a factor. My WAG (wild-ass guess) is that it is worth maybe $5000 less now? But I do like Queen and Country's number of $8,000 :D
I have spoken to some local F-Type owners who said it wouldn't have been a big factor in their decision making, so maybe I am making a bigger deal of it than it need to be. But they did misrepresent the car, it is fraud, and that ain't right...
Thanks again all!

NavyBlue 02-23-2019 04:45 PM

I'm pretty sure in their fine print contract, they'll be protected to be not a complete fraud.
But It's certainly misrepresentation & shady sales practices.
I thought I was buying a brand new vehicle with 23 miles on odo, with brand new warranty & maintenance that starts on that purchase date.
But since I got $27K off the sticker, & they extended my 5 yr warranty to 7 yrs, I'm sorta OK with it...

Queen and Country 02-23-2019 05:09 PM

No fine print can inoculate against real damage done.
If that was the case Bernie Madoff could have put fine print that read 'your investment is secured and dependent on future generations putting more money in, like social security'

Look it another way- the dealer has umpteen ways of getting $8k out of you in the long run, why not offset it?