F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone change out the Hood Lovers/Roll Bar/Side Vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default anyone change out the Hood Lovers/Roll Bar/Side Vents

Just bought a F-type being delivered next week that has the silver SIDE VENTS & ROLL BARS and the standard ugly HOOD LOUVERS and want to change them all out for the gloss black ones.

I love the "HOW TO" area that shows you on this site, BUT wanting to know if anyone HAS DONE IT and if it is worth doing myself. on the sediments and hood louvers it looks like you should open the door and hood or maybe i am just not understanding it?

My dealers said it would cost $165 to do the Hood Louvers
$165 to do the Side Vents and $330 to do the Roll Bars

any help would be helpful

Old 04-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Are those dealer-quoted prices for the part and labor or just labor?

The hood vents look fairly easy to do - appear to have some sort of pressure clips when you open the hood. don't know about the others.

You might consider only changing out 1 or 2 of the items to black and leave the others as-is (might look cool) ............in any event good luck!

Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 PM

dealer price to install

Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

The hood vents are pretty straight forward. They are pressure clips. I would just buy the parts and do it yourself.

Sidevents are a different story. If you go by the instructions in the shop manual, you have drill the original vents to get them out to install the new ones. This is short of removing the fender to gain access to the clips that hold it in place.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis

Sidevents are a different story. If you go by the instructions in the shop manual, you have drill the original vents to get them out to install the new ones. This is short of removing the fender to gain access to the clips that hold it in place.
I recall that you can also do it from insider the fender. Search the threads for that discussion. It sounded like the better way to proceed.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
I recall that you can also do it from insider the fender. Search the threads for that discussion. It sounded like the better way to proceed.
Yup I saw that. Just quoting the shop manual.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I changed my hood louvers, side vents, mirror covers, and console trim to carbon fiber awhile back.

Here are the instructions I provided in a previous thread for the hood louvers and side vents.

Side vent install: Lift the hood, open the door, mask off the area all around side vent (top & bottom) to prevent any possible scratches... Insert a trim removal tool at the top, center of the vent and with some force, begin prying the tool back along the top of the vent. The top clips will pop off without breaking. This will not dent the aluminum... It's very rigid at the top and behind the vent. Slide the trim removal tool down farther behind the vent while pulling it forward to snap off the bottom clips... most of them will break off (unless you were to pry from the bottom up, don't do this as it would inevitably damage your paint or possibly dent your fender). The vents aren't worth saving anyway and are the least expensive type to purchase if you ever wanted to go back.

The replacement vent then snaps right on with no issues.

The hood louvers are much easier: Lift the hood, push the clips in toward the center of the vent and they pop right off. The clips will not break and these can be saved. Just make sure you hold the vent on the opposite side of the hood so it doesn't pop off, slide down the open hood and scratch the paint.

I replaced all of my pieces in less than an hour.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 PM

thats saves me about 300.00 NOW how about that rollover bar ??
one dealer said they had to take off the convertible top about 5-6 hours and the other dealer said 2 hours ($330) the instruction guid on this forum looked like it is about 1 hour to do yourself and just a lot of screwing and bolting nothing too hard but I was hoping to find someone that has done it to give the real story in doing it

thanx again

Old 04-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Had hood louvres, mirror caps, center console, and roll over hoops changed. Dealer charged me about $120 for the hoops, they broke one of the black hoops that was on originally. The instructions that were included with the hoops do not show the top to be removed but the wind shot if you do have one.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
I changed my hood louvers, side vents, mirror covers, and console trim to carbon fiber awhile back.

Here are the instructions I provided in a previous thread for the hood louvers and side vents.

Side vent install: Lift the hood, open the door, mask off the area all around side vent (top & bottom) to prevent any possible scratches... Insert a trim removal tool at the top, center of the vent and with some force, begin prying the tool back along the top of the vent. The top clips will pop off without breaking. This will not dent the aluminum... It's very rigid at the top and behind the vent. Slide the trim removal tool down farther behind the vent while pulling it forward to snap off the bottom clips... most of them will break off (unless you were to pry from the bottom up, don't do this as it would inevitably damage your paint or possibly dent your fender). The vents aren't worth saving anyway and are the least expensive type to purchase if you ever wanted to go back.

The hood louvers are much easier: Lift the hood, push the clips in toward the center of the vent and they pop right off. The clips will not break and these can be saved. Just make sure you hold the vent on the opposite side of the hood so it doesn't pop off, slide down the open hood and scratch the paint.

I replaced all of my pieces in less than an hour.
Could you post pics of your interior carbon upgrade?

Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

It's not the hood lovers that bother me so much - I mean, kids will be kids - it's that oily residue they leave behind. At least, I think its oil.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Could you just plasti-dip them?

I have pics of the hood, side vent, roll bar and interior done in real carbon fiber if anyone wants to see them - my car was built this way. Some of the pics are in the pics thread but I can post all of them here if you want.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Could you post pics of your interior carbon upgrade?
Those can be found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...onsole-146162/

I took them off the '15 Base when I sold it and added them back on my '16 R when I got it. Very simple installation.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You could get them professionally vinyl wrapped for about $100-150 I'm guessing.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul V

Have a 23 jaguar fpace svr..the rear hatch opens on occasion when I start the vehicle..anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Dealer claims they've never had an issue like this in the past?

Old 06-13-2023, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul V
Have a 23 jaguar fpace svr..the rear hatch opens on occasion when I start the vehicle..anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Dealer claims they've never had an issue like this in the past?
I recommend deleting your post here and starting a new thread in the F-Pace forum.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:19 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul V
Anything where you park that could be triggering the gesture tailgate (assuming you have one)?

Old 06-14-2023, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 jaguar fpace svr unwanted hatch self opening

Originally Posted by scm
Anything where you park that could be triggering the gesture tailgate (assuming you have one)?
Vehicle is parked in a garage..garage has an electric door opener...don't think the garage door opener would interfere with my car hatch opening as I've had numerous jaguar sedan models that this never happened with before..
This only happens in the when I first start the vehicle not anytime later..?

Old 06-14-2023, 02:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had all the chrome on my F Type wrapped in gloss black ppl or satin black vinyl. Basically the front grille, window trim edges, and side 'Jaguar' panels. Not a speck of chrome on the car anywhere now. Haha.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:22 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

I did have the vents on my previous SVR painted gloss back and I may do something similar to my new R to give more contrast to the long hood.