F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coronavirus and driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Coronavirus and driving

Hi forum members, during this time of self distancing, no restaurants self quarantine, we have the perfect escape: we can get in our cars and drive them like we stole them. We are following all the rules, self distance, no more than 10 people, maybe just two, and when we gas up for the next drive, we pump our own gas. At this critical time I can enjoy a great jag, great scenery and decompress from all the news.
Frank my16 s coupe.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Agree completely. I’m out in mine every day for the past week. I know I can outrun the virus! I keep a wipe for the gas pumps and given the price of fuel dropping I have even more incentive to social distance at “speed”!

Old 03-18-2020, 10:51 AM
Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Lol, you have gas stations that still pump gas for you ?
Just poking, went for a drive yesterday and would estimate traffic to be 50% of normal, so at least one positive from all this.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
... at least one positive from all this.
Here in the UK, I've just learnt that the BBC is cutting the number of episodes per week of one of its dreadful soaps, so another positive!

Old 03-18-2020, 01:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

France, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy, Spain .... you must have a reason to leave your home. If you have no paper for this, will cost you minimum a full gasoil refill.
And I bet, USA will also come to this. This bug is ugly and spread alot, and now also amount of younger people in emergency treatment. BMW stop production, also
Goodyear and no open service apart gasoil. I am not so sure that under this circumstances F-Type is the right car to pull attention of the cops.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Can someone explain to me why Governments are voluntarily destroying their economies? This disease appears to have no fatal impact on anyone under the age of 60 (unless their health is otherwise compromised) and the elderly should take responsibility for their own welfare by taking the necessary steps (self quarantine, etc.) to reduce their risk until a vaccine is delivered. The lives of a few hundred thousand geezers that might perish (me included) aren’t worth destroying the economic future of generations to come. This is another example of baby-boomer selfishness.

(Damn, where did I put those meds?)

The following 9 users liked this post by Unhingd:
89 Jacobra (03-18-2020), Arne (03-19-2020), Finman (03-20-2020), Jayt2 (03-18-2020), malbec (03-19-2020), scm (03-19-2020), Tp10XKR (03-18-2020), TXFireblade (03-18-2020), XJ8JR (03-19-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Can someone explain to me why Governments are voluntarily destroying their economies? This disease appears to have no fatal impact on anyone under the age of 60 (unless their health is otherwise compromised) and the elderly should take responsibility for their own welfare by taking the necessary steps (self quarantine, etc.) to reduce their risk until a vaccine is delivered. The lives of a few hundred thousand geezers that might perish (me included) aren’t worth destroying the economic future of generations to come. This is another example of baby-boomer selfishness.

Oh really.

So just when do you think a vaccine will be produced and deliverable in mass quantity?

Do not forget the last case of SARS was in 2014 and still no vaccine.

Covid-19 is very similar to SARS in that is shares 80% of its genetic make up.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:57 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

Because they need a reason to bail out all the companies/banks that spent all their cash on stock buy backs or otherwise made stupid business decisions fully expecting a bailout if things went south. Privatizing profits and socializing losses - business as usual.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Oh really.

So just when do you think a vaccine will be produced and deliverable in mass quantity?

Do not forget the last case of SARS was in 2014 and still no vaccine.

Covid-19 is very similar to SARS in that is shares 80% of its genetic make up.
Ok, let’s suppose no vaccine in the next 2 years. Solution: shut down all industry and let the world revert to the stone ages? I think not. It’s better to let the aging take their chances, myself among them. Besides, this would resolve the social security shortfall.

Fights have already broken out in my local grocery store over water. (Tap water is in abundant supply, for crying out loud.). Civilization is already starting to unravel.

Let’s be reasonable about this.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
89 Jacobra (03-18-2020), J444G (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 03:25 PM

As they found out, more and more jounger (except children that just spread) fall heavily ill. Thats one point. But worser if you read about the 1918 spanish flu,
it was coming back in second wave that was absolutely deadly in a few hours. So this beast that mostly eliminate fossiles may mutate and just let survive those
that are too young for a F-Type driver licence. In this case, some people would be happy, but just in about 20 years. But as nobody will be alive to care for the
infrastructure, there will be alot of F-Types parking before caverns.

Last edited by Cleantex; 03-18-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Ok, let’s suppose no vaccine in the next 2 years. Solution: shut down all industry and let the world revert to the stone ages? I think not. It’s better to let the aging take their chances, myself among them. Besides, this would resolve the social security shortfall.

Fights have already broken out in my local grocery store over water. (Tap water is in abundant supply, for crying out loud.). Civilization is already starting to unravel.

China has handled this pretty well and is past the peak of infections unless of course there is a 2nd wave.

Time will tell.

In the mean time perhaps I should buy a gun.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Banned
Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

China has handled this pretty well and is past the peak of infections unless of course there is a 2nd wave.

Time will tell.

I seriously doubt you could pass a background check--at least I hope you couldn't.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Banned
Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

I declare you much too reasoned to join this discussion.

The following users liked this post:
TXFireblade (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 03:56 PM

Good luck with that. Lots of gun stores are getting sold out and ammo is getting hard to buy in some places. The background check system is really backlogged due to panic buying- several days in some places.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:57 PM

I think the efforts for vaccine are heavy, 2 labs are on the front, Moderna in US and CureVac in Germany with genetic recomposition and not usual approach with dead virus material.
If you look the news, just today 50 people was shot with Moderna experimental vaccine. So sure it will be speeded up. But anyway parallel research for medicamentation is on the way. Just important to survive till this moment. Anyway the climatic pollution catch a healthy push from our habits.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Good luck with that. Lots of gun stores are getting sold out and ammo is getting hard to buy in some places. The background check system is really backlogged due to panic buying- several days in some places.
I cannot understand the relation in US concerning panic shopping of toilet paper and guns. Do this people make their powder at home from cellulose ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Cleantex:
Unhingd (03-18-2020), XJ8JR (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Natural Selection at work.
Mother Nature culling the herd...
So what's global population of 7.? Billion, minus +/- 100,000 ?
Less global warming...

Old 03-18-2020, 04:07 PM
Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

The panic is/will do far more damage than the virus.
Yes people will die, yes it’s not fair, yes it could get far worse but for F##k Sake people need to calm down and realize that freaking out and endless speculating about what might happen is only going to make things worse.
Me, I have taken what I consider reasonable precautions and will attempt to carry on as normally as the rest of the population will allow. If people become unreasonable and threatening then there will be a lot of lead poisoning in Texas.

The following 2 users liked this post by madmax1911:
89 Jacobra (03-18-2020), XJ8JR (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cleantex
I cannot understand the relation in US concerning panic shopping of toilet paper and guns. Do this people make their powder at home from cellulose ?
Don't understand the toilet paper thing either. Probably not a good idea to nitrate toilet paper to make nitrocellulose.

People are buying guns because they are panicking. When seconds count the police are only minutes away. When cities in the US like Philadelphia start saying they won't jail people for non violent crimes (burglary, narcotics, prostitution, etc.) because of coronavirus people start to realize the police can't/won't protect them.

Last edited by RGPV6S; 03-18-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Me, I have taken what I consider reasonable precautions and will attempt to carry on as normally as the rest of the population will allow. If people become unreasonable and threatening then there will be a lot of lead poisoning in Texas.
Nothing like a hot lead injection to make unreasonable and threatening people to decide to go away.

Quick Reply: Coronavirus and driving