F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best model year and why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best model year and why?

I'm currently in the market for a F-Type and wanted to know which one was the best or if they're all relatively the same.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Go for a 2016 Project 7.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Go for a 2016 Project 7.
+1

Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,305 Posts

While certain features vary from year to year, the overall body styling (gorgeous), interior, and engine availability has remained pretty constant (but the smallest engine is now a 4 cylinder unit rated at almost 300 hp). The sweet spot seems to be the 380 hp supercharged V6. A 6 speed manual was introduced in 2015 (and the early clutch units had problems) but the most common transmission is the superb ZF 8 speed with paddle shifters. Every one of the cars is very fast; the V8 version (in various tunes) is blisteringly so. The exhaust sound runs from addictive to annoying (the crackles and pops, favoured by some).
Your question suggests a concern for reliability. These are very reliable cars in all years (the early clutch issue is to be noted, and there have been some fuel injector issues as well). The best answer is that there is no model year that you should avoid. Find an F-Type with the right equipment for you (and the vision package is highly recommended) and you will quickly find out why people love these beautiful sports cars. But they are sports cars, not family cars so your expectations have to be realistic. A few have bought a base model with no options and then (unreasonably IMO) complained that the cars were lacking certain features; but most of them are well equipped and many have virtually every possible option, so look carefully. Because they are sports cars, they have somewhat restricted luggage room (the convertible especially - the coupe is entirely adequate in this regard). The cabin is beautifully designed and in full leather it is simply sumptuous.
Colour choice is subjective but Jaguar has a stunning palette...the standard colours were white, black and red...but beyond those the optional colour choices were exquisite -and colour makes a huge difference in the way the car looks.

The following users liked this post:
jnanh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a 2015 S vert that is very clean, fully loaded with about 24 000kms. Warranty for 2 more years or about 140 000 kms.

Automatic.

Might be for sale.

Before you ask yes I am looking at another one.

if interested let me know.

jnanh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

2016 - last year of the rwd v8 coupe

jnanh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

The F-Type is an outstanding car and there is a reasonable line of logic for several versions:

2014 Vert to have the original.
V8 RWD because it's extinct.
V8 AWD because you like the V8 power, but want some control around that power.
V6 RWD because it's the right balance of power (my personal choice).
V6-S if you're lazy and happy enough with the factory tune.
Basic tune if want a cheaper enter point - especially if you are creative and want to get a tune.
(If so, go older and don't worry about voiding the warranty.)
Newer if you want the security of a warranty.
New if you want the latest ICTP system with Car Play and don't mind the front-end depreciation.
Project 7 if you have a quiet garage for the collection and something else to drive 99% of the time.

Good luck!

Last edited by uncheel; 02-07-2019 at 07:57 PM.
jnanh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
The F-Type is an outstanding car and there is a reasonable line of logic for several versions:

2014 Vert to have the original.
V8 RWD because it's extinct.
V8 AWD because you like the V8 power, but want some control around that power.
V6 RWD because it's the right balance of power (my personal choice).
V6-S if you're lazy and happy enough with the factory tune.
Basic tune if want a cheaper enter point - especially if you are creative and want to get a tune.
(If so, go older and don't worry about voiding the warranty.)
Newer if you want the security of a warranty.
New if you want the latest ICTP system with Car Play and don't mind the front-end depreciation.
Project 7 if you have a quiet garage for the collection and something else to drive 99% of the time.

Good luck!
Word.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

2014 V8 S RWD or 2015 V8 R RWD Convertibles

With only RWD, they are the fastest most vicious F-Types ever made. Even with a tire upgrade they have more HP than rubber. There is no difference between '14 and '15 dispite Jag's more conservative rating on the 2014. Both dyno ~500 WHP stock (about 50 more WHP than an SVR AWD and 100 lbs lighter).

The launch car is the one to have but it is almost impossible to find:

V8 S RWD Convertible
Firesand w/black lipstick and side vents
Entended leather w/orange stitching
Black Cyclone wheels

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-07-2019 at 09:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JIMLIGHTA:
David Meier (11-08-2019), jnanh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA
2014 V8 S RWD or 2015 V8 R RWD Convertibles

With only RWD, they are the fastest most vicious F-Types ever made. Even with a tire upgrade they have more HP than rubber. There is no difference between '14 and '15 dispite Jag's more conservative rating on the 2014. Both dyno ~500 WHP stock (about 50 more WHP than an SVR AWD and 100 lbs lighter).

V8 S RWD Convertible
Black Cyclone wheels

https://youtu.be/gTLCf_KCsI8

Can you please explain most vicious? Is that a way to describe a car that it's quite easy to get out of composure?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the informative replies. Its obvious everyone here loves their ftype

Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
I have a 2015 S vert that is very clean, fully loaded with about 24 000kms. Warranty for 2 more years or about 140 000 kms.

Automatic.

Might be for sale.

Before you ask yes I am looking at another one.

if interested let me know.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the private message button.

If you can could you drop me a pm/dm

Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FType17
Can you please explain most vicious? Is that a way to describe a car that it's quite easy to get out of composure?
Vicious is wheel spin, smoking tires, and tail wag through 4th gear...

RWD is not dangerous at all, it's been around a long time. You can slide the tail out if you so desire, that doesn't mean you have to, but it is tremendous fun. Humans have control of their own feet.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-07-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

jaguar built the awd for the US market - fact

americans struggle bigly exiting carpark meets with rwd v8's - also fact

american sales account for more than row (though that is now changing with china as the new growth market) so that's why the awd eventually replaced the rwd entirely - for a couple years we could order the v8 in either rwd or awd

Uncle Fishbits (02-28-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

My 2 cents...
For power and noise and excitement, the RWD V8 (pre-16) but it has an awful infotainment if that is a thing for you;
For more usable power and noise, the 16 update AWD V8 - but check on the infotainment as there are two units, one not very good and one which is OK that came later but they both look the same, also the AWD makes it feel weighty at the front;
For noise and the ability to throw the car around, I'd go the 16 and up V6S RWD which is much lighter at the front end, above caveats regarding infotainment apply;
For handling and value for money, P300 (4 potter turbo), in good hands this car is a real weapon but it doesnt sound as good as the V6

jnanh (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by domino_z

american sales account for more than row (though that is now changing with china as the new growth market) so that's why the awd eventually replaced the rwd entirely - for a couple years we could order the v8 in either rwd or awd
I think Jaguar caved to this new happy horseshit that street cars are only about track performance. Thats driven by big dollar magazine sponsors who do not stack up well in raw WHP, so they have to change the test. Particularly the low torque Volkswagon-powered turbos like Lambos, Audis, and Porsches. It's why my AWD Audi rides like a covered wagon.

It's been a very effective strategy. Jag bit.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-07-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z

Well, facts are splendid things, and some facts matter more to others. This is of course why folks on both sides of the RWD/AWD debate have a right to their opinions. But for the OP, here are a few more facts to consider:

Fact: AWD adds about 170+ lbs to an already overweight car, and increases parasitic driveline loss.
Fact: AWD cars have their engines raised 1.5", thereby raising center of gravity, not considered optimal for a sports car.
Fact: AWD cars needed to have the hood bulge raised to accommodate said higher engine placement, which exacerbates the high cowl/hood visibility issues
Opinion: Loser lawyers probably have more to do with the demise of RWD than bad USA drivers, but I'm just guessing.

The debate rages on.......

Dremorg (02-10-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
My 2 cents...
For power and noise and excitement, the RWD V8 (pre-16) but it has an awful infotainment if that is a thing for you;
For more usable power and noise, the 16 update AWD V8 - but check on the infotainment as there are two units, one not very good and one which is OK that came later but they both look the same, also the AWD makes it feel weighty at the front;
For noise and the ability to throw the car around, I'd go the 16 and up V6S RWD which is much lighter at the front end, above caveats regarding infotainment apply;
For handling and value for money, P300 (4 potter turbo), in good hands this car is a real weapon but it doesnt sound as good as the V6
Yeah I've heard the 2016+ models have the newer infotainment system and some come with an app to control parts of your car. I'm a real techie so having a dated infotainment system would be painful.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

everyone rightly focuses on rwd vs awd but 2018 saw other changes that were critically important (to me anyway). the footwell is slightly roomier for my big feet and the seats are more comfortable too.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA

V8 S RWD Convertible
Black Cyclone wheels
That's what I got 😎
And I absolutely love it.

Quick Reply: The best model year and why?