Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   The best model year and why? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/best-model-year-why-213736/)

jnanh 02-07-2019 04:21 PM

The best model year and why?

I'm currently in the market for a F-Type and wanted to know which one was the best or if they're all relatively the same.

Thanks!

sparky fuze 02-07-2019 05:23 PM

Go for a 2016 Project 7.

Suaro 02-07-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by sparky fuze (Post 2024646)
Go for a 2016 Project 7.

+1

sov211 02-07-2019 06:11 PM

While certain features vary from year to year, the overall body styling (gorgeous), interior, and engine availability has remained pretty constant (but the smallest engine is now a 4 cylinder unit rated at almost 300 hp). The sweet spot seems to be the 380 hp supercharged V6. A 6 speed manual was introduced in 2015 (and the early clutch units had problems) but the most common transmission is the superb ZF 8 speed with paddle shifters. Every one of the cars is very fast; the V8 version (in various tunes) is blisteringly so. The exhaust sound runs from addictive to annoying (the crackles and pops, favoured by some).
Your question suggests a concern for reliability. These are very reliable cars in all years (the early clutch issue is to be noted, and there have been some fuel injector issues as well). The best answer is that there is no model year that you should avoid. Find an F-Type with the right equipment for you (and the vision package is highly recommended) and you will quickly find out why people love these beautiful sports cars. But they are sports cars, not family cars so your expectations have to be realistic. A few have bought a base model with no options and then (unreasonably IMO) complained that the cars were lacking certain features; but most of them are well equipped and many have virtually every possible option, so look carefully. Because they are sports cars, they have somewhat restricted luggage room (the convertible especially - the coupe is entirely adequate in this regard). The cabin is beautifully designed and in full leather it is simply sumptuous.
Colour choice is subjective but Jaguar has a stunning palette...the standard colours were white, black and red...but beyond those the optional colour choices were exquisite -and colour makes a huge difference in the way the car looks.

Fjmviper 02-07-2019 06:27 PM

I have a 2015 S vert that is very clean, fully loaded with about 24 000kms. Warranty for 2 more years or about 140 000 kms.

Automatic.

Might be for sale.

Before you ask yes I am looking at another one.

if interested let me know.

domino_z 02-07-2019 07:29 PM

2016 - last year of the rwd v8 coupe

uncheel 02-07-2019 07:41 PM

The F-Type is an outstanding car and there is a reasonable line of logic for several versions:

2014 Vert to have the original.
V8 RWD because it's extinct.
V8 AWD because you like the V8 power, but want some control around that power.
V6 RWD because it's the right balance of power (my personal choice).
V6-S if you're lazy and happy enough with the factory tune.
Basic tune if want a cheaper enter point - especially if you are creative and want to get a tune.
(If so, go older and don't worry about voiding the warranty.)
Newer if you want the security of a warranty.
New if you want the latest ICTP system with Car Play and don't mind the front-end depreciation.
Project 7 if you have a quiet garage for the collection and something else to drive 99% of the time.

Good luck!

Jaggyx 02-07-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel (Post 2024701)
The F-Type is an outstanding car and there is a reasonable line of logic for several versions:

2014 Vert to have the original.
V8 RWD because it's extinct.
V8 AWD because you like the V8 power, but want some control around that power.
V6 RWD because it's the right balance of power (my personal choice).
V6-S if you're lazy and happy enough with the factory tune.
Basic tune if want a cheaper enter point - especially if you are creative and want to get a tune.
(If so, go older and don't worry about voiding the warranty.)
Newer if you want the security of a warranty.
New if you want the latest ICTP system with Car Play and don't mind the front-end depreciation.
Project 7 if you have a quiet garage for the collection and something else to drive 99% of the time.

Good luck!

Word.

JIMLIGHTA 02-07-2019 09:33 PM

2014 V8 S RWD or 2015 V8 R RWD Convertibles

With only RWD, they are the fastest most vicious F-Types ever made. Even with a tire upgrade they have more HP than rubber. There is no difference between '14 and '15 dispite Jag's more conservative rating on the 2014. Both dyno ~500 WHP stock (about 50 more WHP than an SVR AWD and 100 lbs lighter).

The launch car is the one to have but it is almost impossible to find:

V8 S RWD Convertible
Firesand w/black lipstick and side vents
Entended leather w/orange stitching
Black Cyclone wheels

FType17 02-07-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA (Post 2024732)
2014 V8 S RWD or 2015 V8 R RWD Convertibles

With only RWD, they are the fastest most vicious F-Types ever made. Even with a tire upgrade they have more HP than rubber. There is no difference between '14 and '15 dispite Jag's more conservative rating on the 2014. Both dyno ~500 WHP stock (about 50 more WHP than an SVR AWD and 100 lbs lighter).

V8 S RWD Convertible
Black Cyclone wheels

https://youtu.be/gTLCf_KCsI8

Can you please explain most vicious? Is that a way to describe a car that it's quite easy to get out of composure?

jnanh 02-07-2019 10:08 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the informative replies. Its obvious everyone here loves their ftype :)

jnanh 02-07-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fjmviper (Post 2024669)
I have a 2015 S vert that is very clean, fully loaded with about 24 000kms. Warranty for 2 more years or about 140 000 kms.

Automatic.

Might be for sale.

Before you ask yes I am looking at another one.

if interested let me know.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the private message button.

If you can could you drop me a pm/dm

JIMLIGHTA 02-07-2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by FType17 (Post 2024740)
Can you please explain most vicious? Is that a way to describe a car that it's quite easy to get out of composure?

Vicious is wheel spin, smoking tires, and tail wag through 4th gear...
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b2924703da.png
RWD is not dangerous at all, it's been around a long time. You can slide the tail out if you so desire, that doesn't mean you have to, but it is tremendous fun. Humans have control of their own feet.

domino_z 02-07-2019 10:49 PM

jaguar built the awd for the US market - fact

americans struggle bigly exiting carpark meets with rwd v8's - also fact

american sales account for more than row (though that is now changing with china as the new growth market) so that's why the awd eventually replaced the rwd entirely - for a couple years we could order the v8 in either rwd or awd

BruceTheQuail 02-07-2019 11:03 PM

My 2 cents...
For power and noise and excitement, the RWD V8 (pre-16) but it has an awful infotainment if that is a thing for you;
For more usable power and noise, the 16 update AWD V8 - but check on the infotainment as there are two units, one not very good and one which is OK that came later but they both look the same, also the AWD makes it feel weighty at the front;
For noise and the ability to throw the car around, I'd go the 16 and up V6S RWD which is much lighter at the front end, above caveats regarding infotainment apply;
For handling and value for money, P300 (4 potter turbo), in good hands this car is a real weapon but it doesnt sound as good as the V6

JIMLIGHTA 02-07-2019 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z (Post 2024757)

american sales account for more than row (though that is now changing with china as the new growth market) so that's why the awd eventually replaced the rwd entirely - for a couple years we could order the v8 in either rwd or awd

I think Jaguar caved to this new happy horseshit that street cars are only about track performance. Thats driven by big dollar magazine sponsors who do not stack up well in raw WHP, so they have to change the test. Particularly the low torque Volkswagon-powered turbos like Lambos, Audis, and Porsches. It's why my AWD Audi rides like a covered wagon.

It's been a very effective strategy. Jag bit.

Chawumba 02-07-2019 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z (Post 2024757)

Well, facts are splendid things, and some facts matter more to others. This is of course why folks on both sides of the RWD/AWD debate have a right to their opinions. But for the OP, here are a few more facts to consider:

Fact: AWD adds about 170+ lbs to an already overweight car, and increases parasitic driveline loss.
Fact: AWD cars have their engines raised 1.5", thereby raising center of gravity, not considered optimal for a sports car.
Fact: AWD cars needed to have the hood bulge raised to accommodate said higher engine placement, which exacerbates the high cowl/hood visibility issues
Opinion: Loser lawyers probably have more to do with the demise of RWD than bad USA drivers, but I'm just guessing.

The debate rages on.......

jnanh 02-08-2019 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2024760)
My 2 cents...
For power and noise and excitement, the RWD V8 (pre-16) but it has an awful infotainment if that is a thing for you;
For more usable power and noise, the 16 update AWD V8 - but check on the infotainment as there are two units, one not very good and one which is OK that came later but they both look the same, also the AWD makes it feel weighty at the front;
For noise and the ability to throw the car around, I'd go the 16 and up V6S RWD which is much lighter at the front end, above caveats regarding infotainment apply;
For handling and value for money, P300 (4 potter turbo), in good hands this car is a real weapon but it doesnt sound as good as the V6

Yeah I've heard the 2016+ models have the newer infotainment system and some come with an app to control parts of your car. I'm a real techie so having a dated infotainment system would be painful.

uclabrruin1989 02-08-2019 12:03 AM

everyone rightly focuses on rwd vs awd but 2018 saw other changes that were critically important (to me anyway). the footwell is slightly roomier for my big feet and the seats are more comfortable too.

Jst2gtby 02-08-2019 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by JIMLIGHTA (Post 2024732)

V8 S RWD Convertible
Black Cyclone wheels

That's what I got 😎
And I absolutely love it.