F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads, rotors, and tires on leased F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pads, rotors, and tires on leased F-Type

My leased 2017 F-Type V6 Premium just came up with the message that brake pads are worn and need replacement. Being a leased car, do I have to get them replaced exclusively by the Jaguar dealer or can I just get it done at any brakes shop? The dealer checked the car and is quoting me $1,400 for replacing the front brake pads, rotors, and sensors. Is this a fair price?

I also need new rear tires ASAP and fronts in soon. Does Jaguar require OEM tires when returning the vehicle?

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Brake pads were covered under my previous Jag's warranty (2011 XF SC). Not sure that's the case anymore.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

That price is sheer robbery, run away from that dealer as fast as you can!
Firstly it is extremely unlikely the front rotors need replacement, the front rotors and brake pads last twice as long as the rears on modern Jags. In almost all cases and particularly with the fronts the rotors last for two completely worn out sets of pads.
JRL dealerships like to insist that the rotors be replaced at the same time as the pads but this has been proven to be BS, thousands and thousands of owners have changed the pads and retained the existing rotors with zero problems.
Secondly, no warranty or lease problems taking the car to an independent shop to have the brake pads (and sensor) replaced. The sensor is cheap, buy it yourself on-line.
Thirdly, you don't need to use OEM pads there are others available at half the price and waaaaay less dust, again buy them yourself on-line.
If you supply the pads and sensor to a shop and have them install them you should get plenty of change from $300 US all up.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

+1. Highway robbery.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Thanks.

Any suggestions on best site to buy them online or what kind/brand you recommend?

Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Depends what you do with the car and what is important to you. Cheap pads may be noisy and dust a lot, will be fine for street use but brutal at anything even close to racing. Better pads cost more, tend to dust less, can be more noisy, but without trackdays, last pretty long.

Kind of a personal decision on what to get that suits your needs and budget, but at the end of the day, they all stop the car!

Let us know what you want out of it, and I'm sure suggestions will come rolling in

Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM

I'd say, as close to OEM as possible. In my opinion, the stock brakes on the car are pretty good so I'll be fine with anything similar performance-wise. I don't track the car but it is my daily driver and I like to have fun with it.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 499 Likes on 374 Posts

I agree, the stock brakes are quite good (verified at an HPDE), though they DO dust a lot.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

FYI, at my 6-year service (about 50,000 miles), the MPI gave my front pads a green, and rear pads a yellow. Don't think he noted actual pad thickness.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by IntoxicatingSound
I'd say, as close to OEM as possible. In my opinion, the stock brakes on the car are pretty good so I'll be fine with anything similar performance-wise. I don't track the car but it is my daily driver and I like to have fun with it.
Get the Porterfield R4 S pads that Velocity AP sells. IMHO they work just as well and don't have as an aggressive initial bite ( I found it annoying) as the stock pads. They are also almost dust free too.

Many forum members have switched to them because of the stock pad dust issue.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Get the Porterfield R4 S pads that Velocity AP sells. IMHO they work just as well and don't have as an aggressive initial bite ( I found it annoying) as the stock pads. They are also almost dust free too.

Many forum members have switched to them because of the stock pad dust issue.
+1.
Just make sure you get the correct size pads, there are two different front brake sizes fitted to F-Types (ignoring the CCM brakes), 355 mm and 380 mm.
You say you have a 2017 V6 Premium, I have never heard of a "premium" model of F-Type so I don't know what brakes you have. For example the stock front brakes on the "base" model are 355 mm and on the V6S they are 380 mm.
Easiest way to check for sure is to whip a front wheel off and look down the back outer edge of the brake cailper bracket, it will have either 355 or 380 cast into it.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Correct, it's the V6 "Base".

As far as tires, do they require the same ones that came stock with the car (Continental Sport Contact 2)? My lease is through Chase.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IntoxicatingSound
Correct, it's the V6 "Base".

As far as tires, do they require the same ones that came stock with the car (Continental Sport Contact 2)? My lease is through Chase.
Which means you have the 355 mm front brakes.
I have no clues about lease rules but I doubt the lease would require the exact same tyres as came stock.
The general consensus is the best tyres for the F-Type are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but I am not sure they come in the correct sizes for a base model.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brake pads should I buy for rear and front ?

I have a leased 2017 Jag F type (premium). Light just came on saying I needed new pads. Any recommendations as to where to find these or what model I should buy?

Old 08-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by luanbai
I have a leased 2017 Jag F type (premium). Light just came on saying I needed new pads. Any recommendations as to where to find these or what model I should buy?
Love the porterfield rs4! Can’t go wrong

Old 08-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Breaker841
Love the porterfield rs4! Can’t go wrong
+1. Less dust and less initial grabiness than the OEM pads, but also less relative pedal pressure needed for the same braking force. Only 1-2 hundred miles of ordinary driving needed to properly seat them on the rotor.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Less dust and less initial grabiness than the OEM pads, but also less relative pedal pressure needed for the same braking force. Only 1-2 hundred miles of ordinary driving needed to properly seat them on the rotor.
I also found that they resisted overheating much better, and had a more consistent feel than stock pads when driven hard!

Old 08-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I also found that they resisted overheating much better, and had a more consistent feel than stock pads when driven hard!
+1. I forgot to mention that.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple things to note, the Porterfields are good for street but do NOT take to HPDE or track. (I know IntoxicatingSound said he is not tracking) but I don't want someone reading this thread to misunderstand. The pads are better than OEM on street, but I melted them in one day at the track. I found out after the fact that they make a different version (very similar name) for the track.

I still haven't found a good track pad for the F-Type. Using EBC Yellow Stuff now and they perform well, but don't hold up very long.

As for the pad size. "premium" brakes is an option and comes on the base and the S (I'm not sure if it comes on others, but I have the 2017 F-Type S with Premium brakes). The size is 380mm front and 325mm rear. But as others have suggested, you should measure your pads to make sure.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by reznik6044
A couple things to note, the Porterfields are good for street but do NOT take to HPDE or track. (I know IntoxicatingSound said he is not tracking) but I don't want someone reading this thread to misunderstand. The pads are better than OEM on street, but I melted them in one day at the track. I found out after the fact that they make a different version (very similar name) for the track.

I still haven't found a good track pad for the F-Type. Using EBC Yellow Stuff now and they perform well, but don't hold up very long.

As for the pad size. "premium" brakes is an option and comes on the base and the S (I'm not sure if it comes on others, but I have the 2017 F-Type S with Premium brakes). The size is 380mm front and 325mm rear. But as others have suggested, you should measure your pads to make sure.
I think you are mixing up model names and brake package names.
The word "premium" confused the hell out of me for a long time but I finally figured out that it is/was a US/North America only model name for what was previously known as the plain or "base" F-Type, starting with the 2017 MY. As far as I can figure out it was then used for a while to distinguish the "base" V6 from the 4 potter F-Type, before the "R-Dynamic" model name was invented to add even more confusion.
Putting aside the CCM brakes, the various brake packages have been unchanged since the F-Type first came out in 2013:
"Performance" brake package = 355 mm front and 325 mm rear.
"High Performance" = 380 mm front and 325 mm rear.
"Super Performance" = 380 mm front and 376 mm rear.
The F-Type "Premium" came stock with the "Performance" brakes but it could be optioned with any of the other brake packages.

Last edited by OzXFR; 08-09-2019 at 10:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
reznik6044 (08-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Brake pads, rotors, and tires on leased F-Type