F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break Dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break Dust

Does anyone know if it is normal to have a large amount of break dust on front rims? After I wash my car and clean the rims, within a week there is a fine layer of break dust on my rims. Within 2 weeks, the entire rims are covered in a fairly thick layer of dark gray break dust. Is this normal or do I have an issue with my breaks? My breaks work properly but I do have a slight squeak in the front breaks.

Thanks,

Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerpaulsen
Does anyone know if it is normal to have a large amount of break dust on front rims? After I wash my car and clean the rims, within a week there is a fine layer of break dust on my rims. Within 2 weeks, the entire rims are covered in a fairly thick layer of dark gray break dust. Is this normal or do I have an issue with my breaks? My breaks work properly but I do have a slight squeak in the front breaks.

Thanks,
Absolutely normal with the OEM pads.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:39 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

It slowly gets somewhat better.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
It slowly gets somewhat better.
When? I'm 14 months in and the dust is still insane. I have to clean them after a ten mile drive.
(And I'm too cheap to change the pads before I need to.)
I use a 1 1/2 inch sash paint brush to dust them off between washings--only takes a couple minutes and the sash style gets into the corners.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Well, the Jag will turn 50,000 miles on the commute home today, and the car turns 6 years old tomorrow. Dust is still there, but not as bad. Can drive it for a few weeks without the wheels getting yucky, assuming it hasn't rained.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I recommend Sonax as a wheel cleaner, followed by an application of Pinnacle makes a "Diamond Wheel Coating" spray that will slow down the build-up. Even a little regular wax will help. I'm 5 years in and can see some improvement over time. Brake dust is now only the second most likely thing to prompt a wash (#1 being the exhaust tips; I'm always in Dynamic mode.)

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (06-21-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

Our silver F with black top and charcoal fender accents looks GOOD with the wheels dusty! The darkening front wheels are just another complimentary 'tone' of the color pallet on this car.

That said, I wash the wheels twice as often as I wash the entire car....

Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just wash it and not worry about it. I'm right there with Uncheel. My exhaust tips turn black quickly. I like to push down on the gas pedal, listen to the sound of the motor, and watch the other cars get smaller in my rear view mirror.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

The pads dust the wheels so badly that a friend with a BMW commented, and I've long considered them the benchmark for "too much brake dust." When I'd wash the whells I'd always think "Oh, yeah. THAT's what color they are!"

Much better with the Porterfields. My only gripe with the Porterfields is the poor pedal feel in heavy rain. When the brakes are cold and very wet, the pedal effort goes way up and the feel goes down.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The pads dust the wheels so badly that a friend with a BMW commented, and I've long considered them the benchmark for "too much brake dust." When I'd wash the whells I'd always think "Oh, yeah. THAT's what color they are!"

Much better with the Porterfields. My only gripe with the Porterfields is the poor pedal feel in heavy rain. When the brakes are cold and very wet, the pedal effort goes way up and the feel goes down.
+1.
I don't mind the lack of feel of the Porterfields in the (very) wet as that is maybe once or twice a year for me, at all other times they are great and they are well worth the dust reduction alone.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

I installed low-dust Semi Metallic Centric Posi-Quiet pads when I lowered the car. HUGE difference in the dust build-up.
Another reason I can't stand brake dust is that it gets in the wash mitt when you wash the wheels. I use different mitts on the wheels as compared to the body, but brake dust is nasty.
That stuff HAS to scratch the paint on the wheels when washing them. Microscopically, certainly, but scratches none the less.

Last edited by Tork Monster; 06-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
+1.
I don't mind the lack of feel of the Porterfields in the (very) wet as that is maybe once or twice a year for me, at all other times they are great and they are well worth the dust reduction alone.
Yeah. You'll note that I did not say I swapped the back. I'll consider EBC next time, but have not made a decision.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
I installed low-dust Semi Metallic Posi-Centric pads when I lowered the car. HUGE difference in the dust build-up.
Another reason I can't stand brake dust is that it gets in the wash mitt when you wash the wheels. I use different mitts on the wheels as compared to the body, but brake dust is nasty.
That stuff HAS to scratch the paint on the wheels when washing them. Microscopically, certainly, but scratches none the less.
Tork, I suspect you meant Centric PosiQuiet semi-metallic.
I used two different sets of them on my old XFR (same brakes as the F-Type "super performance") for a year or so, and yes they were lower dust than the OEM pads.
But IMHO only about 1/3 to 1/2 the dust of OEM whereas I find the Porterfields to be 1/4 or less of the OEM. The Porterfields are also quieter and more progressive than the PosiQuiets, I suggest you give them a try next time.

The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel
I recommend Sonax as a wheel cleaner, followed by an application of Pinnacle makes a "Diamond Wheel Coating" spray that will slow down the build-up. Even a little regular wax will help. I'm 5 years in and can see some improvement over time. Brake dust is now only the second most likely thing to prompt a wash (#1 being the exhaust tips; I'm always in Dynamic mode.)
Those trumpet tips on the V6 will soot up again as soon as you fire up the car after washing them. No more issue with the straight tips on the VAP exhaust. They stay shiny on the outside and coal black on the inside. (The trumpet tips are a lot cooler looking, though).

Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Agreed, the standard brake pads produce loads of dust, the front ones seem to produce more than the rear. It spoils looks of silver standard wheels.

I would love an effective way to make the
wheels easier to clean and keep clean, possibly some coating or wax might make the dust easier to remove.

I just had replacement brake pads all round and had genuine Jaguar pads fitted as I didn't wish to alter braking performance and feel.

Last edited by Paul_59; 06-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Agreed, the standard brake pads produce loads of dust, the front ones seem to produce more than the rear. It spoils looks of silver standard wheels.

I would love an effective way to make the
wheels easier to clean and keep clean, possibly some coating or wax might make the dust easier to remove.

I just had replacement brake pads all round and had genuine Jaguar pads fitted as I didn't wish to alter braking performance and feel.
As they do the majority of the work................am interested in all the info on waxes, coatings, etc

Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

There are a number of threads where folks discuss the various spray-on products they use.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

Did wheel wax a couple of years ago, not worth the effort. Better pads only real answer.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Those trumpet tips on the V6 will soot up again as soon as you fire up the car after washing them. No more issue with the straight tips on the VAP exhaust. They stay shiny on the outside and coal black on the inside. (The trumpet tips are a lot cooler looking, though).
That's interesting. I have zero soot on my exhaust tips, in fact, I've been amazed at how clean they've stayed and rarely even have to wash them. Maybe I'm not driving my car hard enough...

Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DanL
That's interesting. I have zero soot on my exhaust tips, in fact, I've been amazed at how clean they've stayed and rarely even have to wash them. Maybe I'm not driving my car hard enough...
If the car is backfiring, as it should under specific conditions (snap, crackle, pop), you should be experiencing a lot of sooting.

Quick Reply: Break Dust