Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Buying New Rear Differential, Two Part Numbers? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/buying-new-rear-differential-two-part-numbers-257208/)

MrKhacheerio 03-21-2022 12:08 PM

Buying New Rear Differential, Two Part Numbers?

So my rear differential is on its way out at about 41K miles, I've gone over what I'm going to be doing with a few independent shops and they recommend ordering the part myself and coming to one of them once I get my hands on it. I'm perusing the interwebz figuring out which part I need, but it seems like there are two part numbers that would work for a 2016 F Type R:

https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...UtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz
--and--
https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

I see that the description for the more expensive one says "New. To Chassis/VIN K31173." and both entries are highlighting the exact same components, but what exactly does that mean? My VIN ends in K29645, so my first guess is that the more expensive one may not work for my car because my VIN precedes the one listed. Does anyone have any kind of backstory they can give me on the difference?

Jagauf 03-21-2022 02:15 PM

I just replaced mine last year and was wondering the same thing. The dealer told me the cheaper one was just the diff, didn't come with the motor our mounting plate for the LSD functions and a couple other parts. the more expensive was basically the plug and play. I went to Car-Part.com and searched for a salvage yard diff with low miles. Ended up picking one up that had 3K miles on it for less than 1K shipped to my door. If you do search on the site I listed make sure to search Carrier Assembly, as it wont pull up any results when you look at differential.

Andi Jaguar G 03-22-2022 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrKhacheerio (Post 2508100)
So my rear differential is on its way out at about 41K miles, I've gone over what I'm going to be doing with a few independent shops and they recommend ordering the part myself and coming to one of them once I get my hands on it. I'm perusing the interwebz figuring out which part I need, but it seems like there are two part numbers that would work for a 2016 F Type R:

https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...UtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz
--and--
https://www.jaguarparts.com/oem-part...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

I see that the description for the more expensive one says "New. To Chassis/VIN K31173." and both entries are highlighting the exact same components, but what exactly does that mean? My VIN ends in K29645, so my first guess is that the more expensive one may not work for my car because my VIN precedes the one listed. Does anyone have any kind of backstory they can give me on the difference?

Is our rear diff a problem? Have the F Type much trouble with it?
BR
Andi

Jagauf 03-22-2022 01:39 PM

There were some that went out with incorrect preload on the bearings which have led to premature wear. Mine started whining around 43k

Andi Jaguar G 03-22-2022 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jagauf (Post 2508431)
There were some that went out with incorrect preload on the bearings which have led to premature wear. Mine started whining around 43k

Ah OK, thank you for this feedback. Can I do something bevor, or driving till the problem and the end is coming?

Jagauf 03-22-2022 05:09 PM

That I can't answer, but keeping the oil changed at regular intervals would most likely be the most helpful in keeping it healthy.

MrKhacheerio 03-22-2022 06:44 PM

I just replaced mine last year and was wondering the same thing. The dealer told me the cheaper one was just the diff, didn't come with the motor our mounting plate for the LSD functions and a couple other parts. the more expensive was basically the plug and play. I went to Car-Part.com and searched for a salvage yard diff with low miles. Ended up picking one up that had 3K miles on it for less than 1K shipped to my door. If you do search on the site I listed make sure to search Carrier Assembly, as it wont pull up any results when you look at differential.
Thanks, I didn't know that site existed; I went ahead and took a look but I don't think there are currently any listings I'd feel like taking a chance on. Also, on the recommendation of several gear shops in my area, I'm going to forego the option of going for a used one, they don't want to deal with the possibility of taking the car apart and then discovering that they need uncommon or heavily backordered parts. I mostly want to just know why there'd be two part numbers with such similar fitment before I make any kind of expensive order.

Rondog 03-23-2022 07:39 AM

I am with you on this. I've looked at both parts you listed. Even if the lower cost one doesn't include the motor and support, it still doesn't add up to the higher cost one. The fact they are both showing the same picture and parts is crazy. They are not very good at explaining or showing what your money is paying for. I would probably call a few different dealers and see what their opinions are as to why the cost difference.

MrKhacheerio 03-23-2022 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rondog (Post 2508658)
I am with you on this. I've looked at both parts you listed. Even if the lower cost one doesn't include the motor and support, it still doesn't add up to the higher cost one. The fact they are both showing the same picture and parts is crazy. They are not very good at explaining or showing what your money is paying for. I would probably call a few different dealers and see what their opinions are as to why the cost difference.

It took about 3 calls but I got some explanation for it: First off, for some reason what we see when we browse dealer websites and what the parts department of a given dealer sees is different; on our end, it might show that T2R6022 fits the 2016 F-Type R (even if you input your VIN), but that part is for a very specific range of VINs, I'm sorry I don't remember what the guy said but it starts at K1-something and ends before my VIN. That phrase "New. To Chassis/VIN K31173." isn't quite correct, or not updated, but the guy couldn't tell me why. Every dealer I called cited the T2R22213 as the correct part for my VIN. This part is indeed a differential "without the motor", but I've been told multiple times that this is the correct part. I ended up ordering T2R22213 from a dealer in Tennessee and all in, including the core charge and shipping, a new differential was $3,566 (an insane bargain, imo.).

DJS 03-25-2022 06:53 AM

Don’t forget there are 2-3 different final drive ratios. Make sure you get the right one.

MrKhacheerio 03-25-2022 02:18 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here; why would a single part number with matching fitment for my trim refer to multiple sets of gears with different final drive ratios? Is that a thing?