Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Cabin facing vents not blowing any air? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/cabin-facing-vents-not-blowing-any-air-214579/)

xxaarraa 03-03-2019 07:12 AM

Cabin facing vents not blowing any air?

Hey folks, Recently picked up a CPO 15R - climate control works acceptably in the sense it warms the interior, however NONE of the vents facing the occupants (either side of steering wheel, retractable center vent stack and passenger vents) are blowing any air. All air seems to be coming from the two rows of vents facing the windshield aka facing up. I haven't had AC turned on yet since its winter, only heat so far.

Is this a stepper motor issue? Or somehow part of the design??

scm 03-03-2019 07:28 AM

Do you have it on Auto, or how have you arranged the airflow? Jaguar recommends running AC (or Climate Control) all year to prevent it drying out.

xxaarraa 03-03-2019 10:30 AM

It's on Auto. When I said "I'm not running AC" I meant I don't set the cabin temperature lower than ambient temp.

scm 03-03-2019 10:39 AM

Is there air coming out of the floor vents? If it's on Auto maybe it's warming the cabin in as efficient a way as it seems fit - pumping hot air out of the top vents will just be warming the roof!

Morgan52 03-03-2019 10:48 AM

On your screen go to climate you will see this picture, just touch where you want the air to comme out...
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4e54ddf1f2.png

bjg625 03-03-2019 05:27 PM

Go to climate screen and pick your choice.

Morgan52 03-03-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625 (Post 2034900)
Go to climate screen and pick your choice.

Didn't I just say the same thing!!!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...7694676b04.jpg

rbsj 03-05-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 2034691)
Hey folks, Recently picked up a CPO 15R - climate control works acceptably in the sense it warms the interior, however NONE of the vents facing the occupants (either side of steering wheel, retractable center vent stack and passenger vents) are blowing any air. All air seems to be coming from the two rows of vents facing the windshield aka facing up. I haven't had AC turned on yet since its winter, only heat so far.

Is this a stepper motor issue? Or somehow part of the design??

As others have stated you can go to the climate screen and tell it where to discharge the air from, but what you have experienced from the just having the fan on or the Auto is normal for this time of year. The climate control sensors within the cabin of the car sense which vents to use to discharge the air from. In the winter that's usually the floor. I live in Chicago and during the summer with the AC or the fan on the center console pops up and is delivering most of the air nearly all the time. However, this past weekend it was 21 F, the roads were dry and the sun was out so I took the car out for a 5 hour drive. I had the heat on the fan setting at 74 F the entire time, but because I had the coupe moon roof shade open the entire time the cab started heating up and the interior sensors told the center pop up vent to kick into action about hour three to cool the cabin down a bit. I suspect that once it starts warming up in Dallas (in about a month) you'll see the center vent supplying a lot of your interior air.

sov211 03-05-2019 03:19 PM

Unless I totally misunderstood the OP's initial complaint, his problem is that there is no air at all exiting from the side dash vents or the central raised vent. That is, even though the centre vent has been automatically raised, there is no air flow from it. Perhaps the OP can confirm or correct this interpretation? Because if I am correct (that is, that the centre vent rises but no air comes from it) then there is indeed a problem with air distribution. On my car the vent only rises when cooled air is called for and there is never a time when the vent rises unaccompanied by air flow.
All of the advice given by others assumes that either the vent has not risen or that it rises accompanied by air flow (which is not what the original posting indicates).
So, which is situation?

Kdes 03-05-2019 03:25 PM

Just a thought - have you checked that the individual flaps are actually in the open position using the thumb wheels?

Kdes 03-05-2019 03:26 PM

Just a thought - have you checked that the individual flaps are actually in the open position using the thumb wheels?

xxaarraa 03-05-2019 04:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did check the climate screen and when I manually set the blower to come through the forward facing vents, they do work and blow air. Whenever I set it back to Auto, it goes back to blowing via the vent at the base of the windshield and via the footwell. I wonder if Jaguar feels like hot air coming from top and bottom is better than blowing straight on.

I will set the AC when it warms up and report back if cool air blows straight on.

rbsj 03-05-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 2035764)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did check the climate screen and when I manually set the blower to come through the forward facing vents, they do work and blow air. Whenever I set it back to Auto, it goes back to blowing via the vent at the base of the windshield and via the footwell. I wonder if Jaguar feels like hot air coming from top and bottom is better than blowing straight on.

I will set the AC when it warms up and report back if cool air blows straight on.

It will, or if it doesn't you will know it's not functioning correctly.

DJS 03-05-2019 04:20 PM

I have this issue in my XE. As I wanted some warm air to come out of the dash vents in the winter, I manually enabled the dash vents and floor vents. Car interior seemed to warm up pretty slowly on really cold mornings before I did that.

sov211 03-06-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by rbsj (Post 2035769)
It will, or if it doesn't you will know it's not functioning correctly.

You don't need to wait. Just set the cabin temperature to its lowest setting ( "LO" ) by rotating the knob to reduce the temperature. This will send the system into closing the heat flaps and producing refrigerated air only. The centre vent will rise and frigid air will be sent out if it does not, then check the air distribution settings and select the face setting). If after doing this there is no cold air exiting from the centre vent then there IS a problem. Please, please let us know the result You have no idea how often people ask for help and then fail to report whether the help has been...helpful.

xxaarraa 03-07-2019 12:31 PM

I can confirm that when set to LO, cold air does blow from the forward facing vents. So, it must be operating as designed: hot air from base of windshield and footwell and cool air from forward facing vents. Interesting, I haven't had any car in all the cars I have owned that operated this way. But everything seems to be working at this point, I will update this thread if that changes.

sov211 03-07-2019 03:15 PM

Good! Thanks for reporting...and Jaguars do things differently...

DJS 03-07-2019 04:50 PM

Yes. I had previously overridden 'auto' in my XE, but I noticed yesterday that warm air didn't blow through the two center vents, even though I had manually selected floor+dash (some time ago), and not defrost. It was less than 20F, and I guess it did what it wanted to. I have had warm air come out of those this winter at some point, I think!

JgaXkr 03-10-2019 03:44 PM

The older Jags never had heat from the center vent. They told us the theory is warm air at your face will tend to put you to sleep & also make your eyes water. That goes all the way back to the Series 2 XJ.

Morgan52 03-10-2019 10:11 PM

If I set on auto, then choose 25°C(77°F)my center vent rises and will start blowing warm air as soon as the motor is warm.