Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Car Dies at Low Speed (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/car-dies-low-speed-220902/)

HalcyonDays 07-23-2019 11:26 PM

Car Dies at Low Speed

Title says it all. It started last week and I thought with a new car I accidentally turned the car off slowing down at a Stop sign. At the time I was fiddling with several of the buttons on the dash. Quick recap: I took delivery of a '20 F Type R last Thursday afternoon. At the time the car had 24 miles on it, currently is has approximately 140 miles. It stalled three times today. The first time I convinced myself that I had (again) inadvertently turned the car off. This evening it died twice in quick succession. No chance it was driver error. At slow speed (less than 10 miles per hour) the car turns off, I apply the brakes and it puts itself in park. I then restart the car and I drive off. This evenings event happened about 2 minutes apart. I sadly will be towing it to the dealer in the morning. Any ideas on the cause? Very sad, at least I'm not a complete imbecile and turning the car off while driving.

Luc Lapierre 07-24-2019 01:57 AM

I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but there is an auto start/stop feature ("eco mode") - perhaps your dealer didn't inform you of this?

Paul_59 07-24-2019 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre (Post 2103290)
I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but there is an auto start/stop feature ("eco mode") - perhaps your dealer didn't inform you of this?

Yes but auto stop start only activates after coming to complete stop, 0 mph, not under 10mph

Luc Lapierre 07-24-2019 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59 (Post 2103294)
Yes but auto stop start only activates after coming to complete stop, 0 mph, not under 10mph

True, I figured someone should ask the question though.

My eco feature will engage while coasting to a stop in neutral at low speed (walking speed-ish). However I don't know if it acts or engages differently with the automatic transmission.

Unhingd 07-24-2019 06:42 AM

Does it only stall while applying the brake, or also when coasting to a stop without applying the brake?

HalcyonDays 07-24-2019 09:03 AM

Not Start/stop, but a fair question. I believe it happens when the brake is being applied, not positive. Busy dealing with it. I was up at 5 am this morning and at dealer by 6;30. handed them the keys, told them the problem, and then told them do not return it without a diagnosis and a fix that is implemented. They don't have a clue, which is always a good way to start a service call. Will check for codes, but they gave me a Nissan Rogue so I'm thrilled.

Nati 07-25-2019 06:19 AM

Some sort of faulty engagement of stop/start??

HalcyonDays 07-25-2019 04:49 PM

Just got off the phone with the SA. They drove the car over 27 miles and 40 minutes today and could not replicate the problem. They are doing their best, but at a loss as to how to proceed. I live in Houston and the dealer has a large Service Department. I am not castigating the repair people, but I am frustrated. I won't take the car back until a problem is found and resolved. I encourage anyone with useful advice to respond. Thanks.

BruceTheQuail 07-25-2019 05:02 PM

I'm not mechanically minded, but when it shuts off do all of the dash lights come up (usually on a stall various red lights come up like the battery light etc) or is it just business as usual but the engine isnt running?

HalcyonDays 07-25-2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2104045)
I'm not mechanically minded, but when it shuts off do all of the dash lights come up (usually on a stall various red lights come up like the battery light etc) or is it just business as usual but the engine isnt running?

Dash board lights up. Problem is that I'm busy trying to get the car going, so the sequence of events is not completely clear. Thanks.

lizzardo 07-25-2019 07:18 PM

I saw this once, when I left the oil cap off after taking a sample. Fortunately, the cap didn't get lost and replacing it put everything to right. I had another, similar situation where the battery terminal clamp was tightened down until the clamp ends met, so it wasn't actually clamping the post. The infotainment screen would go black and all the dash lights would flicker and/or flash, and then it'd be OK again. The problem was obvious once I started wiggling wires in the back. Again, once addressed by loosening the pinch bolt, spreading the clamp, and tightening properly, everything was back to normal.

I hope they find something and report it. The two problems I mentioned might have been discretely fixed by the at-fault technician and not reported had I not discovered them myself (and been the at-fault tech in one case).

If they insist they can't find anything and report it's all working as it should, consider insisting that someone go for a ride with you while you drive before you'll accept the car back.

Mpowerr 07-25-2019 07:26 PM

Get the car back, record the problem with your phone, GoPro, a dashcam, or any other way and go back to the dealer with that.

HalcyonDays 07-25-2019 08:26 PM

I appreciate the responses. Here's the reality, I don't know when it's going to happen. Even being prepared for it to happen, you're not truly prepared. It happens intermittently, and in traffic so I have to move fast since more than documenting the problem, my first goal is to (literally) survive the problem. On a positive note, the salesman that sold the car is involved, and the Sales Manager has reached out to me. They are great guys and both have assured me they will be involved and ultimately I will be satisfied. Everyone at the dealership from the service people, to the sales people are trying to help. Unfortunately, there is a process and intermittent problems that are also safety issues are complicated. I continually remind myself that I am fortunate for many things in life, and this is a minor diversion.

lizzardo 07-25-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays (Post 2104110)
Unfortunately, there is a process and intermittent problems that are also safety issues are complicated. I continually remind myself that I am fortunate for many things in life, and this is a minor diversion.

Good attitude, and I applaud you for it. I haven't always been in a position to appreciate that perspective, and am glad I now am. I use mine as a daily driver, but I know that it's a luxury car and if I really wanted a transportation appliance there were many far better choices. Good luck, and I hope you're F-Typing to your heart's content soon.

HalcyonDays 07-26-2019 09:05 PM

Update: After approximately 80 miles of driving by a tech and the service manager the car registered a code. One of the electric junction boxes in the rear of the car accessed through the trunk. Hopefully, by late next week I will be back in my car.

scm 07-27-2019 04:12 AM

Good news, hope they can get it sorted out and you can really enjoy your car.

HalcyonDays 07-30-2019 04:39 PM

Service Manager told me this morning that Jaguar National Tech said that the Electrical Junction Box would not cause a slow speed stall. Looking elsewhere for the problem.

frank barone 07-31-2019 11:55 AM

Please keep us posted on the results of dealers determination. Can the eco setting be disengaged from the console.
I personally don’t like the eco mode and would disable it.
frank future f type owner

Brutal 07-31-2019 02:17 PM

OzXFR 07-31-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by frank barone (Post 2106508)
Please keep us posted on the results of dealers determination. Can the eco setting be disengaged from the console.
I personally don’t like the eco mode and would disable it.
frank future f type owner

Two ways to disable the Eco mode:
1. There is a button on the centre console to turn it off, but you have to remember to press it every time you start the car which can be a chore for some (including me!)
2. Depending on model year and hence whether it has one battery or two you can either disconnect a cable (two battery set-up) or pull a wiring plug (one battery set-up), search these forums and you will find simple instructions on both.