Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Car & Driver Article on V6-S (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/car-driver-article-v6-s-160918/)

DPelletier 04-13-2016 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1440962)
Neither the V8 or the V6 are/were purpose built for the F-Type. They've both been around for years in virtually all Jaguar and Land Rover models, long predating the F-Type. However, they've both been continually developed.

The V6 is wonderful, reliable engine that's actually putting out more HP/liter than the 550HP V8s even in the base 340HP configuration.

Great clarification IMO.....these engine are everywhere in the JLR lineup and have been for some time now.

The IDEA of a shared/similar block may be distasteful to some people but the flip side is that the block is obviously capable of handling far more power than the V6 makes and the same goes for the tranny so those components being a bit "overbuilt" for the V6 application and HP has some value IMO. It can't hurt to share a bunch of other external components either.....

Sure it could have been perhaps 50 lbs lighter with a dedicated V6 block but really the difference is negligible in real life use unless you race your F type. I'd suggest the reliablity and longevity are more important concerns for 99.9% of owners.

2 cents,
Dave

DPelletier 04-13-2016 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1441166)
The buzzard in the tar pit is the R weighing over 3800 lbs.

Does anybody have real world weights on these cars; info online is all over the map...

I would imagine a V6 MT coupe is lightest and a V8R AWD roadster is heaviest...

So I'm curious;

- what is the difference between IDENTICALLY equipped V6's and V8's (20" rims, etc. etc.)

- MT vs. ZF

- Coupe vs. Roadster (thought I saw somewhere that the 'vert was 50 lbs heavier but I suppose the different roof options for the Coupe change things too.)

- AWD vs. RWD. Again, I believe I saw 170 lbs and 200 lbs somewhere though the 200 was likely a guess.

I'm sure nobody has all this info but.....

Cheers,
Dave

Foosh 04-13-2016 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier (Post 1441316)
Does anybody have real world weights on these cars; info online is all over the map...

I would imagine a V6 MT coupe is lightest and a V8R AWD roadster is heaviest...

So I'm curious;

- what is the difference between IDENTICALLY equipped V6's and V8's (20" rims, etc. etc.)

- MT vs. ZF

- Coupe vs. Roadster (thought I saw somewhere that the 'vert was 50 lbs heavier but I suppose the different roof options for the Coupe change things too.)

- AWD vs. RWD. Again, I believe I saw 170 lbs and 200 lbs somewhere though the 200 was likely a guess.

I'm sure nobody has all this info but.....

Cheers,
Dave

Great idea, which prompts me to make the following suggestion. The next time you see a truck stop on the highway, go into the area w/ the truck diesel pumps and next to them, you'll see a ramp with a truck scale. You can drive up on that scale and get your car weighed quickly.

In rather short order we could get weights for each model.

I use them routinely on my motor coach to ensure proper loading.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ac462939c.jpeg

DPelletier 04-13-2016 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1441324)
Great idea, which prompts me to make the following suggestion. The next time you see a truck stop on the highway, go into the area w/ the truck diesel pumps and next to them, you'll see a ramp with a truck scale. You can drive up on that scale and get your car weighed quickly.

In rather short order we could get weights for each model.

I use them routinely on my motor coach to ensure proper loading.

Yep, I was just thinking the same thing; I will endeavour to do just that and post it in a separate thread to see what we get. Would also be prudent to note how much fuel in the tank at the time so we can eliminate that variable.

Cheers,
Dave

TR64ever 04-14-2016 08:18 AM

Gone are the days when we opened the bonnet to show off our new motor.
Who knows what's under that black plastic cover? -- I'm happy with it! So I'm surprised that it's a V8 block, I think our cars have the best of German Engineering with a British Soul.

When I'm asked "what's the engine? how much horsepower?" my standard answer is:
"I don't know how it translates into horsepower, the F-Type is powered by a 45 kilowatt cold fusion reactor."

When my passenger asks "what's that crackling and popping when you ease off?" my standard answer is: "that's the sound of the excess power discharging out through the flux capacitor."

Foosh 04-14-2016 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TR64ever (Post 1441861)
. . . So I'm surprised that it's a V8 block . . .

Truth is, it's NOT a V8 block. That's what was misleading about the C&D article because they left so much of the story out, leading many to that less than accurate conclusion.

Externally, it looks exactly like a V8 block, but inside it's a completely different casting, and it's the internals that define what an engine is. Contrary to what some have been led to believe, JLR does not manufacture a V8 block and simply leave a couple of pistons out.

amcdonal86 04-19-2016 09:58 AM

I guess the question is--is the V6 engine any cheaper to produce than the V8?

DPelletier 04-19-2016 10:31 AM

...sure; two less pistons, rods, rings, smaller heads, etc. .....how much cheaper? well, less than $20K! LOL

Dave